Rear disc removal - need to access shoes

Rocketcar

I need to take a rear disc off to get access to the shoes, something is amiss as I can't get the adjustment. This of course means removing the calliper.

Do you have to disconnect the brake line to do this as there is a solid hose up to the calliper from the arm or can it be carefully manoeuvred with it still attached?

Hit a wall already.

How do you get to the lower 19mm calliper bolt as a socket won't fit. Do you use a 19mm ring spanner or offset ring spanner?

Prefer plenty of leverage on calliper bolts..

Typically lost my 19mm ring spanner so nothing is going to happen tonight. 

Agree, be careful. Next time I'm going to replace the hard line with a flexi. Already done it on the front and life is easier....... Porsche used as much hard line as possible to reduce pedal sponginess, but race cars have flexi lines throughout, so why not? Perhaps braided flexi hoses were not available in 1980 something.

Chris.

A 19mm socket will fit, just needs to be a slim one, 19mm ring should work too!

If in doubt us a 6 point socket/wrench.  You only need the common sizes really, 10, 13, 17, 19mm.

Oddly a Volvo we had a couple of years ago had all even number sizes, which was a pain in the ass.  I have less even number tools.

4 hours ago, Nige said:

The ladies love it ;)

:lol:

Thanks for all the help everyone! Really appreciated  :thankyousign:

Managed to get the shoes no problem without disconnecting the solid brake line.

Car had failed the MOT on the handbrake. Minor issue thankfully, the little plate that sits between the shoes towards the front of the car was not located properly. 

Super powerful handbrake now so back for a retest in the morning. 

when you adjust the hand brake.First you adjust the cable with those 2 17mm nuts.To the point it is grabbing just a little bit.Then you do the  adjustment trough the brake rotor hole.Make sure it is not catching to mush otherwise you will burn the shoes.It has to have on hand brake handle 3-4 clicks..no more 

Ivan.

Ok thanks Ivan. 

I actually already did it in a different order already.

Slacked off the 17mm nuts and then wound up the shoe adjustors.

Balanced the 2 brake cables looking through the 2 holes by the handbrake and locked up the 17mm.

Finally tightened and loosened the shoe adjustors several times to get a feel of how much it slacked off and how it affected the handbrake handle.  Ended up backing off around 4 clicks.

On the handbrake handle I now have 4 clicks to achieve a good hold.

Is this wrong?

Passed the MOT :-)

hi those clicks are ok..the reason you do the cable first is so you do not cook the brake shoes..after the cables have almost no play then you do the inside shoes adjustment..but but if you have the wheel spinning it sounds ok.$ clicks perfect...usually when i see 911 it has a "dentist adjustment"-my nick name for handbrake handle all the way up so you can knock your teeth out while pulling on it...;)..i can tell the mechanics did never pay attention to this car or then do not know how to ...

Ivan

oh yaa congrats on passing the mot

Edited by proporsche