Jump to content
Impact Bumpers
Carrera32TargaSp

Adding seat heaters

Recommended Posts

It's an 8-pole, here's the one on the car, so I need male. Can't really decipher the parts on the autoatlanta site Jev, seem to be 10 pole not 8...

I do wonder if some bullet-style connectors would fit into two of these, all the odd no's are ground, the evens +ve.

31906709824_69450f7f79_k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

~~ Deleting duplicate post ~~

Edited by reddevil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, reddevil said:

 

I do wonder if some bullet-style connectors would fit into two of these, all the odd no's are ground, the evens +ve.

 

Answering my own question..

 

32626376841_5fa8d745a9_k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got hold of a pair of these now. 

With the Pole Position pads you're really limited to where you can have the heat. The base is in two parts, and the rear panel is stitched through the middle, so I've just added it to the lower-back part.

I'm experimenting with the pad in the front of the base at the moment.

Low setting works a treat but on the high setting noting and if I fiddle with the relay I can hear it clicking. Guess it's duff?

 

32654846642_b7a437dbd1_k.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm looking at the wiring more closely on this... Admittedly I'm not good with electrics, but it does look a little strange.

Low setting seems to bypass the relay completely, which is a single pole double throw type (30/40A). On this setting the pads heat up nicely and there is a draw of 4-5amps at the fuse. +12v at the seat harness. Pads get nice and hot.

High setting switches the relay from 87 (bridged to coil +ve) with 87a (bridged to coil -ve). I now have -12v at the seat harness and about 1.2 amps at the fuse. Pads don't appear to do anything.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you get this sorted @reddevil? Was it a case of a relay already in the loom feeding the seat heat electrical connector? Looking at doing this and keen to hear from existing users. 

Edited by Busybee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I did. I think the switch was wired up the wrong way round (hi/low) and a 2nd set I bought the harness worked correctly. My electrical skills have increased in the interim, having had to build a full new loom for my rally car shortly after my posts above 😉

Has been installed two years and still working fine. 

I used a feed and earth from the factory electric seat plug and the relay that was supplied with the seat heat kit. From memory the plug under the seat is fused to perm live (same circuit as the electric windows) I actually modified the configuration of the under-bonnet fuse box to move this to a switched live (I think from fuse 2 to fuse 3 but check fuse box diagrams on the interwebs) which means there is no possibility of leaving the seat heat on with the car switched off.

This means the leccy windows now need the key to work but I think that is a better configuration anyway.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Yes I did. I think the switch was wired up the wrong way round (hi/low) and a 2nd set I bought the harness worked correctly. My electrical skills have increased in the interim, having had to build a full new loom for my rally car shortly after my posts above 😉

Has been installed two years and still working fine. 

I used a feed and earth from the factory electric seat plug and the relay that was supplied with the seat heat kit. From memory the plug under the seat is fused to perm live (same circuit as the electric windows) I actually modified the configuration of the under-bonnet fuse box to move this to a switched live (I think from fuse 2 to fuse 3 but check fuse box diagrams on the interwebs) which means there is no possibility of leaving the seat heat on with the car switched off.

This means the leccy windows now need the key to work but I think that is a better configuration anyway.

 

Brill. Thank you. Sounds pretty straightforward as long as I have the underseat connector (which I think I do). You put the heater elements under the foam with reflective tape on the base of the PP seats right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Brill. Thank you. Sounds pretty straightforward as long as I have the underseat connector (which I think I do). You put the heater elements under the foam with reflective tape on the base of the PP seats right? 

Not sure if your seat bases are the same as mine, I don't have reflective tape. I took the covers off and the pads should go between the foam and the cover on the bum side 😉

Actually a portion of my back pads are sewn in so I am going to buy some more elements and have them recovered (possibly in the tartan same as your car - unless I can find a supplier of the yellow Porsche tartan from the 991 GT3).

From memory on the driver's seat I actually used three elements not two and spliced in the third (the ebay looms are usually set up for 2 elements per seat).

I drilled a small hole in my Recaro side mounts and mounted the round switch discretely near the autoheat on the inside. It's covert, but hard to reach.

Edited by reddevil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meant did you add reflective tape? I have some so might add it under the cushions for a bit more heat. OK, pads go inside the cushions. Never taken my back cushions off so no idea if they're sealed up. Will check. Base cushions have a Velcro fastened seam underneath.

