Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
PeterK

Hydraulic cam chain tensioners, or not

Hi all

If I'd rebuilt my 3.0 SC engine a couple of years ago, all the advice would be that you absolutely must fit the hydraulic cam chain tensioners.  However, now there appears to be contra advice, suggesting that the hydraulic tensioners also fail, and so just ensure that your original tensioners are sound and maybe fit the collars to stop them collapsing completely in the even of failure.

What say the learned of this parish - should I fit a hydraulic tensioner kit (about £600 from RosePassion), or save my money ?

Thanks

Peter

I can't comment on which is best but I can confirm that hydraulic chain tensioners can fail.  In fact, I had one fail and it's replacement also failed within 1000 miles!  Work was done by Robert Gant who reckoned the chances of it happening were 1 in 1m.  Suffice it to say he replaced the second one FOC and had "words" with Porsche, successfully I understand.

So they are not completely "bomb proof", but as the originals had done 100k miles they are pretty sturdy.

Just my 2p's worth.

Be interested to hear what you decide.

Good Luck

john c

Thanks John

Just after I posted this, there was a rake of old tensioner posts resurected on DDK.  I conclude that the original type of tensioner (rebuilt if needed) plus safely rings / collars is probably the way to go.