"We go again" ....

I was trying to be polite :) :)

In other news, I had a blip on the way back from Brands today - the car seemed a bit sluggish and unresponsive to the pedal when heading home.  A few loud backfires thrown in too, so pulled over; restarted, let it idle for a while and it was back to normal. Drove perfectly all the way home.

It felt a bit like when my CHTS gave up on the drive back home from purchase 13 years ago - maybe time for a new one, but will get it checked out.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Re the spacer - is yours a flat-ish Momo like mine or more dished?  I miss the dish of the Martini 350mm (Mod 07 esque), but prefer the diameter of the 370.  Hopefully I can reach a happy compromise.

It's a Momo California. It has a little bit of dish but not much.

14 minutes ago, Kenny Senior said:

It's a Momo California. It has a little bit of dish but not much.

Thanks dude - a 10mm spacer might just do it, I may even have one.

Tempted by the quick removal hubs, but concerned if it was at home that would give a ‘perp’ a reason to break in to the house.

17 hours ago, SP72 said:

Yes Nader - this is all your fault.  It was that specific time - me (+ Fraser), you, Stephen, and Ian going for it on an upward curved stretch and I couldn’t make any ground on you at all. I kinda knew then that things were not right.  Hope you’re happy with yourself :) 

16 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

Don't blame Nader - blame the +1🐘...

Was that really 2015? Sheesh...

@Dr Rock Yes it was 2015 as I had just gotten my IB in June and was on my first IB meet.

@SP72 Perhaps you should get your own back by taking me to the same spot ... I'm sure with or without Fraser you'll easily pull away and I end up spending a fortune on a power hike. We (Car & I) have lost a combined 100 kg but doubt it will make up the power deficit. I probably stand a better chance of keeping up with my 73.

Edited by Mondrian

@Mondrian tell me where it was, we can go from there.  Need to meet to handover your badge.

Saying that, my car ran really badly back to  storage today, so it wouldn’t take much to over power. 

Pretty certain it’s the CHTS - better when warm, strong smell of fuel, jerky, lumpy idle etc.   I was trying to recall how to jump/bridge connections to bypass the sensor using but ran out of time this morning. @jevvy pretty sure you posted this before?

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

@Mondrian

Pretty certain it’s the CHTS - better when warm, strong smell of fuel, jerky, lumpy idle etc.   I was trying to recall how to jump/bridge connections to bypass the sensor using but ran out of time this morning. @jevvy pretty sure you posted this before?

Meant to say above......

Could be Lambda sensor. I have a new one on order due to some similar symptoms, although not as pronounced as yours seem to be. Can you plug yours into a computer to see what's happening?

Could be Phil - technically it’s possible,m to view things in the laptop but I have  not coughed up the £150 you need to spend in the USB dongle.

Hopefully a resistance test on the sensor will prove one way or t’other.  It’s 13 years old and made who knows where by Bosch, so surprised it’s lasted this long.

£150 is a lot but worth it. With mine I can see everything that is going on a tablet while I drive, AFR, EGO correction, revs, engine temp, advance, intake air temp etc etc. It gives a good idea if something is not right and it can be checked before it affects anything else.

11 hours ago, proporsche said:

sp what is next with your 911?? I am very surprised that when doing you engine several times the mechanics did not change it,,really strange??

Ivan

Does this mean when working on a customer’s car, you change everything, even if it’s working fine?

well?  If i do work on the engine,  absolutely no question asked, I will replace this sensor. Anytime , and even the reference sensors both...it is a little cost then having an headache like you do ,so many times after i do not even know how many tries, of rebuilds??Ask Riviera Bob.I did his engine. He did by now 13K and not a single problem and he is using only 1/3 of Liter of oil  per 1000 miles....

Sp.. if i do engine i make sure the client is not coming back at least for a year.....

Ivan

the sensors were replaced with my engine rebuilds too, seemed a no-brainer to me when you see the state the existing sensors are normally in from heat degradation etc.

Ahh Shirish, don't you worry mate. Chuck a new sensor on it and get those 340+ horses singing sweet again. Monster that car of yours. They had proper development work to do on yours not just a straightforward rebuild, right. 

Niggles, part of the journey with 30+ year old cars. But get it sorted before we do our Wales outing! lol 

Shirish, I don't post much but seeing as I was mentioned above, want to add that I'm sure everyone on here wants you to be having more joy than this. You deserve it for all the time and hard earned cash chucked at the project. I'm sure there is no 'schadenfreude' meant from anyone. You have a lovely car - keep the faith!

Bob

Shirish, don't close the thread. It's very interesting reading about the good points and the little niggles that come up and their solutions. I appreciate that, at this point, you are well pissed off again due to another problem but it will come right. I have a problem with mine at the moment and I know how you feel but it will get sorted. Fundamentally, it's there, there will always be worn out parts on any car, let alone a hot rod.

Yup, I love hearing about your car Shirish. All of our cars have ups and downs if we use them. They're old tech. Supposed to be "interesting". Like us as we get older, more visits to the quack! 

Ha spot on Busy!

I think all classic cars are part pleasure part pain, I've had a few ups and downs with mine over the years. You have some serious trick kit in your rebuild so bound to be the odd gremlin that needs ironing out. Might not help that you are leaving it sitting about for a few weeks at a time. I try to give my little fleet a run out each at least one day a week if I can.