3.2 Short stroke targa !

6 hours ago, WP0ZZZ said:

I'm in the same spot as you. Going from 3.0 to 3.2 represents a capacity increase of 6.7%. If this was translated directly into power it would represent around 12-15 hp. Not massive but extracting performance from those engines is not cheap! I'm not quite sure which way to go myself...

This is very interesting. How hard would it be to enlarge the ports of a 80-83 SC? Is it worth it?

Stroke only depends on the crankshaft (2 times the crank throw is equal to the stroke.)

OK, I get that ... but I thought they had to alter the conrod length and gudgeon pin offset within the piston to allow for the longer stroke within the same cylinder dimension?

7 hours ago, Phill said:

I know you are aware of my threads. Any other help I might be just ask.

Hi Phil,

Ive been following your thread with great interest, almost certainly going to follow you!!

Thanks!

So this gets more interesting!!

I have discovered its fitted with 97mm turbo cylinders from a 3.3!!  

IMG_20181209_192133608.thumb.jpg.e237e26f82d4de8c17d9aadbb99ff156.jpg

I'm not really sure if this is the way to go!!!

This is turning into a real franken-motor!

OK so i've been in touch with EBS in the states again....

They recommend to junk the 97mm P&C's as they are not suitable for reboring.

They've offered me a secondhand set of 3.2 barrels that they will rebore, plate and match to pistons!

Half the price of a new set of 98mm nickies or the 98mm Mahle

Thanks very much!!

One issue sorted, next heads!

Now I'm intrigued. Wasn't there a factory kit option for the 3.0L SC that used 97mm Ps&Cs to create a 3.1L (also an over square design) SC variant with 210 bhp. I haven't read back through all the thread but I assume you've checked the COA to see what your car's original build was and whether or not the numbers match? If you did have a factory 3.1L - that would be well worth keeping and I dom't see why the Ps&Cs couldn't be refurbished unless they are obviously damaged.

5 hours ago, jehatwhitland said:

Now I'm intrigued. Wasn't there a factory kit option for the 3.0L SC that used 97mm Ps&Cs to create a 3.1L (also an over square design) SC variant with 210 bhp. I haven't read back through all the thread but I assume you've checked the COA to see what your car's original build was and whether or not the numbers match? If you did have a factory 3.1L - that would be well worth keeping and I dom't see why the Ps&Cs couldn't be refurbished unless they are obviously damaged.

Wow, holy ****.........hahaha

Now i started reading your comment with a bit of yeah yeah yeah......

Then i read it again......

Brain ticked slowly......It's been a long day

Then i read this interesting article,

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/180/articles/point-one#.XA_xlC2ZORs

Then i went downstairs and found this !!!

Block stamped as a 3.1 , uprated Bosch fuel distributer and a quick check of the original documents has it as 154KW @ 5800 and 3083cc but still calls it a 911 3.0!!

Now that kind of changes the landscape!!

Thanks jehatwhitland , you've made my day!!

Only problem now is it would seem my hot-rod project is somewhat misguided and it'll now have to be a restoration!!

IMG_20181211_184205240.jpg

IMG_20181211_183652577.jpg

52 minutes ago, Gezzer said:

Wow, holy ****.........hahaha

Now i started reading your comment with a bit of yeah yeah yeah......

Then i read it again......

Brain ticked slowly......It's been a long day

Then i read this interesting article,

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/180/articles/point-one#.XA_xlC2ZORs

Then i went downstairs and found this !!!

Block stamped as a 3.1 , uprated Bosch fuel distributer and a quick check of the original documents has it as 154KW @ 5800 and 3083cc but still calls it a 911 3.0!!

Now that kind of changes the landscape!!

Thanks jehatwhitland , you've made my day!!

Only problem now is it would seem my hot-rod project is somewhat misguided and it'll now have to be a restoration!!

IMG_20181211_184205240.jpg

IMG_20181211_183652577.jpg

Glad to be of service - I may have finally got something right! 😉

That then becomes a seriously rare car and, as you say, definitely worth restoring. The only mods I would make would be minor and reversible - but that doesn't stop you fitting SSIs (assuming the 3.0L aren't too restrictive) and a decent muffler for another 10-15 bhp and other reversible upgrades. Just make sure you keep the original parts. Now why wasn't that my SC .... ???

PS If the original owner ordered the engine upgrade, did they also option the LSD? You should definitely get the COA, but, although it can take a bit of time, Porsche themselves are also quite good at checking their records and answering questions.

You might also find the following link interesting, if only to save the pictures for reference for your restoration - https://www.championmotorsinternational.com/1980-porsche-911 sc-l 3.1 prototype-c-3.htm Someone also has a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pg/Porsche-911-SC-31-716776558391566/posts/

On 12/11/2018 at 1:34 PM, jehatwhitland said:

Hi again,

So i've been in contact with Porsche Belgium who confirm that the car and engine are matching!!

It was delivered from the final assembly line as a 3.0 and the 3.1 kit was fitted in post delivery. Sadly there are no records and the dealer in Koblenz is out of business.

P's and C's have been measured and are in spec so its looking good, I've been told the rings are the same as the 3.3 turbo so i'm going to order 1 set to check.

Now i need to hunt down a good engineering shop to return the heads and bottom end. There was a nut missing of the oil pump and some dubious damage to the Intermediate drive gear.

found some good gen on my hunt !!

Porsche_3_11545155206.thumb.jpg.512121dad57e7d67899e3aa9acd8be4d.jpgIMG1545155521.thumb.jpg.72f8cca6f3bab8ce3abbe0cacf906d1d.jpg

This from Porsche stuttgart classic dept

hi i found this:

we spook to an old master craftsmann who is retired now.

He told us that the following modifications were done on these engines:

-12 upper studs for cylinders changed against Dilavar-studs
- cylinders and pistons changed from 95mm to 97mm (serial from 3,3 Turbo 930 103 973 00)
- baffle plates from Turbo
- compression ratio 9,8:1 with cylinder gasket 0,25
9,6:1 with cylinder gasket 0,5
- camshaft adjustment 0,9-1,1
- spark plugs changed from platin 260 to 265
- distributor with vacuum controlled advance (Bosch 0237306001)
- fuel distributor changed to 10% higher ratio
- clutch plate from 2,7l
- van housing with impeller,pulley from 3,3l Turbo

mit freundlichen Grüßen

Marc Noack
Teileverkauf
Kundenzentrum-Classic