No idea how long the cables are but may extend and use one of the spare holes in my dash for the switch.

Thanks for the tips 👍 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got myself a seat of seat heat pads. Anyone fitted these in pole position pads? The base pads are tiny (2 pads) and the back pad is sewn through the middle   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes mine are pole positions. I put two in the base and one in the part I could access in the back.

I’m going to have some more pads made soon which will be an opportunity to have them built in a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Yes mine are pole positions. I put two in the base and one in the part I could access in the back.

I’m going to have some more pads made soon which will be an opportunity to have them built in a little better.

Did you cut them length ways to fit in the base and top pad? They'd be tiny. About half their original length and some of that is wasted as it has the feed wires in. Guessing if they are shorter, you'd have less heat output? 

I'm thinking of getting new pads made too. One piece base pads with a cutout for the 6 point buckle (like @Jon Miller's green/yellow seats) and a one piece rear pad but sewn through scrim foam so I can have full seat heating elements in the base and the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cut them down. Mine where the carbon fibre type.

They're not at the standard of the OEM bum frighteners in either of our "factory" BMW & VW road cars but they are more than adequate for the extra season that the pathetic heater in the car doesn't cover 😉

Before spending money on new pads... Take a trip through Hereford on some fun roads to Worcester, you can try the setup in my car for your liking and see how they are fitted, and you can have a go in the GT3 whilst we're at it. Can't say fairer than that.

 

Edited by reddevil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, reddevil said:

and you can have a go in the GT3 whilst we're at it. Can't say fairer than that.

I was thinking of fitting some seat heaters, can I have a go too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, reddevil said:

I cut them down. Mine where the carbon fibre type.

They're not at the standard of the OEM bum frighteners in either of our "factory" BMW & VW road cars but they are more than adequate for the extra season that the pathetic heater in the car doesn't cover 😉

Before spending money on new pads... Take a trip through Hereford on some fun roads to Worcester, you can try the setup in my car for your liking and see how they are fitted, and you can have a go in the GT3 whilst we're at it. Can't say fairer than that.

 

Yup, I got the carbon fibre type. Ahh thank you mate. I'd love that. Drive to Worcester would be fab. Great roads from here to you. Be superb to see how you've fitted them too. One weekend soon maybe? 

I like the tartan in my car but its the wrong colour tartan. Needs to be Jackie Stewart red. So If I change the covers, it'll be for that see ye jimmy look 

70384893_10220072681995114_7818999060563492864_n.jpg

8 minutes ago, jevvy said:

I was thinking of fitting some seat heaters, can I have a go too :)

You're from the toon. Seat heaters 😂 might melt you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interested in what you come up with as I also have Recaro PP's and no heat. If you can post an idiots guide to installation (with photos!) that would be grand :D  Failing that I might buy one of those heating element jackets you linked earlier!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Yup, I got the carbon fibre type. Ahh thank you mate. I'd love that. Drive to Worcester would be fab. Great roads from here to you. Be superb to see how you've fitted them too. One weekend soon maybe? 

I like the tartan in my car but its the wrong colour tartan. Needs to be Jackie Stewart red. So If I change the covers, it'll be for that see ye jimmy look 

70384893_10220072681995114_7818999060563492864_n.jpg

You're from the toon. Seat heaters 😂 might melt you! 

Do you have a photo of the tartan you’re thinking of? I want to get some new covers made up too and want a tartan, pref with a yellow in it.

 

29 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

Be interested in what you come up with as I also have Recaro PP's and no heat. If you can post an idiots guide to installation (with photos!) that would be grand :D  Failing that I might buy one of those heating element jackets you linked earlier!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thinking this but not sure if too red. I've only looked on eBay so far and the tartan cloth on offer there just seems too cheap. £8 a metre. Would want something heavier I think. 

Quick google search and this came up https://www.lochcarron.co.uk/macqueen-modern-heavy-weight-tartan-fabric/. If it's good enough for Macqueen..... lol And £70 a metre is more like a quality fabric I'm guessing.  

tartan red.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing a lightweight general use fabric will stretch and/or pull out shape quickly when used as a seat fabric as opposed to something like a shirt or even a throw pillow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...