My Shed Thread

World Citizen

LOL 😂

Another week down, another update, I've mainly been doing a lot of stone chopping (again) 😏, some tidying up and not making myself very popular with Mrs WC when I declared the driveway needs lowering as it's too high relative to the man cave floor slab

Mrs WC's garden wall needs another 1.5ft adding to the bottom of it, so I socially distanced myself and left her alone for a few hours, this is what she did

IMG_7691.thumb.JPG.073c02cef98ff48955fe6c8cf62f56c2.JPG

To get back in her good books I did this, lots and lots of lovely chopped up 5" wide walling stone

IMG_7709.thumb.JPG.5722f8a39241b2b153438a0ccfa078af.JPG

I also neatly stacked all the building materials chod, wire brushed, hard brushed and swept up enough to find my man cave concrete floor slab again

IMG_7700.thumb.JPG.6ef434b29cc0c565f794a38bc499ba2c.JPG

Not sure if I've shown my bargain 1500kg hydraulic lift table but during my tidy up I found it again. Even gave it a clean and got it working. It will need some tidying up and I'll need to cut up my floor slab for a flush install it but I'm well excited as I never once thought I'd be able to afford one

IMG_7702.thumb.JPG.067c379e29b8cbcdd88ad064ec8e5d03.JPG

The fruits of all my stone chopping, a small pile of 3", 4", 5", 6", 7" and 8" wide stacks of cut stone and a few cut stone quoins for the man cave entrance pillars. Stone laid out to the front left of the pic is for the left hand gable wall of the garage opening

Still need to cut more quoins, buy some concrete blocks for the inner walls and get my builder back on site.

IMG_7708.thumb.JPG.26429f15c25498305f9cb4e5c706f298.JPG

My spoils pile is nearly as tall as my truck and in danger of covering my stone saw, night have to move my saw over a bit but my to be cut pile of stone to the left needs chopping up first. Got a few more hard days of wet and dry cutting ahead of me and I'm hoping I'm done

Starting to look much tidier now, can even see my driveway in places

IMG_7686.thumb.JPG.3d72faebea286254c197fc823f893dae.JPG

That's it for now!

IMG_7686.JPG

Edited by World Citizen
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Looks freakin’ amazing! I should throw a few pics of the Porschehaus build up: might get that finished this year...

Ta Graham and JG, it's just great to be outside again, it's been too long, I'm like a piggy in poo with this lock down and enjoying very minute of it 😎

Please post up your Porschehaus!

I've got a few names in mind for my man cave, even plan to put up a bit of outside signage too, just need to think of a suitable name 🤔 

8 hours ago, World Citizen said:

😎I've got a few names in mind for my man cave, even plan to put up a bit of outside signage too, just need to think of a suitable name 🤔 

Great new competition JG!!

14 hours ago, World Citizen said:

IMG_7700.thumb.JPG.6ef434b29cc0c565f794a38bc499ba2c.JPG

Liking the lift platform, but the main work bench is going to need a re-think I reckon ;)

Truly epic work.  Well done to you both.  As others have said, keep the updates coming, I find this really interesting. 

That's my granny's old oak dining room table, it works really well as a bench 😁

Been a really physically tough week as I kind of left the largest stones to last for chopping 😏 my elbow joints are really starting to protest with the amount of abuse I've given my old bod!

All worth it as I have finally chopped up all the stone into usable lumps, was worth 3 weeks of toil as it would've taken me well over 0.5 year of Saturdays to do what I've done. Rare action shot of me chopping!

IMG_7735.thumb.JPG.db8ff3e4b78b093b46440cdc936605c6.JPG

Spoils pile is now taller than my truck/me. Only had 5 stones left to chop up today, it was a mess out there after heavy rain, reminded myself why I hadn't done this over the wet winter

Mrs WC's wall lowering trench is coming on nicely 

IMG_7739.thumb.JPG.b954c432bd4323d84ee316ca2796accf.JPG

This little pile of cut stone is for repairing the front of the original old house. Quite pleased with how my new wall in the left of the picture has weathered in, only took a winter too 

IMG_7744.thumb.JPG.8e32b1ec4d5d21133ee077e64ccd77ca.JPG

Not sure what to start next.... 🤔

Do I do some easy stuff with lots of small shed and man cave jobs ie finishing up the stonework around the windows, oak door jamb/stone threshold utility entrance, the shed lower opening/base and gable end stonework etc

Or go big and use the window of lock down opportunity to completely renovate the stone on the front of the original house with some fresh pointing and replacing the bottom courses with good condition reclaimed stone

Not shed or man cave related but thought I'd post up my latest infill job before man cave work resumes ......

2 mtr social distancing for me this week was mostly a vertical 2 mtrs as I've spent the whole week up and down a ladder chatting to all sorts of friendly folk while blocking the pavement outside my house 😷

The excellent craftsmanship of our builder really showed up the state of the original house so only thing for it I needed to restore the stonework on the front of the house to try and match the new man cave build as I'd like the extension and old house to look like one building built in the same century

This is the style of 'pointing' (mortar joints between the stone) on the new man cave build, it's under flush to the stone and has a smooth, softer look

IMG_31921587759674.jpg

The pointing on the original house was a real mish mash of quality and style, This is the 70's style of pointing, it's proud of the stone and cut back to expose a harder edge to it

IMG_31931587760040.jpg

There is no quick and easy way to do the first step of stripping the wall back to bare stone. Chisel, chisel, scrape, scrape, more chiseling, more scraping, repeat, repeat some more and a bit of brushing away the loose debris

After day 2 the house looked like this

IMG_31911587763592.jpg

After removing all the old pointing I then went round and chiseled out any crumbly stones, quite impressed after 250-300 yrs how few there were and most flaking/crumbling was mostly surface deep so removal was only really required cosmetically.

