Targa roof rebuild

Busybee

1 hour ago, semprini27 said:

Mine is in with Whisperer 911 in Maidenhead at the moment. Will post results when I get it back....

Please do, I'd be interested in the quality of work they do as they aren't a million miles from me.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, semprini27 said:

Mine is in with Whisperer 911 in Maidenhead at the moment. Will post results when I get it back....

May I ask what you are having them do, is it a complete targa top rebuild or somewhat less?

Do they use a jig for the set-up or do they keep your car for fitting the top? 

I am on the edge about sending mine abroad to have it rebuilt, but if this is comparable I would rather use a UK based company any day.

Was speaking to Chris Denning down in Cardiff last week and mentioned my Targa Roof. He tells me there is a guy in Bristol that's a wizz with these as well as all trimming generally and a fraction of the price of southbound trimmers. Sounds good to me. Hopefully having mine done late November. Will keep you all posted. 

On 31/10/2017 at 3:00 PM, lindol said:

May I ask what you are having them do, is it a complete targa top rebuild or somewhat less?

Do they use a jig for the set-up or do they keep your car for fitting the top? 

I am on the edge about sending mine abroad to have it rebuilt, but if this is comparable I would rather use a UK based company any day.

They were tasked with "sorting it"! My frame was bent so they stripped it back and heated and straightened, fitted new hessian webbing and stretched my existing vinyl. They kept the car to fit, adjusting quarter lights etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Just snapped a photo of the leading edge of my targa roof. Is it as bad as I think it is? Epwas out over the weekend with the roof on and the noise is horrendous over 60mph. Is there anywhere else where there could be an air leak? Vent? Air control box up front? 

IMG_1056.JPG

3 hours ago, Type911 said:

Wow! Thats bad, do a search on here for what the front lip should, or needs to look like

I've looked but can't find photos. Must be my awesome search skills ?. 

Never had a targa before. It feels like the front edge of the vinyl could just be pulled down and stretched then reglued. I'm guessing the front edge should point down right? 

32 minutes ago, Busybee said:

I've looked but can't find photos. Must be my awesome search skills ?. 

Never had a targa before. It feels like the front edge of the vinyl could just be pulled down and stretched then reglued. I'm guessing the front edge should point down right? 

Yes, front edge should be angled down.  It's difficult to tell from your picture but possibly the whole leading edge of the frame possibly sitting bit high as well, not sure, but yes you can probably do some work to improve how the vinyl lays.

• 2 months later...
On 18/11/2017 at 9:40 AM, Targatogo said:

Puts mine to shame really - I also get the whistle over 60......

I'm getting a lot of wind noise past 60mph, and these pics also put mine to shame...mine was redone by a previous owner however its standing proud in places and it has to be the reason...not had too many targa off moments yet this winter but there's probably more noise with the targa on then off :)...think I'll need to get it redone even though it was done in the past few years and the targa top is in great condition (apart from the wind noise).

• 2 years later...
On 31/10/2017 at 15:07, Busybee said:

Was speaking to Chris Denning down in Cardiff last week and mentioned my Targa Roof. He tells me there is a guy in Bristol that's a wizz with these as well as all trimming generally and a fraction of the price of southbound trimmers. Sounds good to me. Hopefully having mine done late November. Will keep you all posted. 

hi Busy,

Did you ever get your car to the Bristolian Wizzard?  I'm nearby and mine could use a bunch of love.  Anything good to report?

1 hour ago, Pollenstein said:

hi Busy,

Did you ever get your car to the Bristolian Wizzard?  I'm nearby and mine could use a bunch of love.  Anything good to report?

Hi. Nope. Had a local garage do a little work on it. It’s much better but not perfect unfortunately. 

Didn't, Ed the working model on Wheeler Dealers do one when they restored a Targa. Seem to remember a Targa. Ed made it look easy and got a good result. Baz

I looked into recovering my Targa top some years back and did a fair amount of digging.

Quality of Southbound's work is first class, but lead times and cost were well out of my range...

There was a useful video online showing a frame refurb and recover, think the company is in Belgium.

When we lived in the Southeast, it was viable to visit, to get a fitting, but now its too far.

If I can find the video , will post the link.

AT