Scottish restoration (1985 Carrera)

Andy352

I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago. Was going to get the car through an MOT and run it for the summer then start a restoration, after a bit of digging I realised it would be as well just getting it stripped ready for welding.

I've stripped the interior to check the problem areas beneath the rear seats, all looking very good in there.

Fuel filler area also looking fine.

I've been reading lots on this forum, have been taking loads of photos and bagging and tagging everything I've removed so far.

Planning to build a sand blast cabinet for use with my cylinder blaster and have already been very kindly offered an engine stand and Porsche yolk.

Engine bay nearside.JPG

Offside wing backwards.JPG

Kidney bowl offside.JPG

Boot front offside.JPG

Battery area 3.JPG

911 008.JPG

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy,

Many moons ago I bought a blue 3.2 from Scotland and all of those rusty areas look very familiar and I have had to sort every one of them.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but these cars don't generally rot on the rear seats too bad but there is a very good chance that there is a lot more lurking deeper. Have you removed the sill covers and had a good look around the B post and kidney bowls yet as these are classic areas for our cars to rot and by the time you see it then it often needs a fair bit of surgery!

Loads of info on here and plenty of help if you want to get stuck in - I'd always try to get a ticket on the car first before you dig too deep just to keep your options open and so you don't have to trailer it everywhere if needed.

Best of luck.

Hi Andy, Welcome to this excellent forum, good advice from Alex and depending on what develops, don't get down hearted as all problems can be overcome. These cars often will throw a curved ball but hang in there, the rewards will come! (It's addictive!)

regards,

David.

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the group!

I bought my 82 SC a few years ago now knowing it was a bit rusty in the usual places (sill, B-posts, kidneys and floor edge) I had to get my first summer out of it before attacking it with a grinder.

Love the car and the colour.........good luck. Will follow with interest......plenty pictures please.

Craig

Yes some work there for sure , very similar to mine to when I first bought it all work done now though and nearly all forgotten .Definitely worth it .

Hope the sills are not too bad , better with an original car with no work done previously than one which has had shoddy work done ,easier to put right . 

Thanks for all the replies,  B pillars and kidney bowls definitely needing renewed. I'll take the outer sills, bumpers and front wings off next to see what lurks beneath!!

Won't get downhearted with it, just going to take my time and do it as finances allow.

Will keep this post updated with photos and of course questions. 

Stripped front suspension off the car today, I've got a couple of questions.

The bushes on the ends of the steering rack that the tie rods connect too are done and the metal bits that the gaters slip over are rusted away. Can these be stripped off the ends of the steering rack?

Can these Boge shock inserts just be replaced? There was also a washer in the bottom of the shocks, is this supposed to be there?

003.JPG

Shock absorber 2.JPG

Shock absorber.JPG

33 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

Agree with Andy ref the turbo tie rods but be careful which ones you buy as some cheaper ones don't last very long at all.

Ian

Thanks, any recommendations?

I've just read all of Chris 911's suspension refurb, very interesting.

Hi Andy,

I would focus on the bodywork for the moment - everything else is more or less a bolt-on job.

For sure your front inner wings are shot - replacement panels are now available, but quire spendy.

I would also suggest that your B-posts will be shot too - if you are doing the kidney bowls, you might as well do the B-posts at the same time..

Same with cills in the area below the KBs - most likely to be shot.

Get the outer cill covers off and all the nastiness will be revealed. It can be quite shocking when you first see it!

I will post up some examples of what I found if you want.

Also, what reading material do you have?

The following are recommended:

Haynes manual

Bentley

PET parts list (available free as pdf) - this can be very helpful when figuring out how things go together.

101 Projects

If you are over on the west side of the country anytime, I would be happy to meet and share my experiences.

Regards

Alastair

14 minutes ago, alastair said:

And then this....

Seems like ages ago now.

Thanks Alastair, I've read right through your "naked 30 year old" post, very helpful reading. I know what you're saying about the bodywork but don't have the money for all the required panels at the moment so just trying to refurbish parts as I remove them.

Wings should be coming off this week to see what lurks below.

16 hours ago, Andy352 said:

Thanks, any recommendations?

I've just read all of Chris 911's suspension refurb, very interesting.

Lemforder turbo tie rods are what you want.

It's the drop links that the rubber falls out.

Had a good day today in the garage. Stripped out all the windows and took off the oil cooler and pipes. Finding more corrosion every day which I am expecting, also finding some dodgy wiring and some shoddy repairs to metalwork which I wasn't expecting. 

1 hour ago, Andy352 said:

Thanks Alex.

No worries, you couldn't do me a favour could you? 

I'm after a photo of an open sunroof as per the pic at the bottom of my long tedious thread. My sunroof runners were attached with a pop rivet so was wondering what was actually supposed to attach them as I can't see it on PET. It's the one circled below.

http://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13338-alexs-36-engine-transplant/&do=findComment&comment=346989

20170219_174258-1_zpsvzsobocf.jpg

Haha, no, not really - just realised they are underneath so don't worry about it, I think it's probably just the same screw as the others but when a P.O. used pop rivets he opened up the hole so I'll just find some bigger self tappers & make them fit!

Thanks anyway :)

• 5 months later...

597f88c35c41b_Frontsuspension.thumb.JPG.b2cc6a4afacb7545674d9ef6f24ac843.JPG597f89257e4c4_Frontsuspensionassembly2.thumb.JPG.40cf6202cfabc5d25773a154acd2ea53.JPG597f898471a83_Brakecalipersealkits.thumb.JPG.77511e0ab94e0789302960673a224866.JPG597f8af22d3f0_Innerwingnearsideshock.thumb.JPG.3167067ce3e244238e55e30c2112428b.JPG597f8b95a6c17_Innerwingrepairnearside.thumb.JPG.330959befd68ef798712dfcdeca1e84b.JPG597f8c16a4a8c_Innerwingnearsideshockmountrepair.thumb.JPG.4b8096d26d70ea3d59866541dc5a0677.JPGHad my car out of the garage for the first time in months, sorted out all the rust at the front end and rebuilt the front suspension with new shocks, bushes, ball joints and turbo tie rods. Took the car out so I could turn it round, next job is dropping the engine then on to the serious welding and panel replacement. Sills, B posts and kidney bowls on both sides.003.thumb.JPG.7e3d5927d5021aedd152882d45ac4f06.JPG