After 5 long days of chiseling and scraping the house looks like this. The lower section of the wall is beyond just redoing the pointing so there will be some serious action going on down there later.

IMG_32261587762137.jpg

Full respect to the original builders as they really knew how to build something that stands the test of time. I'd bet the original house will be standing a longtime after our new build.

• Like 1

Its going to look like new! That's not "70s" style pointing it's weather struck pointing and has been around for a good couple of hundred years. What's been done on your house is a very poor example. It's more suited to bricks and doing it properly takes a fair bit of skill. The pointing you are now using suits the stone and looks really good, presumably done with a piece of hose?

Raking out is a nasty horrible job :signs85:

Phil, no hose, joints are too random, a small trowel, wire brush and a stiff brush will be used for scratching out the new pointing

Steve, ta, not a job I want to do again anytime soon

Dodging the rain hampered progress of what is a slow job as I can only remove a small section at a time. Started working from each end, and I'm hoping I meet myself in the middle before it falls down 

Really pleased with how the new old stone blends in with the original old stone, will be hard to tell once it's all pointed

IMG_3261.thumb.JPG.151722307ced0a92a6ddf593c182bcb7.JPG

Did the RH section first, then the below LH end which looked closer to a pukka job as I refined my method of attack so I had to redo part of the RH to make it look less amateur 🤔 

House footings are just slabs of stone so the concrete is only there to give me a flat base to build up from

IMG_3257.thumb.JPG.0344bad61840374498140281c504125f.JPG

IMG_3258.JPG

• Like 1

Well raked out that man , having a good fine tipped hammer is a must .  I would put my money on 70's pointing as it looks like sand and cement ,  not the original lime  which may or may not have been struck but probably was . Your certainly doing a comprehensive job on the spalled stones , many would just chop out the face .   After damping and pointing in with trowel I always use a rag to push mortar in and rag off flush or just below then brush off a little later to clean up face either wire or stiff bristle but looks like you ahead of the game . All looking great :signs85:

Cheers Henry, 70's mortar was sand/cement, tough as hell to remove, the old lime mortar was much easier

Only the outer 1" of stone at most is damaged so replacing is more for cosmetic reasons. Mrs WC will use the old stone for some walling she is busy with so it won't go to waste

Man cave stonework made the house look all crap so I needed to give the front a sympathetic refresh. Meant to be just a fill in job while F1 is shutdown 😩

Fell short this week on what I'd aimed to have done but still pleased with progress!

Hottest day of the year yesterday, perfect weather for taking it easy relaxing in the garden

As I'd booked a farm trailer for a site clear up, easy wasn't the order of the day. Mrs WC and I knew we would need help we employed our two kids on child slave rates, Mstr and Ms WC were a great help 👍 !

Mountain to move

IMG_32691589104610.jpg

Mountain after we had hand shoveled, wheel barrowed, and hand bucketed. After 10hrs and 11,300kgs of stuff shifted we were on our knee's 😭 and just could shift the last bit, Not to worry we'll be adding to this pile so will have another go when it gets taller again.

IMG_33271589104719.jpg

As for my mini fill in job on restoring the front of the house I went for a 3 hole method to speed up progress 😲

IMG_32841589104833.jpg

Was aiming to finish replacing the weathered stone this week but one more day should have it done. I also decided to wire brush down the whole front so everything weathers up at the same rate. Sill got the top section to finish brushing down before I can redo the mortar joints

Really, really pleased with how the new stone (lower 2ft of the house) blends in with the old stone.

IMG_33131589105714.jpg

Edited by World Citizen
  • Like 1

.... and I moan if I have to mow the lawn 😂

11 minutes ago, World Citizen said:

Fell short this week on what I'd aimed to have done but still pleased with progress!

Hottest day of the year yesterday, perfect weather for taking it easy relaxing in the garden

As I'd booked a farm trailer for a site clear up, easy wasn't the order of the day. Mrs WC and I knew we would need help we employed our two kids on child slave rates, Mstr and Ms WC were a great help 👍 !

Mountain to move

IMG_32691589104610.jpg

Mountain after we had hand shoveled, wheel barrowed, and hand bucketed. After 10hrs and 11,300kgs of stuff shifted we were on our knee's 😭 and just could shift the last bit, Not to worry we'll be adding to this pile so will have another go when it gets taller again.

IMG_33271589104719.jpg

As for my mini fill in job on restoring the front of the house I went for a 3 hole method to speed up progress 😲

IMG_32841589104833.jpg

Was aiming to finish replacing the weathered stone this week but one more day should have it done. I also decided to wire brush down the whole front so everything weathers up at the same rate. Sill got the top section to finish brushing down before I can redo the mortar joints

Really, really pleased with how the new stone (lower 2ft of the house) blends in with the old stone.

IMG_33131589105714.jpg

It’s very obviously a labour of love WC. Do give yer self a day off one day soon. Take time to smell the roses. 

• Like 1

Cheers BB, this is me relaxing on my days off 😎

Never really considered it as a 'labour of love', I just enjoy doing stuff the best I can to create something that hopefully looks right. I'm very lucky Mrs WC enjoys the same (well most of the time) and also very good at it too!

Guess my house is more than a home to me, it's also my hobby too! Same as some peoples cars are to them

• Like 1

What a simply fantastic project, full marks to WC (and MRS WC) for their creativity and hard work, however, it might possibly be the best thread ever seen on a car forum......

Edited by 8bucksagallon

Once we are clear of this Covid menace, I'm going to drive out and pay homage to this site and to those that dwell within, :signs118::bowdown: