"We go again" ....

11 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

Why would you think of ditching the Ti retainers?  For 30 years that has been a known and tested upgrade for big valve 911 engines looking for some safety margin in the event of over rev. 

+1 Half the weight of stock retainers :twocents:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Why would you think of ditching the Ti retainers?  For 30 years that has been a known and tested upgrade for big valve 911 engines looking for some safety margin in the event of over rev. 

Agreed. I wasn't aware of any downside of using them?  other than the cost, which you've already incurred anyway. 

Visited Neil today to collect some removed parts (DC20 cams and rods) - had a good look at this RSR wannabee (genuine RSR engine in a turbo body, 1700km only). 

And the noise at startup, so different to a standard 964.....

Hoping its all in ITBs :ani_clapping:

IMG_6128.JPG

IMG_6129.JPG

Edited by SP72

• 1 month later...

Not much progress to report - ITBs turned up today and look very purposeful. Still planning to use these with a 993 plenum however, I think they'll sound better with the trumpets. 

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2376.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, SP72 said:

Neil advises it’ll be done before Xmas, hopefully it will have been worth the wait.

Excellent, any idea which Christmas? :P  FIngers crossed it is all that you hope for this time.  Would make a cracking car even better.

Well, this is the first target date (assuming 2017) he’s provided since dropping it off back in Jan, so hopefully achievable!

You’re right thought, it has taken much longer than I anticipated  :kickrock:

I bought a Lexus LS400 back in January to smoke around in; it’s going to be a huge shock to the system stepping dropping back into the porker.

Anyone fitted a front centre armrest in an IB? :)

39 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Well, this is the first target date (assuming 2017) he’s provided since dropping it off back in Jan, so hopefully achievable!

How can it take him 11 months to build your engine? :o mine took about 6-7 weeks and only that because it crossed over the festive season. You need to apply a hot poker ;)

Like the look of those APT? Throttle bodies :)

Parts have become difficult to obtain and expensive and more people are spending the cash on maintenance given the value of the cars has gone up so much.  So in general, what may have been a £7k full rebuild with an indie back in 2007 is now a £17k rebuild and a waiting list of 12+ months for a respected top end indie. 

As soon as you go off the reservation and want something bespoke even the best shops will prioritise the run of the mill bread and butter stuff where they make their money and where customers will not accept delay (because there is no reason for it on run of the mill).

This is what I am told directly from my well respected indie.

I think we need to put Shirish under an IB obligation not to sell his car until he's used if for over 18 months and 7500 miles post rebuild!  Lexus indeed!

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 3:39 PM, SP72 said:

You’re right thought, it has taken much longer than I anticipated  :kickrock:

I bought a Lexus LS400 back in January to smoke around in; it’s going to be a huge shock to the system stepping dropping back into the porker.

Anyone fitted a front centre armrest in an IB? :)

So we're under a month away from Xmas, will the IB be in Santa's bag,..........................or is this going to a 12 month engagement!

7 hours ago, Beaky said:

So we're under a month away from Xmas, will the IB be in Santa's bag,..........................or is this going to a 12 month engagement!

Crossing all my digits for you, we all can’t wait to see and hear it in the flesh.