My Shed Thread

World Citizen

thanks 8bucks, Mrs WC has quite a fan club, her stonework receives far more compliments than my meager efforts

Beaky, once this thing blows over, you're welcome anytime 

Got some professional help in this week with Mrs WC and we smashed through the pointing in 3 days to finish the front of the house. Phew, am I glad this fill in job is done!

With a bit of trail and error we achieved a close enough match to the smooth, curvy style of pointing on the man cave extension build, just needs a few rainy days and it will weather up nicely

Had a visit from a local stonemason who complained people were ruining the Cotswold's because they aren't using lime mortar 🙄 I bid him a good evening, then to his dismay revealed I use the same 5 sand/1 cement every local builder uses on nearly every house in the village before setting the dog and both cats on him!

Considering I replaced the full lower 2ft of stone in around 14 different sections the courses all came out pretty level which was a pleasing surprise to me

IMG_3371.thumb.JPG.e1d1a1decb5f7b9ca01a69fe9d0e9705.JPG

Back to my desk job next week 😩 but I'm hoping the next update will contain some 'Shed' action and a progress report on Mrs WC's amazing floating wall 

• Like 2

Thanks gents, really appreciate your comments

green911, that's cheating!!!! 😁

8bucks, Mrs WC's garden wall gets all the compliments, even from professional builders, she busy lowering it which isn't the easiest of jobs but it's looking good, I'll do a special update for you when it's done

• 2 weeks later...

As promised this update is all about Mrs WC's project which has kept her busy for a few weeks 

As we intend to lower the driveway down to make all the various levels work together better than the original plans her curvy garden stone wall she built needs about 0.5m adding to the bottom of it.

First job was dig out and lower the ground, then put down a shallow concrete base. The ground is mostly stone so it was a pick axe and demolition hammer job instead of an easy dig with a spade. The stone in the pic was her just practicing

IMG_33481591373766.jpg

I helped a little by cutting and chiseling back the original footings which was made from concrete and very dense concrete blocks. Dusty, horrible job but much easier than digging 😝

IMG_77661591374341.jpg

Then Mrs WC laid 5 courses of fresh stone with a bit of concrete behind to join up to the bottom of the original wall

IMG_78131591374677.jpg

IMG_78181591374776.jpg

Mrs WC quite often doubts she has the skills for building work but in reality she is better than very good. I just let her get on with it and try to keep out of her way so as not to slow her up

As we would like to add some lighting around the driveway I bought a 50W halogen up lighter to see how it would look. Think a few of these all around will work well but we'll probably dim down the bulb brightness a notch

IMG_78191591375031.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

I can just about manage to build with Lego.................................................................still in awe!

Likewise 😀

It would be good to see Mrs WC in action so we can all be even more in awe!

One of these weekends it would be great to drop by and pay homage in person.

Giovanni 😲 once seen it can't be unseen 😄

Thanks for the compliments and I have passed on your kind comments to Mrs WC (the management) 👍

Exciting week this week, our builder was back on site to finish off the pillars for the man cave entrance. Not quite as impressive as the pillars on the Pantheon but they do add a little something to the rear aspect

IMG_34111592153836.jpg

The stone around the last window was finished too

IMG_7831.thumb.JPG.92d81f9f2652b52dbeaa021d77ab6eef.JPG

Mostly tidying up this weekend, easy job this morning was freshly painting the garage opening steel beams then followed by some heavy lifting by Mrs WC and myself getting the beams in place for hopefully the last big lift this week

IMG_34081592154259.jpg

The 'oak' beam I thought was oak isn't. After sanding and cutting it to length I quickly realized it wasn't as it's easily the hardest wood I've ever come across. It's 9" x 9" square and 6m long but with only about 10mm curvature so almost as straight as a straight thing

IMG_33931592154396.jpg

After a bit of internet sleuthing I found out that it's an African hardwood (can't remember the name) with a higher specific gravity than water so it weighs in around 300kgs

On 14/06/2020 at 18:26, World Citizen said:

Giovanni 😲 once seen it can't be unseen 😄

Thanks for the compliments and I have passed on your kind comments to Mrs WC (the management) 👍

Exciting week this week, our builder was back on site to finish off the pillars for the man cave entrance. Not quite as impressive as the pillars on the Pantheon but they do add a little something to the rear aspect

IMG_34111592153836.jpg

The stone around the last window was finished too

IMG_7831.thumb.JPG.92d81f9f2652b52dbeaa021d77ab6eef.JPG

Mostly tidying up this weekend, easy job this morning was freshly painting the garage opening steel beams then followed by some heavy lifting by Mrs WC and myself getting the beams in place for hopefully the last big lift this week

IMG_34081592154259.jpg

The 'oak' beam I thought was oak isn't. After sanding and cutting it to length I quickly realized it wasn't as it's easily the hardest wood I've ever come across. It's 9" x 9" square and 6m long but with only about 10mm curvature so almost as straight as a straight thing

IMG_33931592154396.jpg

After a bit of internet sleuthing I found out that it's an African hardwood (can't remember the name) with a higher specific gravity than water so it weighs in around 300kgs

One feels that if that piece of wood could talk it would have some very interesting stories to tell.

As already said, stunning!  I've just shown this recent part of the thread to Mrs GS and the two of us are equally in awe.

BTW, is that wood Lignum Vitae, by any chance?  A hard, heavy wood that sinks in water and that I only know of because it is (or used to be, at any rate) used as the core material in the best snowboards.