Impact Bumpers
SP72

KW V3 coilovers

...soon to be fitted to an IB (not mine)

Interesting. 

It’ll be good to see what they think about it when it’s all fitted.

Russ

had this on my race car for 4 seasons and just refurbed last season with no horror stories.

Great bit of kit and very tunable easily.

produced a second a lap over billy's and is glorious on long circuits

15 minutes ago, Boydyrs said:

had this on my race car for 4 seasons and just refurbed last season with no horror stories.

I thought its a newish kit, well for torsion bar series anyway.

Had my eye on these KW kits for a while now. Although expensive, they're certainly at the top of my wish list come suspension refresh time :)

38 minutes ago, Boydyrs said:

Think you’re getting this mixed up with coilover kits.

This has only been out about a year, as Mondrian says, for retaining the torsion bars.

5 minutes ago, Rustybum said:

Think you’re getting this mixed up with coilover kits.

This has only been out about a year, as Mondrian says, for retaining the torsion bars.

Although to be fair JZM’s link shows a picture of a coilover kit but the written part is correct.

Someone on here had bought a couple of kits and was going to report on how they were when he’d fitted them, I can’t find who it was just now. 

38 minutes ago, Rustybum said:

Although to be fair JZM’s link shows a picture of a coilover kit but the written part is correct.

Someone on here had bought a couple of kits and was going to report on how they were when he’d fitted them, I can’t find who it was just now. 

Just found who it was.

F9ank, any news on the suspension kit?

:blush:

I think it's the clubsport kit that eliminates the torsion bars

Good review of this kit in Classic Porsche magazine, No.41 Dec '16 - Jan '17

Chris.

Its sounds more like an advertorial than a review though.

Edited by Mondrian
edit

25 minutes ago, Mondrian said:

Its sounds more like an advertorial than a review though.

It does, I agree.

Not really an in depth analysis of the improvement KW claim.

Ok so I got one of the first Classic kits and yes they are threaded for coil overs, thank god, and I ran them without TB in front. As I got quicker and visited various tracks we have adapted car and set up to suit. This now results in, at Knockhill, running F&R TB,  F coil overs and now helper, 90lb, coil overs in rear. so yes TB & CO. This now gives better control on bump and rebound and may sound over engineered but it working. So if I didn’t buy this kit which was expensive I couldn’t have had ability to change or bespoke it to my needs.

anyways the question was about usage, experience and value so I really enjoy them, they are reliable and have been good for me.

Thanks Boydy, what are they like on road? What was the suspension before you changed to KW and your impression of the differences?

19 minutes ago, Boydyrs said:

Ok so I got one of the first Classic kits and yes they are threaded for coil overs, thank god, and I ran them without TB in front. As I got quicker and visited various tracks we have adapted car and set up to suit. This now results in, at Knockhill, running F&R TB,  F coil overs and now helper, 90lb, coil overs in rear. so yes TB & CO. This now gives better control on bump and rebound and may sound over engineered but it working. So if I didn’t buy this kit which was expensive I couldn’t have had ability to change or bespoke it to my needs.

anyways the question was about usage, experience and value so I really enjoy them, they are reliable and have been good for me.

Ahh, that’s very interesting!

So yours are the same kit but more track focused?

I was wondering if it was worth the investment for, primarily, road use.

Would you say road use is better with them than without?

Thanks

Best regards

Russ

Ive  cut out the torque tube on my 930 82, and bought Ohlins TTX at the rear and ohlins inserts at the front 

Hi Axel

A bit confused -  you mean torsion bar tube as opposed to torque tube?

Yes, no doubt that is what Axel means.

The issue most often cited with full coilovers is that the G-series cars were never designed for coilovers so you are placing loads in places that were not designed for them.  Retaining TBs and augmenting with helpers seems like a good idea if you buy into that conventional wisdom.  If you are not changing spring rates or looking for a higher spring rate than is possible with TBs, then the coilover spring part of coilovers has no advantage over TBs - it's just a spring.

Being fully adjustable for bump and rebound you can make adjustments as you go to get perfect setting.

I use a book and mark up changes with date weather and location....as is the way when racing.

On one hand correctly valved Billys are perfect and you cant touch them but on another these can be fiddled with all day long.

My only concern is that if you buy these there are no option to go full coil over later.

I would find out price of these form KW and the threaded/competition options then decide but i am very happy with them

I am building a '88 3.2 g50 backdate and ill be putting on my old race RSR valved Billy set up for the road with std torsion bars.

regards

Richard, i agree but at K/Hill I was suffering from excess squat, running 26mm TB, so thought I would try putting std SC Fronts TB in and fitting rear 90lb helpers on the KW shocks to test. did this to balance out as only trying to prevent squat in rear and what you do up front affects rear and vica versa etc etc

In the wet with the rebound set to under half car was amazing and very neutral and in dry i know only go to just over mid hard and car felt same. still some work to do but with No TB in front, 26mm in rear I was now up at 3 clicks from hard all round so this new set up will give me some additional B&R to play with. I could have went larger TB on back but they are a pain to change hence why I was suggesting that if a KW set is being considered then i would buy the threaded versions to ensure not stuck later in future

All of this was in prep for a new 3.3.Turbo race engine being built for next season so it was important for me to work on my cars set up, brake etc to ensure when fitted we, hopefully, just need to concentrate on balancing car and getting power down with new set up...oh and stop! Hoping to limit 930T to around 400BHPish to start however and No lag!

Remember be kind as I am an amateur racer but KH is quite a challenging track and i need car set up for there as thats where championship runs from.

...and Porsche welded in various reinforcements to RSRs etc.

@Boydyrs no argument that coilovers make perfect sense for you.  My comments were really only thinking about people with road cars who may see coilovers as necessary for reasons that they may not fully understand.  They are better for a specific set of circumstances, but will be no better in other circumstances.  Hope that makes sense.

Richard agreed and I am only recommending that I would price threaded and un-threaded to allow for poss upgrade later as an option.....they wont be cheap on any account

Is that the only difference between the two though - threaded vs unthreaded?