Impact Bumpers
Chris_911

Classic Le Mans 2018

Hi Rich

There are some 'better' campsites at the circuit. Companies like Traveldestinations organise camping with good showers.

I think the campsite I'm looking at at the Porsche Curves might be a Traveldestinations shindig.

If you have to travel in there is plenty of day parking. Also, you might want to consider being able to drive to Arrange corner - it's a good place to watch, especially at night.

based on last years Le mans 24, I would say Speed chills has the better campsite than Travel Destinations to be honest. TD is a decent site with clean showers etc and a tent serving beer and food but its further away from the track and on lower ground so can get swampy if it hoons down. They do provide shuttle buses but we ended up walking back nearly every time. we went past Speed chills site each time, hence the observation.

Totally different crowd at the Classic compared to the normal 24hrs. A lot more civilised!

Edited by MarkJ

if youre in a camper, just get tickets for Bleu Nord from ACO and go in the general camping area. Its a really short walk into th ecircuit from there and TBH , the toilet shower situation is fine .  We ( DDK ) have camped in the BN general camping for a number of years now and found it great as historically we have always prefered general camping to private camping as it feels more like the real Classic LeMans with an eclectic mix of cars around you

I have decided to attend, hopefully with the DDK massive at the Porsche Curves.

The death of a friend in the early hours of this morning tends to put one's life in perspective, and that opportunities to make memories need to be seized.

We stayed in Camping Bleu many years ago when first attending the 24hr. Showers were rudimentary (a small block of 2 for the whole campsite) but I am sure the ACO will have improved the situation from then. 

Can certainly vouch for the greater variety of cars and short walk into the circuit. It was here I first fell in love with a bumperless Danish registered 105 Alfa which we rencountered a few years later on the journey down when I had acquired my very own - need to dig out the photo we have side by side!

In following years we did the original incarnation of speedchills which was a bit further out on a mad max style campsite near he Porsche curves. A group of Norwegians were broadcasting 24hr 'adult' movies on the side of an artic lorry!

Agree worth making those memories whilst we still can.

I can't recommend the Speedchills camping experience at Bleu Nord enough. Nice secure area, good food and drink option just a stones throw from the circuit. Booking this again for this years event. Toilets and showers are fine.

Hi Guys, camping at Bleu Nord looks good for the grandstands but how far do you have to walk to get into the paddock pits area? Booking info also says pitches are numbered, is this true?

Richard

Yes pitches are numbered in blue Nord and each is 7m by 5m as I recall so big enough for one car and a big tent. 

There is a tunnel under the start finish line that goes from the stands to the start of the paddock/pits so no problems on that front. 

There are plenty of maps and guides about to get you orientated for any of the Le Mans events. These guys produce a pretty good guide to the main event every year but a lot of it is relevant to the Classic.

http://www.beermountain.com

Cheers,

Al

Has anyone stayed on the Epinettes site? Just behind Houx which is reversed for team members.

BeerMountain rating is only 2 bottles and states "Friendly refugees from other overbooked sites thankful they have somewhere to camp". Also states a longer than average walk to the track. looking on the map it looks quite central and an easy walk to pits area.

Bleu Nord is stated as exposed if windy and hot, is this a major problem? But probably the best location.

Finally Beausejour states can be a long way to the grandstands as the private camping is at the front.

Richard

On 24 January 2018 at 2:01 PM, Lesworth said:

I can't recommend the Speedchills camping experience at Bleu Nord enough. Nice secure area, good food and drink option just a stones throw from the circuit. Booking this again for this years event. Toilets and showers are fine.

Me and a mate are staying at Speed chills Les, see you there, :) all booked.

On 1/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, MarkJ said:

Me and a mate are staying at Speed chills Les, see you there, :) all booked.

:signs85:

My first Le Mans was watching the Gulf  McLarens. If I close my eyes I can still hear that V12......

Finally booked Thursday 06.50 on the tunnel camp DDK Bleu Nord Thurs, Fri & Sat, Hotel Acropole in Bernay (great restaurant) on Sun and tunnel Mon 17.50

1 x Lambo Aventidor, 1 x Maserati and my 930 LE, looking forward to it already.

kev

2 hours ago, kevinkjse said:

1 x Lambo Aventidor, 1 x Maserati and my 930 LE, looking forward to it already.

Nice combination...................;)

Yep - all booked and staying on the Pistonheads site. My 6th CLM. This year going all posh and renting pre-erected tents with beds!! Food at Le Mans isn't that great and after staying in various non private camping sites, we now appreciate the breakfast/evening meal and private bar facilities offered as part of this package. No view of circuit but clean showers and a 10 min walk to the track compensate. 

Seven cars in my convoy including two IBs and we are leaving Poole Thursday morning. 

Cant wait!