"We go again" ....

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’m with Shirish with accent on mechanicals and integrity rather than cosmetics but hey ho, each to their own! Sump or tank guards will not attempt to disguise oil leaks Ivan, it comes out of everything except the tyre valves! (And as been said, bl@@dy UK roads are heading for ‘Third World’ status)! I should get around to fitting my tank guard, maybe once I’ve dealt with the blooming exhaust which started of with a cracked cross-over pipe and has developed into a full blown exhaust overhaul! Sharing some photo’s ‘cause it makes me feel better!

Regards,

David

1697C09E-8742-418D-9634-5782440D55C4.jpeg

68C0DBEA-0E6C-405A-B36F-5810A6B76682.jpeg

782405CB-AE8D-4736-A037-604BB571CB71.jpeg

AB5D7164-50C2-420E-87A9-7D6E5769E8B7.jpeg

52BABAF8-3EB9-4A63-BD40-94014068C279.jpeg

30062944-B38A-48F2-B7BB-6A60406A6EA9.jpeg

75C2BE63-5E2A-4A28-BEE0-FD7DBA8844A5.jpeg

D67AE776-3FC7-40BA-A6E3-BF65C2A2F48D.jpeg

F354A013-47C1-4A31-9A63-60F74F22FBD3.jpeg

B2F5D3E3-A8D9-4B1F-8F37-C8BC46FB0CBE.jpeg

E4600629-801B-4E24-BB82-DE1BCFCA0701.jpeg

8EB8901B-CA95-449A-97BF-BE0D7562BC6F.jpeg

@GrahamTompkins that’s hilarious!

I’m both saddened (I could only make the smallest room) and humbled (you obviously remembered its the 10 year anniversary this year of that article - signatures available for a small cost)

@David Gander good luck with that David, looks like a mission.

A mission Shirish?......... I should have been a bl@@dy missionary! I have yet to release the heat exchangers from their captivity (probably been there for thirty years or so), but we’ll persevere with the the Dremmel and my new SGS gas armoury! I’ll defeat the blighters! Will post a few more photo’s soon just to share my misery with the faithful. My home-made shot blasting cabinet which has seen only the occasional use over the years has now been pressed into service what with blasting the years of rust from the removed exhaust pipe / waste-gate / waste-gate silencer all of which have come up really well. Several coats of heat resistant paint and a heat-gun stuffed up the orifice for an hour has had very pleasing results. Quite chuffed to say the least. I resisted the temptation to use our new induction cooker in the kitchen to cure the paint as I value the remaining years of my life more than the cooker’s undoubted abilities.......and my Wife’s eagle-eye and all-seeing and uncanny knack of knowing the unknowable! (I also have not used the dish-washer for the same reason, preferring the safer option of the dog’s bath next to the garage for washing car parts).

David.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:16 PM, proporsche said:

i see a lot of you boys on your big island are using the fiber made bumpers.I assume because of the weight?Then again you put on an extra underbody metal plates to add weight?What is the plate protecting your 911 from .On engine is to hide oil leaks??;-)

somebody tell me why?

Ivan

The skid plate is at the front and very low down - so its "good" weight.  Rear bumper is the very definition of "bad" weight.  And the alley plates are fairly LW.

I can't recall seeing any 911, even at std road height that didn't have some scarring on the underside of the fuel tank and/or damage to the towing eye, so the skid plate makes sense to me.  If you have lowered to a sports purpose height it becomes a very vulnerable area.  I hit and bent my skid plate a couple of times in the alps on different trips sufficient to warrant removing it and beating it back into shape mid-trip.  I scraped it many times, so it was extremely worthwhile for me.  Only downside was it made replacing a fuel pump a right PITA.

seem to remember that the ali plates that Henry made don't weigh much different to the big steel one that came off, but they also add more protection over a greater area and smooth the air out under the car.

