Impact Bumpers

This weekend I have been driving Boxsters and this morning I have put a deposit on a GT Silver low mileage car.

Stating the obvious but very different to the hot rod IB.  210bhp/ton vs 265bhp/ton - but they are a sweet, joyful and balanced drive.  Couldn't be happier and really looking forward to getting under the skin of this one.

I have never owned a convertible before, but I have had my eyes opened to this "other" dimension of driving.  I am planning on doing a lot of miles in this car.

I'm sure nobody will hold this against you. :)

Ha brilliant, these have started to be on my radar too. 

Even Tankman has turned to the dark side and picked one up!

They are the bargain in the Porsche back catalogue IMHO.  3.2 has little potential for borkage compared to 3.4/3.6/3.8.  I am having the dealer add a low temp thermostat and heavier weight Nanotech oil into the mix so it should (touch wood) be super reliable.

The 997/987 interior is a lovely everyday place to be compared anything prior and the drive is still very analogue.  I want more everyday Porsche fun in my life.

Or possibly, I am just getting old and folically challenged.

Great choice.

I'm loving my 997. This era of Porsche's are fantastic daily drivers. Just enough modern conveniences but still with a bit of sole.

Enjoy!

Looks good RB. And it's on lobsters.

Probably a better/more rounded stable than the 2 red monsters battling against each other for your attention.

8 hours ago, Stuarts said:

Great choice.

I'm loving my 997. This era of Porsche's are fantastic daily drivers. Just enough modern conveniences but still with a bit of sole.

Enjoy!

11 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

Looks good RB. And it's on lobsters.

Probably a better/more rounded stable than the 2 red monsters battling against each other for your attention.

Lobsters with a bit of Sole.  Mmm, fishy.

11 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

.........I am having the dealer add a low temp thermostat and heavier weight Nanotech oil into the mix so it should (touch wood) be super reliable.

The 997/987 interior is a lovely everyday place to be compared anything prior and the drive is still very analogue.  I want more everyday Porsche fun in my life.

Or possibly, I am just getting old and folically challenged.

Low temp stat and Nanotech 10w-50 in mine RB. 

Use the Cab more than any previous Pork. Most weekends, mostly with the top down until the rain starts coming in. Costco trip last Saturday - you can fit a surprising level of purchases in one with the seats folded down, which they are pretty much most of the time.

bGFuJG.jpg

VT

Its getting a low temp stat and coolant flush now and I will do Nanotech and a small deep sump kit once home.  Decided to get the dealer to replace exhaust bolts and I can change oil myself.  See how long I resist coilovers etc...

Edited by Richard Bernau

Brilliant little cars, great fun and practical if required to be. Me and the misses did the South of France in an early 987 3.2. It didn’t miss a beat, handled 40 degrees heat and carried all the luggage with ease.

Enjoy and forget any comments from the less informed folks

Well, so far, there seems to be consensus from some pretty well informed folks that this is a smart purchase and offers a will provide a lot of smiles per mile.

Stop this thread immediately you are all making me want to get another one!

Wait until I have it and have proper drive time :)

In the interest of balance - one negative is that they carry a bit of timber.  Power to weight for a 987S is just under 210bhp/ton, while the old hot rod was nearly 270bhp/ton.  Six gears (with better ratios than a 911 G50 5 speed BTW), mid-engine and modern suspension can't fix that.  I reckon 240bhp/ton is quite achievable, but not without some cost and effort.  Where I end up on the standard to modified spectrum is TBD.  I have some very subtle changes in mind to start with.

What's the objective here? 

Sure they carry a bit of timber, but surely the point of the Box is that it's a practical and comfortable sports car which can be enjoyed, as standard, at 3/10ths, 6/10ths and 8/10ths. You can do mega miles in them and step out at the other side refreshed. Not so shouty that you can go to a client meeting in it, without crumpling your suit. Your other half can jump in it and drive it and would be happy to go on holiday in it. They can be used everyday. 

Surely once you start to hot rod them you erode some of those qualities. And it is a cheap car which is expensive to improve.

But maybe you are allergic to standard in which case I look forward to hearing about the upgrades.

"allergic to standard".  Ouch, that resembles me.

Let me put it like this - if you were taking a Boxster on a week long trip to the Alps/Pyrenees/etc, what would you want to do to prepare it so its fit for purpose and to maximise fun?

You would start with a maintenance and reliability, then alignment including more front neg camber, maybe 18s vs 19s, decent race pads and fluid and maybe call it quits.  But a sports exhaust would be nice and bucket seats make the drive more connected and weigh less and no downsides to a LW battery, etc.  And actually KWs would improve the handling and ride height with no downside other than £.  Slippery slope.

My answer to that is I'd take my hotrod IB to the Alps. Unless the wife was coming, in which case I'd take my well-serviced and geo'd standard Boxster!

Perhaps the monster turbo isn't destined to a road trip car? 

Or perhaps you need more hot rods. No complaints there!

Either way it will be fun to hear about your experiences.

48 minutes ago, Richard Bernau said:

"allergic to standard".  Ouch, that resembles me.

Let me put it like this - if you were taking a Boxster on a week long trip to the Alps/Pyrenees/etc, what would you want to do to prepare it so its fit for purpose and to maximise fun?

You would start with a maintenance and reliability, then alignment including more front neg camber, maybe 18s vs 19s, decent race pads and fluid and maybe call it quits.  But a sports exhaust would be nice and bucket seats make the drive more connected and weigh less and no downsides to a LW battery, etc.  And actually KWs would improve the handling and ride height with no downside other than £.  Slippery slope.

loud pipes save lives and make cyclists move over sooner :D

great buy RB, I've found myself looking at open topped cars recently, I'd love a Boxster, think they are a great buy and a heap of fun for the money

2 hours ago, reddevil said:

My answer to that is I'd take my hotrod IB to the Alps. Unless the wife was coming, in which case I'd take my well-serviced and geo'd standard Boxster!

Perhaps the monster turbo isn't destined to be a road trip car? 

Or perhaps you need more hot rods. No complaints there!

Either way it will be fun to hear about your experiences.

Last thing you want in the Alps is single turbo and 475hp.  I would take it if nothing else was available, but you would spend the whole week being circumspect.

8 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

Well, so far, there seems to be consensus from some pretty well informed folks that this is a smart purchase and offers a will provide a lot of smiles per mile.

I actually think the 987 is the sweet spot of Boxsters (albeit the only generation I haven't driven) as:

Lovely sweet thing with enough power (excl 2.5) but no space inside it and

981/2
Dare I say it, it’s a little big…and whilst the new turbo is brutally efficient and very good it’s a car I was impressed by as opposed to loved.

(Had a 982 S as a loaner when my car was in being fixed and it is a phenomenally capable car and can cover speed cross-country at an alarming rate.  What was also alarming was I was reliant on its parking sensors to berth it)