My Shed Thread

World Citizen

+1 for a wood burner WC. In an inglenook fireplace. Had open fires in the past and its like sitting at a bbq all night lol. Wood burner far more civilised and a lot more heat. We have a thermostatic Godin wood burner we brought back from France. Bimetallic strip at the back regulates air opening and closing. Its just awesome. keeps itself regulated. We use a lot of wood. Probably 10 or 12 cubic metres a year but we don't use central heating all that much. Tiny cottage, wood burner, job done. 

I'm hearing you guys on a wood burner but we have central heating, can't beat the look, smell and feel of a real fire

Was hoping for a big win and reveal of the lawn this update, we were all booked and ready to take delivery of 100m2, even took an afternoon off for one last session of leveling, but.....

My turf chap called the day before and advised due to the heavy rain we've had he'd recommend leaving it for next weekend as the turf was a bit fragile due to being so wet frown.gif

You'll have to use your imagination to picture what the lawn will look like or maybe someone can Photoshop all the brown soil to a lush green lawn
IMG_69621569771492.jpg

IMG_69771569771596.jpg

After finishing my wall to hide the oil tank, part of the old wall was bothering me as it wasn't now as tall as the new section of wall
IMG_69291569771700.jpg

Only one way to fix it, yet more wall building to blend new into old or old into new confused.gif, give it a winter of moss growth and no one will ever know wink.gif
IMG_69731569772328.jpg

Finished the wall off with a cement cap to weather proof it, job done and a minor win to me.

I let my OCD get the better of me on this wall as I'd planned to use concrete blocks on the rear face. No one would ever see it but in the end I just couldn't so did the right thing and used up some more stone biggrin.gif

Heating oil tank has a 30 min fire barrier external cladding, required by building regulations as it is closer than the minimum allowed distance to the roof eaves.
IMG_69751569771989.jpg

Early this morning the turf fairy left this pile on our drive, 2 pallets or 100 rolls or 100m2 or 1000ft2 of green lushiness

IMG_69811570280081.jpg

A sprinkle of fertilizer and one last rake the lawn looked like this

IMG_69871570279612.jpg

IMG_69891570279762.jpg

IMG_69931570279892.jpg

Mrs WC, myself and WC Jr (yep, we used child labour on this job biggrin.gif) all found it a very satisfying and easy job to do, only took 3hrs from start to finish, done and dusted in time for lunch cool.gif

IMG_70071570280489.jpg

IMG_70041570280773.jpg

IMG_70101570280919.jpg

It really has made the garden look larger and as we are in England we booked in advance heavy rain for late tonight

• 1 month later...

Cheers Jev, we will rave but you'll probably need a zimmer frame by the time I've finished

Distraction, distractions, too many distractions, all good but nothing that helps progress

This is Mrs WC's side project, all her own work and all I did was help lay the flagstones

Started with this and a rough idea of what we wantedIMG_5243.thumb.JPG.ec1829a111c5838fb3c558b8f5888663.JPG

Then built a 'nuclear proof' base for the stepsIMG_7025.thumb.JPG.56941438f03bccb55aae1a04769bac01.JPG

The the icing on the cake, gentle, shallow steps up to the gardenIMG_7038.thumb.JPG.63898ebd36fb18ca5a9df231d9f017b7.JPG

In other news my old Toyota truck failed it's MOT, the list was long as it's 25 yrs old, my daily driver, covers 20k miles a year

First thought was scrap it, time for me to grow up and buy a sensible German family estate

Then my son reminded me I'd promised we'd keep it going until it reached the moon so I've spent the last 3 days rolling around outside on the driveway ticking off jobs needed for it to pass the MOT

As I refuse to grow up I've added the job of a complete brake overhaul so it's Nordschleife ready for a few laps round in early Jan 😎🤔😂 Mrs WC is not impressed

• 1 month later...

No UK shed action over the Chrimbo hols but I did find time to relax at my small mountain shed 

IMG_29391577816081.jpg

Was quite stressful driving as only a few hours out of Calais the rear prop shaft rear UJ start falling apart 😰

On the trip back I was counting down how far to go firstly in countries, then 100 km lumps, then 10 mile lumps once back in the UK and finally the last leg home off the motorway it was per mile 😫 

Somehow I managed to nurse my old Toyota and ring an extra 2500 miles life out of the UJ to make it safely home 😎  all good practice for when Mrs WC and I go on more extreme drives

All worth it as my UK shed hasn't got a view like this

IMG_27641577817174.jpg

For 2020 I'm aiming to get a bit more shed action in than last year and have a massive clear out of chod collected over the last few decades

11 hours ago, Beaky said:

Continued to be absolutely amazed at all of this, and that Toyota rocks

Thanks Beaky,  still got a way to go yet with the build and yes, the Toyota is mega

My truck is my antidote to the high tech/disposable world we live in, my happy place and takes us to places other family cars can't go 😎

IMG_1222.thumb.JPG.1740b8557944e6e8aa8cd6a9a51b1b42.JPG

9 hours ago, johndglynn said:

Glad the 4runner is still running! Great trucks. BTDT with prop UJ also. Happy new year mate ;) 

Cheers JG, Happy New Year to you and thanks for keeping this little corner of the net going, still a great place to spend time

• 3 months later...

It's only stopped raining or being too cold since last Oct. and I'm into week 2 of a 3 week imposed work shutdown so I'm back at it, big time! 😎 

I've turned my driveway into a Cotswold Gulag 😬

IMG_7665.thumb.JPG.6431199e559db8908c8b7c10b8b199ae.JPG

My work from home office on a dry cutting day, new 9" Makita angle grinder (killed my Dewalt) with diamond blade works a treat. I''m trimming down the Fred Flintstone town of Bedrock quoins into 4-5" thick quoins for the yet to be finish man cave entrance pillars. Some of the really big quoins take's all of Mrs WC's strength and some of my strength to roll along to the chopping area

LMAH4561.thumb.JPG.ea2167498fa26ceb9ae47c427fdd706b.JPG

My office on a wet cutting day, 14" diamond blade with a splash of cool refreshing slurry spray. Having chopped all the lightweight stuff up for the main walls of the man cave I'm now onto 7" tall and up lumps of stone. A day of lifting and cutting is a proper big boys workout so I'm aching a smidge!

IMG_7671.thumb.JPG.229aff1b0077ff4567cf8eba1586f1f9.JPG

2 days of cutting turns big stones into little stones and the off cut mountain is taller (pile to the right in above pic). Most of the fresh cut stone is not for the man cave build but for repairing the front of the original house from decades of cars splashing, washing away the bottom 2ft of outer wall. A job for another day but for now I'm trying to find my driveway again.

IMG_7673.thumb.JPG.ec86ade9298e96821d0c841426bf5ca4.JPG

Thanks for the comments, wasn't sure if anyone was still interested

Sorry Drinky, updates will come thick and fast in real time as Mrs WC, myself and our builder do the work

Good news, work lock down has been extended by another couple of weeks, the sun is still shining and I've lost 5kgs of weight

Bad news, I'm still chopping up stone, feeling more than a bit beat up and Mrs WC thought she had finished wall building 😄 

I shall post up an update tomorrow with some pic's, just need a 3rd day on the man cave clear up 🤔

Edited by World Citizen
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, World Citizen said:

wasn't sure if anyone was still interested

Are you kidding, this is better than Game of Thrones....................