3.2 Carrera to R/ST Hotrod Thing

Hello,

I know backdating isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I've always liked the original design, so decided 2.5 years ago to backdate my 3.2. What I thought was a perfectly solid car turned out to be a bit of a rust-monster, so the backdate became rather more serious - replacing all the major panels. I also got a bit carried away...even down to backdating the dash, pop-out windows, 1968 front quarterlights, swan-neck mirror, etc. 

Hopefully, I'll be getting the car back in the next few days, so thought I'd share the love over here on ImpactBumpers.  Rather than repeat the whole sorry tale on here, I'll just post a link to the thread on ddk. For those who like horror stories of the crumbly orange-brown variety, there's lots to see. Also a cautionary tale for anyone buying an inspected car that has been deemed "sound" and "solid". It's impossible to spot a well-disguised up rusty car. There were also extensive receipts from...er...reputable garages for bodywork that had been severely bodged. Enjoy...

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51096

PS - I ended up taking loads of parts off the car as part of the backdate, and also to lighten it up. I haven't advertised all of them, so PM me if you need anything that looks like it's been taken off.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interior has also been backdated - early dash top and front. Not sure what to do about switchgear though...maybe I'm being a bit too anal about it.

Gear shift is a Rennshifter. 

Interior door handles are from Marshall amplifiers. 

Seats are Cobras recovered in Pepita houndstooth. 

Steering wheel is an 80s Momo 340mm - horn push is wheel centre-cap

Carpet is salt'n'pepper.

IMG_1018.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

Just need to get the damn thing running now. Engine was out for most of the resto, and now it's all back together it keeps cutting out. Not sure if its electric spark witchcraft of smelly fire water problem.

For lovers of schadenfreude, the whole sorry resto tale is here...

http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51096

Thanks !  Nick Moss did all the work though. I just annoyed him constantly by changing my mind about colours, dashboards, seats, sunroof deletions, etc.

I've just had to put together a complete list of "modifications from standard" for the insurance. Quite a long list:

* Carbon fibre bonnet - pre-74 backdate style
* Carbon Fibre decklid
* front slam-panel backdated to pre-74
* Front wings replaced with pre-74 wings
* Handbrake replaced with pre-74 item including hand-throttle
* Gear changer replaced with a RennShifter model
* Seats replaced with 70s-style bucket seats from Cobra, retrimmed in houndstooth
* Steering wheel replaced with Momo 380mm item.
* Rear heater blower removed
* Rear wiper assembly removed
* Front bumpers replaced with pre-73 style fibreglass bumper
* Rear bumper replaced with RS-style fibreglass bumper
* Sill covers removed
* Pre-68-style swan-neck interior mirror fitted
* pre-75 style dash fitted
* pre-73-style dash fascia fitted
* Rear seats re-trimmed in basketweave vinyl
* Interior re-trimmed with light-weight panels
* ECU replaced with CANEM programmable ECU
* Distributor removed and replaced with coil pack electronic ignition
* Clock removed and replaced with eyeball vent (from a mini)
* Washer bottle replaced with lightweight aftermarket model
* Differential replaced with Quaiffe Limited-Slip differential
* Colour change to light-ivory
* 16" wheels (16x7 and 16x9) replaced with 15x6 and 15x8 Fuchs in RSR anodised finish
* Exhaust is aftermarket Dansk model
* PORSCHE decals on door sides
* Pre-73 style porsche badges on deck-lid
* RSR bonnet sticker replaces metal Porsche badge
* Rubber tie-downs securing bonnet and decklid in conjunction with latches (no idea why Nick fitted the tie-downs...it's got catches too)
* Door window frames replaced with '68 frames
* Rear qtr window frames replaced with pre-75 opening windows
* Wing mirrors replaced with 70s models
* All remaining aluminium trim replaced with bright-anodised alu trim
* Door handles chromed
* Door lock mechanisms have servos attached for central locking, but alarm/immobiliser has been removed so these are not currently connected
* Original rear spoiler removed (obviously)
* Front sidelights and indicators replaced with pre-74 models
* Sunroof panel cut out and replaced with solid roof panel - i.e. this is no longer a sunroof car.

Edited by MonkeyChap

Looks fantastic!

Where did you source the Carbon Fibre bonnet and hoods from?  I am still not happy with the fitment of my front bonnet so will be looking at replacing again at some point in the future.  Would love a carbon one :)

Awesome backdate, that's a stonking good looking car.:bowdown:

As for the engine, h about a rebuild to 3.5, twin spark or ITB's etc etc...........:ninja:

3 minutes ago, MonkeyChap said:

I'm skint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also sell a kidney or two.

Perhaps something for the future then your lightweight car with a serious engine would be pretty quick!

Quick update. Nick Fulljames reckons the engine problems are most likely gummed-up injectors as the car hasn't been started in 2.5 years. Still not sure that's the problem, but worth getting them cleaned up to at least tick it off. Apparently modern 95RON fuel tends to turn to gel if left for long periods. Worth bearing in mind if anyone's currently got their engine in storage. 

9 hours ago, MonkeyChap said:

Apparently modern 95RON fuel tends to turn to gel if left for long periods. Worth bearing in mind if anyone's currently got their engine in storage. 

A reason for people to drive their cars then!

Would an Italian tune up not help?

Edited by Dr Rock