New Tyres Time

ROBINWILD

It's time for me to fit a new set of tyres on the 3.2. I know it's a contentious subject, but you can't do something as important as this without getting a broad base of opinions and experiences. I'm looking for a road tyre, strictly no track use. I would gravitate towards Conti Sport Contact 5's, but a trawl of the internet suggests they are not available in the sizes required. I see that a number of you chaps on here are singing the praises of Bridgestone S 02's, but does anyone have any other suggestions ?

Seriously though, I have Yokohama  C drive and never wanted for grip. I know people on here poo poo them but I think they are good and I don't drive conservatively.

Always had Toyo Proxies T1Rs.  Rears have last ages/years fronts tend to wear about x2 quicker.  Good price, grip and easy to find.  Done a few light track days and they've always been fine during and after.

Edited by Nige

38 minutes ago, Richot1989 said:

SO 2s on mine and they are excellent and look good.

But, I can't compare them with other makes/styles as these are the only set I have tried.

+1

Has anyone tried the Pirelli P zero? In going to be in the market for some new tyres too and quite like the look of these, and they're N rated (if you buy into that jazz) 

I've just bought SO2s all round for my SC. I ran these 10 years ago on a previous SC that I did a lot of trackdays with and they were fantastic in all conditions. I had also used Toyo's and they were good on track but didn't last anywhere near as long overall.

I don't plan to do any track driving with my latest SC so I won't be able to report on how the new SO2s compare with the old ones (some readers may not know that Bridgestone stopped making them for a good few years). Johnny at Unit 11 Porsche who did my engine and gearbox rebuild and has a few customers who race or do trackdays tells me the new ones are not as good as they used to be.  

It would be interesting to hear from someone on here who has pressed the new SO2s hard on track or run them on their car for a good while. 

Al.

I've got Toyo Proxes T1R's fitted also.

Seem to be very good! Very little road noise, that I can detect and as Nige says, readily available and good price.

Yokohama are bringing some "new" redeveloped tyres out this year, (which were fitted originally in the eighties apparently)in the U.K., with the official "N" rating on.

Might be worth looking into them?

Edited by Rustybum
Spelling

Interesting thread. I currently run Bridgestone S-02s on my 3.2CS and have been really happy with them - good fast road tyre. However, I may be wrong, but I believe that Bridgestone has stopped making them in our sizes.......... :( 

So be careful if you are offered S-02s - check their manufacturing date on the sidewall!

14 minutes ago, Snufkin said:

I believe that Bridgestone has stopped making them in our sizes.......... :( 

Been saying that for years....:rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Been saying that for years....:rolleyes:

Aye, I think you can still find them.

Got the newer version on the 964 (SO2 A) and although the tread pattern is much less sexy I must admit they have performed very well indeed!

I See S02s still available but less vendor choice now than this time last year, when they were a fair amount cheaper too.

Anyone else notice prices on the up?  I was weighing up a set of Conti's at 375 late last year, over 450 now.

I use the Pirellis. Seem fine to me - replaced old Kumhos that had loads of tread but had gone hard with age.

2      205 55 16ZPIRERL:P0DIR(N3):6534[2]  Pirelli Tyres / Car /   Pirelli PZero Direzionale Pirelli P Zero -  205/55 R16 Z            

(N3) TL Fuel Eff.: E  Wet Grip: A  NoiseClass: 2  Noise:  71dB                                                                

2      225 50 16YPIRER92L:P0ASM(N3):4136[2]  Pirelli Tyres / Car /  Pirelli PZero Asimmetrico Pirelli P Zero -  225/50 R16 92Y          

(N3) TL Fuel Eff.: E  Wet Grip: B  NoiseClass: 2  Noise:  72dB