My Shed Thread

World Citizen

I knew the rear half of the roof would take so much longer than the front but was hoping it wouldn't have gone on for so long.

Lots and lots of tile cutting needed, used a combination of a 4.5" and 9" angle grinder with a diamond tipping cutting blade, 

IMG_6290.thumb.JPG.1fa6d4bd28a0772656bf5386ffdb97be.JPG

Long time coming as I've only had weekend time to work on it but the roof is all done 😎 

IMG_6292.thumb.JPG.66cddc2306b4aa56a820716133851e58.JPG

IMG_6294.thumb.JPG.01833b544865069e7d0c29e6bc32d0b9.JPG

Mrs WC has been busy on the boundary wall, diagonal timber is a quick mock up of the rear ground floor garage extension roof. I'll make a more accurate roof line guide once the scaffolding has been removed . Just a bit more boundary wall stonework to go but looking good so far.

IMG_6298.thumb.JPG.84c1db9c36db62e591d016d799ed47c1.JPG

Had a quick clean up in the house part of this man cave with an attached house build 😃 , It's reasonable sized space, good job too as we need to fit in a master bedroom, en suite bathroom and family bathroom

IMG_6300.thumb.JPG.4ed5ae79e7eed2232d56441ab4e0323a.JPG

Next update will be without the rear scaffolding spoiling the view :yahoo: I'm hoping the rear elevation proportions/shape looks balanced and works well with the old part of the house and yet to be finished rear garage extension

cheers gents, 

Les, I reckon Mrs WC would hammer Mr Nail at arm wrestling 😃

Finally after many rear roofing weekends the rear scaffolding was taken down. Not something I'd envisaged but the shape/proportions of a building really changes as it goes up and at times quite difficult to visualize the positions of various features when viewed through lots of scaffolding poles/walkways etc

IMG_6323.thumb.JPG.5c9b62f3823e9ada710621bc69d324ca.JPG 

This side was always going to be the difficult side to get the look just right. Not 100% happy with the rear elevation look but will reserve final judgement until we've finished the garage extension and entrance

I'm however extremely happy with width of the entrance to my man cave 😎

IMG_6326.thumb.JPG.683383a1f49d5a1cb6c0e38a67c700de.JPG

Today was tough, Mrs WC and I cleared all the rubble away and tidied up the driveway, has really opened up the driveway space. A very satisfying day!

IMG_6330.thumb.JPG.3fbe8cf3e6bb992c76c537b50cf718af.JPG

Just need to get rid of my old Toyota, feel the need to reduce my projects a bit 🤔

IMG_6322.thumb.JPG.9ebdb92252c173ede5e7d90f5b708606.JPG

One last hoorah of heavy lifting before I'll be on post op light duties for the next few weeks 

IMG_6318.thumb.JPG.569fe13aa7fc93fb65494842197fcdeb.JPG

amazing job Stephen, high quality workmanship, you should stand back proudly with your hands on your hips and a sweet smile of satisfaction :)

I love the undercroft with the oak beam over it and that is a serious man-cave entrance next to it!

11 hours ago, MarkJ said:

amazing job Stephen, high quality workmanship, you should stand back proudly with your hands on your hips and a sweet smile of satisfaction :)

I love the undercroft with the oak beam over it and that is a serious man-cave entrance next to it!

thanks Mark, got a long way to go before I'll be able to stand back and admire our efforts

Man cave will hopefully be the 'piece to resistance'  but I've got a conundrum going on with the yet to be built 'lean to' roof above the entrance.

I designed and have planning permission for a glass paneled roof (follows on from the sun room roof style I built years ago) but a more conventional tiled roof to match the main roof has a few advantages 

sunroom.thumb.JPG.353eb60c9b4ca2340bb93f8572317f0a.JPG

I like the look of glass but won't need much natural daylight, glass roof is a bit OTT for a garage but may look too quaint once the interior is done, glass is a lot more expensive but not enough to make it a deal breaker, lower pitch glass roof would allow a 300mm higher door opening but I think I'll have enough height at 2.25m without it

Not sure, really not sure :unsure: need to give it some thought but while I'm indecisive about my indecision's I'm open to all suggestions

Edited by World Citizen

• 2 months later...

Sorry, no shed update, man cave work has stalled, my hernia op/mending stopped play and we had a family emergency to deal with

Everything back to normal so Mrs WC and I decided to chill out doing some relaxing gardening 🙄

After lots of fly tipping of building material used to look like this

IMG_5685.thumb.JPG.f0634f23e1d645044df376efcd1c14fc.JPG

After moving off tons and tons of walling/building stone, lots of weeding and a small start on the levelling it looked like this

IMG_6506_Copy_2_1563141311.jpg.546f418497c1c83c7e0f178732135ace.jpg

My weeding st00l of choice is a forged magnesium BBS Benetton F1 rear wheel , in very good shape considering it been outside for 20 yrs

IMG_6510_Copy_2_1563141783.jpg.42261539246c80a064bf4d119cac9c46.jpg

I dug up the whole area with a garden spade to loosen up the ground, makes raking easier and to get some air into the soil. Then lots of raking, picking out stones and tons more shoveling of soil to level up the ground by eye

IMG_6508_Copy_2_1563141511.jpg.6d2081f92496ce3b61c2666228eff9e5.jpg

Latest gadget is a rotary laser level, not sure how I managed to get through life without one. Covers the whole garden but just not powerful enough to use in full daylight, OCD lawn flatness is a curse I'm learning to live with

IMG_6524_Copy_2_1563141589.jpg.ec2e18e195b17154ecf16c6544d64707.jpg

Mrs WC has nearly finished the boundary wall, no one will ever know it's the outer wall of the back end of my man cave

IMG_6518_Copy_2_1563141874.jpg.e0ba690bcfcec8925cc9e1063d50e0fe.jpg

I know I have said this before...but with every update I am in awe of what you and Mrs WC have done with this project.

