Scottish restoration (1985 Carrera)

Andy352

15 hours ago, craigt said:

Looking good Andy!!

It's really satisfying when you've cut out the rot and its going back together......you know it's been done properly.

Cheers Craig, really satisfying as you say. Some days the welding can be a bit frustrating but I just walk away and go back to it another day. That's the good thing about not having a tme scale. 

Hope your's is coming along nicely. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

not been on here for a while, and really just seen this. Great work so far. I really do need to have a dig about in mine and move it forward.

1 minute ago, JLewis said:

not been on here for a while, and really just seen this. Great work so far. I really do need to have a dig about in mine and move it forward.

Well I never, the lesser spotted JLewis has come out of hibernation! How the devil are you?

Just now, jevvy said:

Well I never, the lesser spotted JLewis has come out of hibernation! How the devil are you?

still hiding away, but all good. You?

5 minutes ago, jevvy said:

Canny for a lad! S'about time you got started on that resto again aint it? (apologies for thread derail!)

it is indeed :)

I'll pop up a current picture on the thread.

• 2 months later...

I'm back on to my restoration, more crusty bits to replace, my new assistant is a dalmatian puppy who is slowing work down even more.

Some photos of the nearside floor, making these bits myself as I know there will still be lots of expense to come.Oscar.thumb.JPG.baec4ffc5ad3decdd738fbae7029ef60.JPG1048156992_Welding-nearsidefloorrepair1.thumb.JPG.5a4ab0cdec8b1dfb968c8f1aef712677.JPG457231331_Welding-nearsidefloorrepair4.thumb.JPG.635afdcc87b59168a92f8b7097e214b4.JPG396282946_Welding-nearsidefloorrepair6.thumb.JPG.ed2c8ba6d4f17fa5a569cf495ac50892.JPG

Good to see you back at it!

I bought the floor panel for that bit, £180 for the outside 6” all the way from front to back. Worth it in my case because it all needed replaced. It was a Dansk panel but it was a good fit and made it an easy job (still need to finish the rear half).

Keep up the good work and more pics!

15149B30-AD4E-41F3-95D4-F5356BCCF7D9.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a different/better way to fit the sill covers? I was doing a trial fit with mine and was wondering if I should weld some bolts on to the car to fix the bottom lugs. I'm quite happy about screwing the top on but is there an alternative for fixing the bottom? Any suggestions.

40 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Have you got the top hats welded to the sills to screw the bolts into?

No, there was nothing there at all when I stripped it.

11 minutes ago, Ian Comerford said:

I used rivnuts on mine and they worked well, the original mounts had pretty much rusted away

Will have a look at rivnuts, thanks for the suggestion.

• 2 months later...

Had a nice run down to Mike Bainbridge's this morning, he stripped my gearbox while I was there. Very interesting, he quickly found that it had been rebuilt before but not very well !! Lots of loose nuts and hammer marks where there shouldn't be. A worthwhile trip so just waiting for the list of parts needed now.

I also had the painter down last week to give my car the once over, he will hopefully get it in for painting next month. Two years since I bought the car so this feels like real progress.