Front Brake Upgrade: 3.2 to Boxster (Non-S)

DavidH

A brake upgrade has been on my list for a while and now seems like a good time considering the car is tucked up in the garage until it warms up a bit!

To keep things simple I am thinking of just switching the front calipers to a non-S boxster - same discs, same 16" wheels, same 3.2 rear end set-up ...

Mark's write-up has been a great help and I'll look to fit a 930 master cyclinder as well.... but I am struggling to find adapters that I think are a resonable cost

https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13721-32-brake-refurb-and-upgrade/

(1) Douglas Valley & ebay have a few sets of calipers for £350 (including P&P)

(2) Master cylinder is about £200 with a EuroCarParts offer

(3) Caliper Adapters: Found a few in the USA - Reble Racing & Rennline - but the kits are around £220 .... which seems pretty high for what it is...

Where have people sourced their adapter kits from? Is there a UK supplier?

I got my adaptors from Clubautosport, about £100 IIRC. As I wrote elsewhere here, change the rubber hoses for braided, put decent fluid in it  and drive it with the original master cylinder before you splash out £200 on a new one. My car is 100% fine without a 930 cylinder.

Chris.

is it really worth upgrading to a boxster brake set? especially for road use? I've never really had a problem with the stock 3.2 brakes even when hurtling into paddock bend at crazy speeds on track or other fast corners. Admittedly i'm not Lewis Hamilton but even so, you rely on the brakes being up to task far more on track than you do in almost any road condition. :morning:

Just my :twocents:

I bought a set of non-S Boxster calipers to do this, despite refreshing the brakes a couple of years before I stripped the car for full refurb. When I got the car back on the road I realised that the (good condition) brakes were plenty good enough for me. I can, with an almighty push, lock up all four wheels at 60mph in the summer on excellent tyres on good, dry tarmac.

Given I don't do track days and I don't need the bigger discs to dissipate the heat from anchoring up at the end of Mulsanne every few minutes I just didn't see the need so sold them on.

Agree standard calipers are sufficient - I think the circa 3kg unsprung weight saving is one of the benefits of the Boxster monoblocs (offset my ally front underbelly protection plate)

Plus, dependent on final finish, they look better than the standard items.

As long as you don’t paint them red....

59 minutes ago, Kenny Senior said:

I can, with an almighty push, lock up all four wheels at 60mph in the summer on excellent tyres on good, dry tarmac.

That's the braking threshold. All cars will do it (different cars at different speeds), as the brakes overcome the tyre grip.

911 brakes will all lock the wheels if you try hard enough, feeling max braking just before the locking point is where boxter callipers score. I found the standard ones locked unexpectedly sometimes.

my 2p.

Thanks for all the replies - especially Chris with his Clubautosport recommendation.

Not sure I can stomach painting the calipers red but 2-pot to 4-pot with a 3kg weight saving sounds good to me!

Clubautosport make the adapters onsite and are getting back to me on cost & timings.... will post more details when I hear back...

I have fitted Boxster Non S calipers to the front of my race car with Porterfield pads (a per my previous SC Calipers), but have yet to fit uprated master cylinder. The result is not much different to the previous set up and I will upgrade MS before the start of season. A fellow competitor swears by his set up which includes 3.2 rear calipers and discs.

I bought a set of Rebel Racing kits that are expensive, but do fit well and a brand new set of calipers from local OPC (very nice and shiny and not too expensive!).

Ian

I imagine the difference felt is just down to what your starting point was.

I have a pair ready to fit when I get the car back, but I imagine the jump will be marginal as it already has rebuilt standard calipers, new hoses and fresh fluid with decent pads.

I black wrinkle finished mine.

You don't need the 930 MC if you are starting with a 3.2 MC.  I had 964 calipers AND Tuthills 4-pot rears on the std MC and always had a very firm and short pedal.

If you want a real improvement try to get a Boxster S kit or the early 944T rotor based kit so you step up from 24mm to 28mm thickness and 300+mm diameter.  Or the alloy bell 930 disc and 964 caliper Jevvy set up.  Lots of cool options that have been done before and not break the bank expensive if you do some careful sourcing.

Having said all that, the biggest change you can make will be changing to race pads with a higher friction co-ef and more bite.