I bought a new breather pipe to replace the split one, and replaced it when I collected the car this morning.  Felt kinda strange to take a Stanley knife to a new £40 hose but need must.  I was surprised to find the brass hose restrictor still fitted.  It didn’t make a difference to the idle when the oil cap was removed, so I’ve left it out for now.

Had a nice drive up to the DDK meet - unsure if it was the cooler weather this morning, or the engine is loosening up, but it feels fantastic above 3k.  Probably down to the increase in compression and twin spark, but it feels much more alive than before, so much grunt and the extension in powerband is useful too - another short clip:

As mentioned there is an issue in the map (I think), and bizarrely always between 2800-3000, irrespective of what gear I am in.  I’m hopeful the road remap session on 29/3 can sort it.  It’s not a biggie, just annoying when it happens as I’m anticiapting it now and not focusing on the road.

Ive also found a leak in the ‘triangle of death’ - I though this would have been picked up, again, I’m hoping an easy fix.

9 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Nice Ruby Stone jumper SP. was that a flat out pull then? Sounds gorgeous 👍

Thanks - sleeve is a slightly different shade though ;) 

I was told the limiter was at 7200.... it appears somewhat lazy

7 hours ago, SP72 said:

Thanks - sleeve is a slightly different shade though ;) 

I was told the limiter was at 7200.... it appears somewhat lazy

That’s the light 😂

Do you mean she’s revving to 7200 easily or struggling to get that high Shirish? 

19 minutes ago, Busybee said:

That’s the light 😂

Do you mean she’s revving to 7200 easily or struggling to get that high Shirish? 

Sorry - i meant it pulls through 7200 easily; it got there in its previous incarnation, but I was waiting a ‘soupçon’ longer

4 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Sorry - i meant it pulls through 7200 easily; it got there in its previous incarnation, but I was waiting a ‘soupçon’ longer

Awesome. You’ll have to show me. Is the acceleration pretty vicious or does it come in gradually? And hey, don’t go revving my engine, sorry, I mean your engine so hard! 😂😜🤪

14 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Awesome. You’ll have to show me. Is the acceleration pretty vicious or does it come in gradually? And hey, don’t go revving my engine, sorry, I mean your engine so hard! 😂😜🤪

Although the cams would be pretty peaky in say a 2.7, in a 3.5 they’re relatively mild, so it comes in gradually.  All very controllable.

Just running it in for you, sunshine!

14 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Although the cams would be pretty peaky in say a 2.7, in a 3.5 they’re relatively mild, so it comes in gradually.  All very controllable.

Just running it in for you, sunshine!

Carefully I hope 😂 She sounds like she has quite long gearing or is that just the rev range I wonder. On my standard IB’s, it’s all over by 5500rpm. Reckon I’d need to change gear twice in my 3.0 to your single gear. The 3.0 revs up very quickly.

2 minutes ago, SP72 said:

I’d love to get some closer gear ratios, but alas, the cupboard is bare....

You don’t need them. With all that power and range, you could just sit there in third all day on an A road devouring corners. 

2 minutes ago, GrahamTompkins said:

@Busybeeand @SP72  this chitchat drivel is irritating me....take it to Facebook or WhatsApp perhaps.?

If it’s just me , maybe I’ll just have to put up with it

Oi, it's not even your thread! I've been put off Facebook for life by the Jev Meister. Was asking some very important questions god dammit lol 

1 hour ago, GrahamTompkins said:

@Busybeeand @SP72  this chitchat drivel is irritating me....take it to Facebook or WhatsApp perhaps.?

If it’s just me , maybe I’ll just have to put up with it

....or bugger off (no offence 🙂). It’s free country. Antisocial media is slowly killing some forums. 

Just as well you went here when Jake and I conversed in German or ‘Allo ‘Allo French. That would have made your teeth itch.

Carry on with the chitchat drivel chaps.

VT

Listen very carefully. I will say this only once 🤣

Embrace the "drivel" Graham. All part of the ownership and shared experience. It's not all about what oil to use or which tyres to run mate.