Orientation of vented discs

Ian Comerford

I thought I would throw this one out there for comment but also info. A couple of weeks ago my brother in law asked me to help him changed his discs around as Hartech noted they were on the wrong way whilst doing his (997) engine rebuild.  He couldn’t recall which end was on the wrong way but I felt the ones where the holes radiated outwards and forward were wrong.  Google agreed.  I think the vents work by creating a depression as they rotate, thus drawing air in through the holes.  Could be wrong but it seems logical.  

The reason for posting is that since then I have seen several cars (not just Porsche) which has either the front or rear discs on the wrong way, or they operate with a different concept?  Check before you change yours.

Ian

Vents that are drilled clockwise, ie; centre of disc holes flow to the right are left hand discs, discs with holes anticlockwise, ie; centre of disc holes flow to the left are rand hand discs.

There you go, just made that so much more complicated havent i?

The above picture looks right, or how I fit them.

TBH all directional factory discs I fit are marked with rotational arrow. However I recall fitting a set of Black Diamond disk to a car of mine years ago which came with a leaflet which basically the grooves pointed as above (as I recall) for over 200BHP and the opposite way for below 200BHP