My Shed Thread

World Citizen

On 20/04/2021 at 20:04, Chris T said:

There's a huge amount of steel in 'new old' buildings like yours..... Amazing the steel-free real old ones are still standing if it's really required eh? 

This week was a good week!

My structural engineer came out to check all 18 steel beams, 2 steel columns and the steel truss, she seemed impressed which was great as without her help we couldn't have built what we have. 

When I mentioned you're comment Chris her reply made me chuckle 'without the steel you couldn't build something like this' 😉

Built my 1st stud wall, used a 9" x 2" horizontal timber to add a bit of side stiffness to the 2.4m tall  3" x 2" vertical timbers as this wall will go to the full roof height. 

IMG_8531.thumb.JPG.62ebed4b3afd99e3eca364903a0df908.JPG

Started insulating the roof, horrible job chopping up 3" thick insulation panels to snugly fit between the joists, 11 sheets down, 40 something to go 😢 Roof insulation is 6" thick, should do the job!

IMG_8543.thumb.JPG.b666625a8fbb361c3e357bd438bd8dcb.JPG

Also some keyhole surgery through the 2ft thick house stone gable end wall so I could measure where the old inner wall is relative to the new inner wall to work out the right width for the upstairs hallway

IMG_8545.thumb.JPG.7a743162251f133d63489ddd6ed4bed5.JPG

With Mrs WC's words of 'Don't destroy our only bathroom' ringing in my ears a gentle approach was required to only remove one 2" square tile

IMG_8552.thumb.JPG.7a022d82c1d9b8d6adac27ba2f2bead7.JPG

This week it's more insulation work 😪

Edited by World Citizen

3 hours ago, mean in green said:

A tip if you didn’t know, use a smooth edged kitchen knife to cut it. Using a saw creates much more mess.

Think a kitchen knife would struggle a bit on the 3" thick stuff I'm using but I'm going to invest in one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-insulation-saw-22-550mm/7498k

Just using a normal woodsaw at the moment so it looks like it's been snowing outside 😅

Not sure about your roof construction but on my oak framed house, the biggest source of drafts is the eaves where the rafter sits on the wall plate.  On my roof inside there is a 'fillet' of oak between each rafter pair on top of the wall plate.  I took every one of them out and wedged a triangle of insulation board behind each.  Made a big difference.

Stanley knife both sides and snap for me.

On 26/04/2021 at 10:33, World Citizen said:

Think a kitchen knife would struggle a bit on the 3" thick stuff I'm using but I'm going to invest in one of these

https://www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-insulation-saw-22-550mm/7498k

Just using a normal woodsaw at the moment so it looks like it's been snowing outside 😅

Will be great for your Sunday roast👍😀🥩👍

16 hours ago, Richot1989 said:

Will be great for your Sunday roast👍😀🥩👍

Cutting a 3" sheet with my new saw creates much less mess but gives my spindly, weak office arms a proper work out 💪

Should work ok on a turkey roast 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the top tip Jonny, I'm spending quite a bit of extra time chamfering the boards so they fit tightly onto the wall plate, will also aluminium tape up all joints too

Been a while since the last update, busy doing lots of small jobs and tidying up the place

Utility room door frame and step done, vertical door jambs are 7" x 4" oak with a 4" thick stone threshold step, built to last 😎

IMG_8583.thumb.JPG.6695d848199871407978940190de4a14.JPG

More stud walling and roof insulation, 32 insulation sheets done, well over half way now but still have the high scary part of the roof to do

IMG_8589.thumb.JPG.9e187c537ada6b094bac3b2579d73b71.JPG

Tidied up the garage, it's a bloody long way down and I don't like heights so will go very carefully when doing the ceiling work on this side 

IMG_8595.thumb.JPG.f643e4ba16c5839444557dccdbcb1fff.JPG

Mrs WC has been busy lowering the driveway in the under pass entrance. We also spent a very soggy day in the pouring rain hand loading another 5 tons of diggings onto a farm trailer. 

IMG_8585.thumb.JPG.413c51c942c586a8b1740f58a4c990e2.JPG

Well worth the effort as I can't remember the last time I was able to park a car on the driveway. Perfect timing too as my son was giving it a detailing session in readiness for the Retro Rides show next weekend

IMG_8587.thumb.JPG.09b188b6c1b2415eb4231e7c8e2ba8c4.JPG

Most of time has been spent getting the building and myself mentally prepared for a building control inspection 😟 

This one is one of the major inspections to sign off all the steel work, floor joists and roof joists ie basically the main structure 

My local inspector has been quite pedantic and not very helpful with advice during his previous visits so I was fearing the worse. Maybe he's taken pity on me and my amateur efforts as this time he went away very satisfied and even offered advice on a few areas I wasn't sure of how to go about doing.

Result! :yahoo:now it's full steam ahead, again! 

• Like 5

Cheers Steve, I'm being very careful, spend most of time putting up/taking down scaffold towers, much happier on one them than a ladder 🤔

Thanks Mark, we've been calling the driveway bit an 'underpass', think the proper word for this feature is a 'porte cochere' but I don't even know how to pronounce that!

Starting to find it hard to get hold of building materials, shortages of everything but I struck lucky today with an amazing barn find of 2 sheets of chipboard 😅

plywood.jpg.3fbac907fce5fa95fbc74d7659ec1e8a.jpg

On 26/05/2021 at 19:12, strosek34 said:

Can’t fool me with your barn find Steve,  that’s OSB not chipboard,    🤓

😁

Shopping day today, again, for this project I've tried to buy local.....

In my nearest big town I shop at a family owned my builders merchants but their timber racks have been looking quite bare on my last few visits. Thought I'd hoard a few supplies to keep me going over the bank holiday weekend and before prices go daft due to the shortages

Another 20 sheets of insulation for delivery late next week too, ratchet straps just weren't long enough 🤔 

Even managed to blag 5 bags of cement which are being rationed at the moment

thumbnail_20210527_100700.thumb.jpg.34c6e06cd37b6053fb0e621c7e5c77cd.jpg

With the front passenger seat removed I reckon my truck is more versatile than a pick up, up rated rear springs are ace, drove really well and took the weight in it's stride 😎

• Like 1

15 hours ago, World Citizen said:

The sun came back out again this weekend 😎 after a long cold, wet winter and spring so Mrs WC has started work on her latest garden project....

IMG_8604.thumb.JPG.a63f07d3cb8eef6a4cb3e92c6790b64d.JPG

My money was on a ornamental well, at which point I was going back reference Ace’s experience.

@Ace is our resident well expert.

VT

• Haha 1