Carrera 3.2 front wheel bearing

Hi all

Just had an MOT failure due to front offside wheel bearing. Plan to replace both sides, ECP sell a kit made by SNR - any recommendation about quality of SNR or suggestions about other quality bearing manufacturers or Porsche own?

Looking forward to your advise.

Yes they do, easy to nip up a bit if needed.

Replacement is pretty easy, make sure you freeze the bearing shell and heat the hub. A drift or socket the size of the shell is essential to drive the shell into place.

• 2 years later...

So, for the last couple of years I have always had an MOT advisory regarding slight play in front RHS wheel bearing.  Have checked play a few days ago (front of car raised) and noticed quite a bit of movement in 6 / 12 o'clock axis but nothing in 9/3 o'clock axis.  If I adjust/tighten to the point where washer/shim can still be moved with screwdriver then play still the same.  If I tighten as much as I can with fingers then washer wont move freely with screwdriver although play reduces but still quite evident - would guess at total of 1-2mm total movement at rim?   If I then just very gently coax adjuster with literally just a smidge more load than finger tightness then all discernable play disappears and wheel continues to rotate quite smoothly.

Q - How tight can adjuster be screwed down before any "real" risk of bearing damage/overheating - is the "washer must move with a screwdriver rule" really critical or ....???

Has anybody any advice or experience relating to the above? 

I’ve just done mine and you can certainly tighten more than finger tight

one note in manual, don’t lever against the hub to move the shim, just use the screwdriver with the force of your hand

Hope that makes sense 

The 'move the washer with a screwdriver' thing is so ambiguous its hard to use it as a gauge for how tight the bearing should be IMO, I use it to get in the right ballpark then tweak to balance wibble vs spinability :)

No wibble at 9&3 is a bit odd though, are you sure you havent got play elsewhere? 12/6 wibble can sometimes be the insert top nut not holding the insert snugly enough. Get a helper to hold the brake pedal down to take any wheel bearing wibble out of the equation and give it another wiggle to check for wibble elsewhere.

22 minutes ago, jevvy said:

The 'move the washer with a screwdriver' thing is so ambiguous its hard to use it as a gauge for how tight the bearing should be IMO, I use it to get in the right ballpark then tweak to balance wibble vs spinability :)

No wibble at 9&3 is a bit odd though, are you sure you havent got play elsewhere? 12/6 wibble can sometimes be the insert top nut not holding the insert snugly enough. Get a helper to hold the brake pedal down to take any wheel bearing wibble out of the equation and give it another wiggle to check for wibble elsewhere.

Thanks Jevvy & Vincent

The play albeit only at 12/6 rather than 9/3 definitely goes if I tighten beyond the point of washer movement so this would suggest something related to the bearing?   Was wondering whether taper shaft has worn so that it is out of round (hope not) ?   Will try the brake pedal test

I've found fairly bad wear on the spindle where the inner bearing rides in the past which typically wears 12/6, more at 6 o clock as thats where all the weight is. Might be worth whipping the hub off for a quick look / feel for any ridges.

1 hour ago, jevvy said:

I've found fairly bad wear on the spindle where the inner bearing rides in the past which typically wears 12/6, more at 6 o clock as thats where all the weight is. Might be worth whipping the hub off for a quick look / feel for any ridges.

Thanks Jevvy - so what if ?   Is a bit of play (how much) OK or should I be thinking about repairing the spindle?   I will pull hub off and have a measure.  What is process of correction, presumably hard weld rebuild and grind back?

• 1 month later...