My Shed Thread

World Citizen

Was hoping for a better update , now waiting in A&E to be stiched up back together 😪

Had worse, but gave myself nasty paper cut from  my 9” grinder diamond tipped blade 😳

Knew I hadn’t cut through my bone as I didn’t topple over 😂

5F27085A-C2B4-468E-B05B-5C3495A5B642.thumb.jpeg.8e063b49e63c0cf010e830f9887e9cd8.jpeg

Thanks for the concern gents, Jonny wish I'd fitted the Nerf blade, I'm all good! 👍 God bless the NHS 

Promised myself I'd post up the good, bad and ugly of my build blog, as it happens and not just a 'taa daa' finished reveal format a lot of build threads follow

Well here is the ugly part

IMG_3481.thumb.JPG.863ce5b0e247bf18f380d720134414ff.JPG

It's a nasty chop, deep enough to see the red soggy teddy bear stuffing my leg seems to be filled with 😲

Needed 6 stitches, going to leave one hell of a scar, my leg modelling days are over  😢

58 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Feck's sake mate, go steady with the power tools!

You'd think a guy who had already died would be more careful!! 🤪 Glad you are still in one piece.

YOLO 🤪

Power tools scare me, a 9" grinder demands mucho respect, must remember not to stand in the way next time 🤔

The sun is shining, got Shed Thread work to do (without power tools) so getting back out there to crack on with it

Baz, I'm trying, I'm trying, can't let a little accident get in the way of progress 😅....

After a undisturbed night of rest/mending recovering from my self harm distraction I spent a day on light duties without any power tools moving bucket after bucket of stone picked out of the heap from my driveway lowering excavations.

Needed it to to fill up the ramp into the man cave, slope is a gentle 1 in 12 (thanks for your help on this Twinny), should be ok for clearance of any car on the right side of a slammed stance. Will cap it with 2-3" of concrete and then cover it with reclaimed Yorkstone flagstones. The graveled driveway will sweep up to make it all flush.

IMG_8228.thumb.JPG.078b0a4dae3e0824724f3956be3d6c92.JPG

I've tried to future proof by running service/utility conduits underneath. Large holes are for hot/cold water to the shed, medium sized hole is for a compressor airline to the man cave, small holes are for heating oil and armored electricity cable to the shed.

IMG_8235.thumb.JPG.42c232a804a7a7e5e334400d5da8c138.JPG

As usual Mrs WC has done an amazing job on the stone plinth for my air compressor shed. Just need to run some service conduits through and then I can fill with left over rubble and cap in concrete before I can start building the oak framed shed. Really looking forward to doing this mini-project!

IMG_8236.thumb.JPG.7ef4ff67b7a6a2b9486ecacb2ec0274f.JPG

Also nearly finished off making the the front door porch step work with the lowered driveway. Cut back the flagstones to fit a chamfered cut stone lintel and also cut back a couple of concrete blocks that were exposed so they could be capped in stone. The right hand unfinished side was where my 9" angle grinder turned on me and attacked 😞

IMG_8224.thumb.JPG.c27b24a655d5c5624db27da407d9dde7.JPG

As Mrs WC's stone work is nearly done around the edge of the drive way she's itching to get started on her next project, building a stone wood fired pizza oven in the far corner of the garden 😎

While I mend and regain my dangerous power tool confidence I'll carry on with more driveway lowering, oh joy, I can't wait.

Edited by World Citizen

I don't do sick well, this build is me relaxing 😎 

Got a Slovenia week away planned next month, if COVID stops that then we're going to the Ritz for tea 😍

How are you doing? Hope you're bouncing back to full health!

Remember if your tired your not mending, best bit of health advice I've ever been given

• 1 month later...

As progress on this build is about the same rate as watching paint dry, here's an update with drying paint 🙄

Mrs WC and I tackled a long over due summer 'fill in' job, painting with windows in the old part of the house

Colour choice is all WC's doing, it's a custom mix sage green shade. Lots of sample pots, a full window check and an unimpressed dog later we have our colour

IMG_8010.thumb.JPG.d54f29b282aa639b6364564b1e6931a8.JPG

Colour in the shade at the rear

IMG_8290.thumb.JPG.9683879f25e993b038d7f648885d51cc.JPG

Colour in the sun at the front

IMG_8295.thumb.JPG.8ac6383065f8ce7b4f3bd71d51d6ea80.JPG

Think the colour works quite well and a welcome alternative to the old gloss white which seems to be the default choice for most houses in our village.

In other news I've dug up more driveway so have another 20 tons piled up for grab truck collection this week. Also the upper front windows of the new build have caused my OCD gland to flare up so I'm finishing/altering them which means lots of 9" grinder action so hoping for a blood free next update 🤞

Edited by World Citizen
  • Like 3

Cheers Les, Mrs WC will be pleased!

Weather's been soggy but I've been keeping fit digging away in the evenings under floodlight and another full 20 ton grab lorry load of my diggings gone 😎 💪 This is the before! 

thumbnail_20201110_131526.thumb.jpg.737293c8b24ab46270714842b3558712.jpg

Richot, the thing scares me to death but I conquered my fear doing tricky curved cuts on 3" flagstones so they fit neatly around our 'surprise find' dry stone water well. The gravel border against the walls is for drainage

thumbnail_20201110_131514.thumb.jpg.6acf721b0cec1f71623ae8180c815b44.jpg

Years ago when breaking up a concrete path while building our rear extension, my demolition hammer fell into the well hole with me nearly following it 😲

Well is only 12ft deep as it's been partially filled in but I'm convinced it's a lot deeper as a neighbor's is 75ft deep.

I tidied up the dry stone wall and started digging it out but got paranoid I was standing on a blocked plug of earth/rubble which was stopping me having a long fall to the bottom 😟 Still need to add spotlights and replace the temporary oak boards covering it with some thick glass