Adding seat heaters

Bum warmers are used everyday outside summer in our daily.

I'd love have a go at fitting those to my Recaro PPs - my heating is marginal at best.

Anyone tried this? Looking at the instructions, the pads do seem to be able to be cut down, but I am wondering if I can simply sling them underneath the approx 1" foam inserts in my seats (on top of the cloth-covered fibreglass base) or whether they really need to be trimmed and placed inside the inserts on top of the foam, just under the cloth.

I am having my seats re-trimmed (sports seats, black leather, Targa 1984) and was considering getting electric seat heating retrofitted (added). The seats are manual (not motorised) so have non of the buttons.

Who is doing the retrim? I have seen aftermarket seat heaters fitted to a set of 911 seats by one of the well known trimmers and I cant say I was that impressed with their installation or their ability to warm the seat. Things might have been enhanced since but I suggest you ask for a look at an example installation or even better try some before committing.

Porsche factory heated seats are generally pretty good.

Anyone tried this? Looking at the instructions, the pads do seem to be able to be cut down, but I am wondering if I can simply sling them underneath the approx 1" foam inserts in my seats (on top of the cloth-covered fibreglass base) or whether they really need to be trimmed and placed inside the inserts on top of the foam, just under the cloth.

I think it would take a while to heat through the foam in some race seats and would lose most of the heat on its way through. Maybe you could instead buy some alternative foam and create some winter inserts with the heating elements fitted to the top of the foam and simply covered in something?

We fit them to most of the seats we get retrimmed, carbon ones are the best. They go on top of the main foam, normally the seat material has a thin scrim foam on the rear but the heat will penetrate this no problem.

You can cut holes in the carbon type but follow the instructions

I have heated pads in these seats.

7bb28ca72ae948d1b52b6174e7421ed4.jpg

which ones do you use Jon? I've been contemplating this too on my Recaro Furious/PP

Yup I'd be interested to know this too.

I'm considering new pads anyway (not keen on Pascha) so it would make sense as Jev says to make some up with two-piece foam and a heater element sandwich.

Thanks for all the replies - I'm using Southbound.

I think the fact that I have the manual not motorised seats may complicate things in terms of keeping look stock..

My reasons for installing are (a) it's aTraga, so roof off, it's easier for a passenger if there is some extra heat, (b) the seats are coming apart anyhow

The ebay kit looks interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

I've ordered some carbon fibre heaters which arrive tomorrow. I'm going to drill a hole in the ali Recaro mounts and add the switch there.

On the PPs there are a couple of issues which means I am not going to fit the heaters inside the panels. 

The backrest foam is very thin and sewn through the middle which means cutting the heater pads down to tiny size. Instead I think I'm just going to use them under the pads with some radiator foil to reflect heat into them.

Similarly the base is two piece - albeit much thicker - I'll try the same there (under the pads) before deciding whether or not just to cut one of the panels down and add it to just one of the pads.

Edited by reddevil

One question - I have 12v to the factory plug for the previously removed electric seats, so I am going to take power from there.

The 8-pin plug is a Mercedes part number - 0065458128 - does anyone know of a supply for the male side of this plug (would be attached to the harness on the seat) as I'd prefer not to tear into the factory wiring if possible.

You can order all those bits from Porsche, you got a copy of PET? They are all right at the back.

You could pop the cover off the back and just solder a few wires onto the terminals and then add some connectors to the wires - this will leave the original stuff in place.