I hope it continues to go smoothly and you both richly enjoy the fruits of your labours and the finished result!

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents, apologies for lack of updates but work, life, holidays have slowed up progress but we are still plodding away at the garden

Phill, garden st00l is worthless, back in the good old days when the wheel was racing it had a life of 1500 kms before being scrapped

First up is the lawn, leveling all done, no turf yet but needs another round of weeding. Think I've made some more work for myself as we've decide we need another small patio in the far right rear corner of the garden, may put the BBQ there or might even build a stone pizza oven

IMG_6542.thumb.JPG.60d94d3f2320d8f6e01cbde11f796452.JPG

Mrs WC has been putting the finishing touches on her driveway wall, we weren't sure how best to top the wall off. New cut stone would have looked good but just too expensive so we reduced our stone pile and matched the style of the boundary wall. We'll plant a Yew hedge just behind it so the two should work well together

IMG_6904.thumb.JPG.e57f47e7d0324d6afdf4698065b627af.JPG

IMG_6933.thumb.JPG.dc670579a21b09e5f6c878829d468019.JPG

Biggest excitement 🙄 since the last update was delivery of a new heating oil tank. 1150 ltrs capacity plastic bunded (twin walled) construction with an additional 30 min fire barrier housing

IMG_6924.thumb.JPG.f81ad961b54251c4eeb515a8b654cfda.JPG

Getting the truck into our next door neighbor's driveway was quite tight fit. Mrs WC was site manager while I was at work and as expected everything went smoothly

Tank is a big, ugly eyesore so only one thing to do but to hide it so I spent the last two weekends building yet another wall using left over stone. It won't fall down time anytime soon as it's 30" thick. As Mrs WC is our stone walling expert the pressure was on for me not to make a mess of it, quite pleased with how it turned out

IMG_6927.JPG

This all looks soooo good mate.  Kudos.

BTW, I am full of advice (some of it BS no doubt) when it comes to Pizza Ovens. I own one and have cooked in everything from single pizza size ovens to "you can stand up inside the oven" size.  

Did you have one in Italy?

Edited by Richard Bernau

• 2 weeks later...

Phill, Mrs WC is a professional, I made the wall thick in a feeble attempt to reduce my stone rubbish pile which didn't go down much 🙄

Cheers RB, I will be sure to call on your expertise, didn't have one in Italy, just too many local restaurants making far better pizza's that I could ever make

This new patio area took an afternoon to do, only a small patio 2m square, enough room for a pizza oven, a couple of chairs and table, perfect position to relax, enjoy a Pimm's and admire what we've done (one day, one day)

Shuttering made out of left over joists, used a base of left over walling stone and then wheel barrowed around 12 loads of concrete
IMG_6944.thumb.JPG.071e0ecbf62e9e4c670981aa06a58b7d.JPG

Let it sit for a week to set and knocked the shuttering off, now left with a sturdy base to lay stone flagstones on, won't be finished until after the garden stairs as I want to use the best flagstones on this first
IMG_6947.thumb.JPG.27ae22fd458b3ce135b20adecfb82b99.JPG

Concreting  is a rock hard workout, easily the most physically demanding work I've done on this build, seems to sap my strength/stamina more than any of the other trades
IMG_6940.thumb.JPG.36ba9432080fad2e6aff9bc528f49d87.JPG

Mrs WC has been busy leveling the lawn area and raking out stones, also finished off her garden wall building a mortar cap on top of inner stone wall
IMG_6949.thumb.JPG.2bb0a85d67b7a8e26c7400dcb4e9d942.JPG

As progress this year has slowed considerably  due to my work commitments I'm in the process of making changes. Easier, cheaper, quicker would be to just pay tradesmen to finish it off but easy is boring and in no way a satisfying achievement 😜

1 hour ago, Richard Bernau said:

If you want a decent pizza oven, you are going to need a bigger patio...

No matter how you do it, the ovens are about a metre deep.  And then you want an outdoor fireplace to go with it...

You're right RB, didn't want the patio being the garden so resisted the urge to go too big

Think I'll save the pizza oven build for 'la mia piccolo casa di montagna', wood is cheap as chips out there, weather and views are much better too :cool:

You can never have too many wood fired facilities.  Not very Green, but its a moto I live by - wood burner inside, pizza oven and out door fireplace round the patio.  If I had your Slovenia house, I would certainly be building an outdoor oven there.  You can do it on a weekend with a bit of help and prior planning.

2 hours ago, Dr Rock said:

True...:smiley-good-post-sign:

Looking great WC :signs118:

Cheers Fraser,

Real fire is best, planning to buy my own forest when I find the right one, cheap as chips, a m2 of English turf is 6x the cost of m2 of alpine mountain forest

Got the daddy of wood fired facilities, an inglenook fire place, burns more flammable stuff than my 930 on boost

First fire up burnt 3/4's of a ton of logs over a long weekend :o we heat the whole village :lol: only used on weekends, costs as much as a car to run if used 7 days a week