Goodwood October 13th

MarkJ

Have booked a trackday at Goodwood on the 13th of October if any other IB'ers fancy joining me. Been wanting to do this classic track with it's iconic retro buildings for a couple of years now. 105db limit too and it's a Friday :ani_clapping:

booked it through Goodwoods own site.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Mondrian said:

I would like to do this in my 964, don't think my Locktons insurance covers this how can I get covered? Are you doing 1/2 day Mark?

don't bother with a half day , you get very little track time as it is , if there's an off when your out you miss that session and have to queue again ..

25 cars , 5 on track 20 queued , 15ish min sessions ...

Great track though

Just booked a full day session, probably not the smartest choice for a track newbie given that its a fast circuit with no run-offs but been meaning to do a track day for a couple of years and none of the previous IB dates worked for me so just happy to finally get a chance to give it a try. Now all i need to figure out is how to squeeze a helmet between my head and the roof!

On 10/7/2017 at 1:38 PM, Mondrian said:

I would like to do this in my 964, don't think my Locktons insurance covers this how can I get covered? Are you doing 1/2 day Mark?

Give Lockton a call, talk them through what the day is, who is organising it and they may say yes, albeit the terms and conditions are altered from your road cover.

Enjoy

KJ

6 hours ago, SP72 said:

Nader, I've got visions of a Jetsons type glass bubble for you to stick your head into 

Sounds like an economical solution as it negates the need for a roll bar.

5 hours ago, Fuchs915 said:

Give Lockton a call, talk them through what the day is, who is organising it and they may say yes, albeit the terms and conditions are altered from your road cover.

Enjoy

KJ

I did have a brief chat about it when I renewed my insurance last week so will definitely give them a go but not expecting a favourable response.

Do Goodwood allow spectators? I may take a drive down there if the weather is good. I won't bother if I'm not allowed in (and I'm WAY too tight to pay £450 for a track day!).

Chris.

Alright I rounded it up a bit, but not much by the time you add fuel and a bit of brake pads and rubber....... I'm still to tight! I will try to make it down to spectate though, my SC targa could do with a day out before being hibernated.

Chris.

I had to pay a bit more as they had sold out of the 15 full day tickets so had to buy separate morning & afternoon tickets which totals £360.

Apparently 105db days get filled with older cars and super cars.

Finally got to pop my track cherry. Unfortunately I had to call it quits after a few sessions due to a hot starting issue which only popped up last night. Somehow the original immobilizer seemed to disable starting when car is hot, not fun in pit lane when waiting for green light and other cars lined up behind you!

Lots of nice cars on track including the usual Lambo's, Ferraris, 991 GT3 & 997 turbo, Astons as well as  others. Surprise car of the day for me was the Alfa Giulia QV, apparently they are faster than M3 by some margin.

Bar the immobilizer issue my 964 ran great when on track and was much more capable than I. As expected I was a million miles off the pace even though I did manage to overtake one car but I don't think Audi TT counts! To drive the point home my instructor took me for a few laps in a M4, I did not think it's even possible to go that fast on a double apex corner in any car!

Was good to see Steve & Les and I suspect I crossed paths with Chris on my way home around 2ish?

I am definitely smitten so need to invest in some bucket seats for next year and figure out a way to set them a bit lower for extra headroom, probably need some tips too as my standing sound check at 5000 revs was 105 - ah and rip out that bloody immobilizer.

Overall very happy with Goodwood for my first track day, everyone was very friendly and helpful.

IMG_7330.JPG

Edited by Mondrian
Spelling

Good to see you and Les yesterday, always nice to have familiar faces and like minded souls on a track day. Felt sorry for you with your electrical gremlins as the car looked and sounded great.

i had a fab time for my first event at Goodwood, the circuit really suits our Ib's with its fast flowing corners and iconic trackside buildings, loved it. :cool: I think the flow of track and shape of corners is far better suited to older cars like ours, can imagine it's pretty easy in a modern supercar with all the fancy gubbins yet lots of them there.

got plenty of track time to the extent that I was totally knackered by 3pm! Had some great runs and enjoyed chasing or being chased by faster machinery on several occasions but the car held its head high :)

i found the track really physically demanding as your hanging on at high cornering speeds in the long corners then hitting top revs on the straights before hard braking zones. Had a good mixture of conditions too with it wet and greasy in the morning and a track covered in wet leaves, making for some exuberant cornering :D but it dried quickly and then the sheer speed of the track became apparent. I came back soaked in sweat after each run.  The car was great, pulling strong upto 7k and nice slick gearshifts with my rebuilt 915. I was hitting 130 up the levant straight :o and upto 90 through the double apex Madgewick corner, hanging on for dear life 

Enjoyed an epic chase with a TVR Tuscan for several laps and also bagged an f458 and Aston vantage scalp in the damp morning :lol: 

hopefully got a couple of vids to upload if the GoPro behaved but I've lost my card reader so will be a delay.

my only gripe of the day is that because it's sessioned you feel you have to continually put your car in the pit queue for constant runs. If you park up for a coffee or rest you miss another 8 car slot and face a half hour wait, but must say I got more than enough track time :) 

a great day's fun and a fine way to spend a Friday ...beats working ^_^ 

First video, a wet and wild ride in the morning with plenty of fallen wet leaves on the track which is why I'm staying away from the circuit edges! Doubt the vid conveys how much the car was moving about in the corners but you can see my hands working or hear me get out of the throttle 

Second vid, a great chase with a TVR Tuscan, probably about the quickest i've ever seen a TVR driven on track. I thought he'd be a show pony but he was properly on it, good lad. His extra horses told on the straights though

and lastly a F458 scalp :) chased down and passed eheh

One thing I wish I had tried was dropping into 3rd for the first double apex 'Madgewick', but your approaching that at about 110-120 and I didn't fancy getting a squirmy moment under braking & downshifting with the wet grass waiting on that outside edge and no run-off!  But it would definitely have given more oomph up and out the corner as my revs drop a bit low in 4th.

Enjoy :morning:

one more for Mondrian :)