3.2 Carrera to R/ST Hotrod Thing

Mine has a similar ride height to the green car - MRX 1L.

With the euro front it has ended up with 140mm clearance between the road and the front spoiler and this is just too low. With all the speed bumps and traffic tables they seem to putting in towns and villages I have to take a five mile detour to go anywhere.

If you look at most 'low' IB's they have damage on the tanks, front tow eye and underguard. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I jacked mine up a bit a few years ago and it's much better over the large speed bumps and tables near us and it's fine over them. 

Roughly two fingers between wheel and wheel arch at the front and one at the back. 

For what it's worth - I'm running 55 (f) and 50 (r) profile tyres. 

I still think you can make yours lower ?chap.

IMG_7479.thumb.JPG.fde477a9d2edd47a405654191124ea1f.JPG

IMG_9609.thumb.JPG.00868f7642f7f0e65a2bf1e7a4f1b6dc.JPG

Have a look at this old post were I have taken front road clearance measurements at various points on my two cars.

Same clearance as Leicestershire on my SC with standard rubber lip and same clearance as RB on my 3.2 with custom FG front bumper.

The under cross member reference point would work OK with backdated bodywork.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello MonkeyChap,

I want to say to you that I have reading all of the thread on the other forum you detail and this. I appreciate that you share with us these.

Before I join this forum I did not see the backdate concept and very sceptical about this concept. When I see this picture and others above I depart this sceptical feeling. 

Very good superb result with an involving read and very good photos provided to the forums by you.

I enjoyed, thank you. Perhaps even I have some inspiration for customisation of my car!

Léo

Thanks Léo

It was 50:50 whether to backdate the car. I only bit the bullet in the end when it became apparent how rusty it was, so every panel needed to go (pretty much). At that point, a colour change and backdate is the same cost as an in-period resto. It's a really personal thing, but I think the cars were meant to look this way, and although Porsche did a way better job of fitting impact bumpers than other manufacturers at the time, it was never quite the same as the original shape. Others disagree, and really love the concertina bumpers though.

Here's another shot...

parked.jpg

Here's how it looked when I bought it. That shiny paint is covering a million sins, and none were picked up in the pre-purchase inspection apart from a couple of bubbles on the rear quarters.

carrera.jpg

Wowh, this transformation is incredible in my eyes.  The workings look very professional, both the picture look to me an original car in themselves!

I am 50:50 too, because I want to have one of each vehicle like these!

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, MonkeyChap said:

Got them from an ebay seller in Germany. RHD ones too !  No idea what's going to happen at MOT time though ;)

Ahh, I think I already have a pair. Bosch glass lenses, not just covers that clip on?

MOT will be fine. You can have white or yellow headlights. Says so in the lighting regulations.

• 1 year later...
On 4/12/2017 at 11:07 AM, MonkeyChap said:

nov-visit-1.JPG

On 7/3/2017 at 1:34 PM, MonkeyChap said:

no-parking.jpg

On 7/3/2017 at 2:07 PM, MonkeyChap said:

parked.jpg

Got to say, incredible build. One of the nicest backdates I have seen and, as I've repeatedly veered from backdate to IB & back in terms of the look I want, this car makes quite a convincing case to backdate. Stunning, well done sir.

P.S. While the higher ride height may look off to some, I think it looks period correct and must be very comfy to drive. I'd vote to keep it, if you lower do so minimally imo. 

4 hours ago, MonkeyChap said:

Just as it came really. There are a lot of speed bumps near me and the combination of 15" wheels and stock suspension height works pretty well ! I can attack them like I'm driving a 4x4. 

This is probably genius. In our hurry to improve everything we sometimes forget Porsche knows a thing or two about setup as well. I live in an area with bad roads myself so I’ll consider your tactic. 

Also, love the ivory color. Just very well executed build all around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 7:55 PM, MonkeyChap said:

Thanks !  Here's a recent pic from the PCGB London outlaws do with Neal's 3.2 and James's 914 in the background...

pcgb1-small.jpg

That is a nice picture of an exceptionally nice backdate!