General IB MOT Questions

ALEX P

There's some pretty clued up folks amongst you when it comes to MOT's so thought I'd start a general questions thread in case like myself anyone has got any questions about getting your all important annual pass.

As an example - I never knew until recently that a split CV boot was only an advisory. Here's a few (probably silly ones) to start off:

1. Do you actually need wing mirrors or can you pass without any?

2. Does the wiper have to park in a horizontal position or does it matter? Also does it have to actually park or is it ok to self park with good stalk timing skills!

3. Do you need external door handles?

Digging out copy of ancient copy Haynes "How to pass the MOT"  reveals;

1) Yes - how else can you see what you`ve just blasted past

2) Er no, must work only,especially Scotland

3) Yes, all cars except those painted orange with 01 on roof.

1 - My Lotus Elan Plus 2 passed 3 consecutive MOTs without wing mirrors.

2 - Don't know for sure, but think they need to park correctly (unless pre-dating self park)

3 - Some Morgans were supplied with external door handles as optional extras

Also, and please excuse me if I'm way off as I've not got as deep as my wiper motor yet, but on previous (non-Porsche) toys, the wiper park position detect / switch unit simply clips into the side of the wiper motor body.  Most times a simple clean is all that's needed, although the switches are relatively cheap to replace (excluding Porsche tax).

Peter

Thanks chaps. So basically:

1. Maybe

2. Perhaps

3. Dunno

:P

They are all jobs that will get done, mainly because they will all drive you mad not having them done but legally, I've got no idea. Maybe I'll give my MOT chap a call.

The wipers do some very strange things parking in different places depending on whether the intermittent switch is on or off and making a funny buzzing noise when parking so maybe cleaning up the contacts is the best place to start.

16 hours ago, ALEX P said:

1. Do you actually need wing mirrors or can you pass without any?

2. Also does it have to actually park or is it ok to self park with good stalk timing skills!

3. Do you need external door handles?

MOT Test of Mirrors

Applies to obligatory mirrors and "Indirect vision devices" such as cameras – and in this case the method of inspection and reason for failure will apply to both the camera and the screen. Not all mirrors or cameras etc. on all vehicles are subject to Test, depending on the age of the vehicle.

Those mirrors which must be checked must be

• Secure
  • Visible from the driver's seat
  • Not distorted or damaged so as to seriously impair the driver's view to the rear
Obligatory Mirror / Device Fitment Requirements
Vehicle Type Date of First Use Requirements
Passenger vehicles with less than 8 passenger seats First used before 1/8/78 At least one mirror/device in any of the above positions.
Any passenger vehicle(excluding buses and minibuses) First used on or after 1/8/78 Two mirrors/devices, one of which must be in position  'a'.
Passenger vehicles with 8 or morepassenger seats (excluding buses and minibuses)

Any age

Goods vehicles
Buses and minibuses First used before 1/8/83 An exterior mirror/device fitted on both the offside and the nearside ('a' and 'b').
First used on or after 1/8/83

Obligatory mirror options are:

a. an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the driver's seat), or
b. an exterior mirror fitted to the nearside (left hand side when seated in the driver's seat), or
c. an interior mirror.
All goods vehicles must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'.
Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options.

Reasons For Rejection
An obligatory mirror:
a. is missing or insecure
b. is so damaged or deteriorated that the view to the rear is seriously impaired
c. does not provide a view to the rear of the vehicle
d. is not clearly visible from the driver's seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the driver's seat.

Additional mirrors
Any mirrors additional to the obligatory mirrors are not subject to this inspection.

2. No, I would say: VW Beetles don't have self parking wipers.....

8.2 Wipers and Washers

Information
This inspection applies to all vehicles, except those with an opening windscreen, or with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view.
Method of Inspection
1. Operate the washers and the wipers and note the swept area of the windscreen.

2. Examine the condition, security and effectiveness of the wiper blades and their contact with the windscreen.

3. Check the function of the windscreen washers
Reason for Rejection
a. A wiper or washer control missing or inaccessible to the driver
b. a wiper does not continue to operate automatically when switched on
c. a wiper installed for the use of the driver does not operate over an area of the windscreen large enough to give the driver an adequate view of the road through the windscreen to the left and right sides of the vehicle, as well as to the front.

2. A wiper blade insecure, missing, or in such a condition that it does not clear the windscreen effectively to give the driver an adequate view of the road through the windscreen to the left and right sides of the vehicle, as well as to the front.

3. The windscreen washers do not provide enough liquid to clear the windscreen in conjunction with the wipers.

3. How do solenoid door cars go on @ MOT time?

21 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options.

Interesting, I thought you needed rear view and at least 1 wing mirror but it seems for pre 78 you can just have the rear view mirror.

What Phil says.  Taking mine in this week in it's half complete state for an MOT, spoke to the guy last week regarding a few issues I though may arise.  All ironed out in the meantime and will hopefully pass.

As Nige says, speak to the tester.My son is a qualified tester and works on classic cars. there are significant differences in requirements for older cars including emissions so take your car to a station who has experience of classic cars rather than the kiwik fit type of outfit who think every car is only 3 years old .

Edited by GrahamTompkins
Typo

In defense of Kwik Fit (no, I don't own shares!) I have been taking my fleet plus a few friends' cars to Kwik Fit for years for their £30 MOTs and aside from the minor-but-amicably-resolved aggro with the split driveshaft boot on the 911 they have been fair and spot-on every time and not tried it on with teeth sucking brake and tyre replacement guilt trips.  Bring them an interesting car and they love it - makes a change from the usual econo-diseasel.

Fair comment, I used the Kwik Fit as an analogogy possibly unfairly as per in your experience, just saying best to use someone with experience of classics rather than "eco diesels ", simply because they already understand the VOSA requirements applicable to older vehicles, without the need for having to cross refer.

Graham...

Good job Frazer. That was exactly what I was looking for :ani_clapping: No mention of door handles though :P

Thanks for the advice chaps - I did say that if the information wasn't out there/here then I'd just give them a call but before I take up their time I thought I'd ask here.

I've got various MOT options from Quick-Fit less than 1/2 mile away to my old school place where you have to wait in line and sit in the car yourself and shake the steering etc. Much prefer that place ;)

21 hours ago, ALEX P said:

The wipers

3. D do some very strange things parking in different places depending on whether the intermittent switch is on or off and making a funny buzzing noise when parking so maybe cleaning up the contacts is the best place to start.

Did the trick for me. Also needed to gently bend a couple of contacts. When you have it apart it will all make sense ;)

• 1 month later...

Back to wipers again.......

Mine are doing something a bit strange - When I crank the car to start it the wipers go through their was/wipe routine so 3 x sweeps and park. Since I cleaned the contacts everything work fine but each time I start the car I get exactly the same thing.

I disconnected the relay and this cured the problem but the wipers wouldn't park so does this simply mean the relay is kaput or something else?

Any ideas sparky wizards?

4 hours ago, Nige said:

Never under estimate how important a check wipe is. 

I said 3 wipes. Presumably one up, one down & one to polish?

I guess the only way to find out is to swap the relay and see if it still does it or not.

Anyone got their car in bits or carry a spare?

Does anyone know if a functioning intermittent wiper is an mot requirement?

Mine currently doesn’t work, just operates as constant wiper. It’s on my list of things to sort.... 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.