Impact Bumpers
Busybee

Track day virgin - Questions

Thanks Oliver and Doc. My little Boxster is going to spend 99% of the time on the road. Perhaps one or two track days a year. Don’t really have any probs with old setup on the road. The CL pads must be awesome (they should be for that money) but would probably be wasted on me and my usual drives. Just spirited road driving in the vast majority.

Thanks Paul. That’s reassuring. I’ll give the textar pads a try as I have them and see how I go. 

5 hours ago, Busybee said:

The CL pads must be awesome (they should be for that money) but would probably be wasted on me and my usual drives. Just spirited road driving in the vast majority.

The CL RC5+ pads have served me really well and are used throughout the year for daily driver and track day duties.  Unless the price has rocketed in the last few months I never saw them as being expensive in the context of similar track focused pads.

Understand your point about having enough brake pad for a couple of trackdays a year and so a standard road pad should be OK.  That said and as suggested in a previous post I would strongly recommend you opt for 996 GT3 brake scoops for the underside of your car.  They're less than £30/pair easy to fit and bring a significant amount of cooling airflow to the brakes on track days.

52 minutes ago, map said:

The CL RC5+ pads have served me really well and are used throughout the year for daily driver and track day duties.  Unless the price has rocketed in the last few months I never saw them as being expensive in the context of similar track focused pads.

Understand your point about having enough brake pad for a couple of trackdays a year and so a standard road pad should be OK.  That said and as suggested in a previous post I would strongly recommend you opt for 996 GT3 brake scoops for the underside of your car.  They're less than £30/pair easy to fit and bring a significant amount of cooling airflow to the brakes on track days.

The RC6 pads for my 987 are about £180 per end. Thats a trade price. They can't seem to find a RC5+ for a 987. Brake ducts sound like a bargain.

Just picked up my Boxster after having the discs and pads changed. Had the brake fluid changed too. Night and day difference. Pedal feel is much improved as is pedal travel. Altogether a huge improvement.

The CL pads must be truly amazing because these textar pads feel pretty damn good to me. 

Can someone remind me of the correct orientation of the discs so I can double check they’ve been fitted the right way round? I remember a thread on here but can’t find it. 

Remember the brake stopping power (and brake consistency) you need for lap after lap of a trackday are a lot more than you need for fast road driving. 

Edited by GaryH

34 minutes ago, GaryH said:

Remember the brake stopping power (and brake consistency) you need for lap after lap of a trackday are a lot more than you need for fast road driving. 

^^^ This. You can take brakes you'll never feel fade with even on the most bendy of b roads and within 5 stops on the track you have a long pedal. 

Having said that, fresh discs, fluid and pads is a great starting point. 

Unfortunately, prior to the new discs, pads and fluid, I was getting that long pedal feeling on the road. Also read as knackered! Lol Now amazingly precise pedal feel and can really feel the brakes biting.

Next up, wheel refurb and new tyres. Pilot sports? Pirelli p rosso? 

Given my experience on the 997 I would be tempted to say Pilot Sports over P Zero, although I did overheat the michies at Spa!

Based on personal experience and feedback from other people my preference is for Pilot Sports and a decent tyre pressure gauge.

Edited by map

I would look to either the Pilot Super Sport, or the Continental Extreme Sport if you want one of the popular manufacturer names.  I’ve driven M4’s on the Pilot Super Sport and they perform really well on instruction days, where they are getting a fair workout lap after lap.  The Extreme Sport I have less experience of, but Continental set out to compete in the MPSS playground and it apparently does it very well.

7 hours ago, map said:

Based on personal experience and feedback from other people my preference is for Pilot Sports and a decent tyre pressure gauge.

Should clarify - other people's feedback is specifically Boxster drivers.

If you're running 19" wheels you might be able to get Pilot Sport 4 S which is the very latest version of the MPS series.

18 inch rims so looks like PS2’s, Contisportcontact 3’s or Bridgestone RE O50A from Camskill

Looks like you are only looking at N-rated options.  You can get Pilot Supersports in 18s and they are ace.  Good enough for 450+hp on the track so will be great for 987.

Having said that, I have just put Kumho's PSS copy - the PS91 - on my 987 on 18s for half the cost of Michies and close to the same performance level.

BTW, I am also using the recommended RC5s on the 987, great pad, though a little noisy with new discs.

Conties won the day for me. Going on tomorrow funnily enough. I’m having the wheels refurbed at the same time so new shiny shoes and pedicured feet lol. I’ve been enjoying the textar pads and new sebro discs though. A step up on what was there on the car when I bought it. Way more braking and a lot less dust. 

13 hours ago, Richard Bernau said:

BTW, I am also using the recommended RC5s on the 987, great pad, though a little noisy with new discs.

If you come to replace them and you haven’t tried him already, speak with Paul Chance at CL Brakes.  He is the UK distributor and is very helpful and good on price.

I spoke with Paul at CL brakes about the CL pads. 987 pads we’re around £360 for both ends. Also the fast road pads, C5 think they are called, are not available for a 987 so it was going to be a case of the race pads, C3’s?