Triumph ITB conversion

I found that the push rod from the gearbox linkage to the engine throttle plate was too short, by about 5mm, and not allowing the extra push needed for WOT. 

I got a threaded rod joiner and welded it to the socket giving me the extra length needed. Not fully tested yet but looks like it will be enough, fingers crossed.

IMG_20190129_101733.thumb.jpg.c5aa88b1ea20ef7612c79b5c22c35fe9.jpg

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did some more balancing yesterday and now the TBs are within 0.02 bar of eachother and it ticks over beautifully if a little fast. I can adjust that as the tuning happens.

Hopefully on Thursday I shall find out if my ICV issue is solved with Shaun's diode fix.

Moving forward :)

The news is good. Another session with Shaun this morning. ICV working as it should. AFR where it should be. Idle lovely. 

Shaun says it's as good as it can be at this stage. Next step is a visit from Shaun for mapping. Weather dependent this should be around the middle of Feb. A few little things to do in the meantime.

Some of Ben's excitement is rubbing off on me now :D

I think hoping rather than expecting. But, that's not why I've done it. I simply wanted rid of the CIS because I don't like it, it's dirty, complicated, difficult to diagnose, inefficient, looks horrible and it's expensive to replace parts if they go wrong. People may well disagree but that's my justification to myself ;)

Just read this whole build thread and the preceding one in one evening Phill, great effort figuring out this puzzle and in the process proving that a EFI conversion can be done at a reasonable not quite as outrageous cost!

Will keep an eye to see how this develops.

Cheers,
Lukas

Thanks Lukas.

On the subject of costs I sat down and worked it out this morning :blink: needless to say it has come out more expensive than I thought it would. So in no particular order.......

1. ECU plus later upgrade     530
  2. Manifolds                            373
  3. Lambda sensor                     80
  4. CHT sensor                            20
  5. Lambda boss and welding  35
  6. Throttle bodies                    145
  7. Injector cleaning                 108
  8. Air temp sensor                    18
  9. Trumpets                             155
  10. Tach converter                      30
  11. Catch tank + fittings             23
  12. Crank shaft pulley                 30
  13. Plug leads/ends etc              72
  14. Coil pack                                 85
  15. Lambda controller               165
  16. FPR                                           89
  17. ICV                                            27
  18. Knock sensor                          15
  19. Trigger wheel                          24
  20. Air plenum                               12
  21. Software                                  15
  22. Dizzy plug                                 4
  23. Linkages                                  40 (including all rods and ball joints)
  24. Wiring                                     100 (including all wire, sleeving, plug connectors, busbars, fuses etc)
  25. Fuel                                         118 (including all hose, banjos, brass fittings, clamps etc)
  26. Hardware                                 30 (including aluminium plate, nuts and bolts, paint etc)
  27. Air hose                                   15
  28. Air filters                                  20
  29. Sundries                                  50

Total                                           £2448

I don't think I've missed anything. On top of this there is tuning which is not yet complete.

Weights to follow.

Edited by Phill

Being fed up with being fumigated by the catch tank vent i decide to put the vent through the inner wing.

Hole drilled.

IMG_20190206_130830.thumb.jpg.ab14cb4cf94784144941af43c198b38a.jpg

Pipework added.

IMG_20190206_144336.thumb.jpg.081b5525338341aed5c7c9b18e7cc365.jpg

Filter outside to stop any unwanted ingress.

IMG_20190206_144307.thumb.jpg.469c65ef2cc19b00fcf22e14b3cdb276.jpg

Weights.

The overall weight loss is a little disappointing. Then old system including all of the CIS, dizzy and CDI came in at 18kg. The new installation including the ECU, mount, associated wiring (there is a lot of that!) and everything else comes to about 14.5kg. I forgot to weigh the fuel hose which his quite heavy so I guestimated that. So only a 3.5kg saving but better than nothing :)

4 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Looks great Phil. Reckon you need bigger air filters for best breathing. Those look a little squat. 

The filters allow the same volume of air through as the equivalent original panel filter but you are right. I can double the height of them easily enough. I will see how these perform and then decide from there.

1 minute ago, MaxDiesel said:

Looks great  :signs85: - you must be very pleased with how its turned out (I think you need to paint your fan though so it's as shiny as everything else!).

Thank you, I am. There are things to do further down the line to make it all a bit more tidy. Fan refurb is now at the top of the list of next jobs.

27 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Nice tidy job.

what have you used for an engine bay pad?

I have 2mm Peace Mat on the inside over the parcel shelf and behind the rear seats (kept the original thick sound proofing pad as well) and 10mm fibreglass foamy stuff in the engine bay. Not sure it will make any difference but we will see.

23 minutes ago, BenC said:

It looks bloody amazing!!!

Think venting through the inner wing is a neat solution as well. Considering all that you have done I don't think that is too expensive really.

Great work mate :)

Thank you :blush: certainly better than it was in the engine bay. Will wait and see if it leaves much oily residue inside the wing. About a £1000 more than I anticipated but that is the way with all these projects isn't it.....

Good news!! Shaun has just come back to me. Booked in for the 19th. Can't wait, very excited :yahoo:

37 minutes ago, BenC said:

Have you managed to give it a proper drive yet or are you waiting for the final tuning?

No, it starts and idles nicely but won't rev. The map needs to be built up from scratch before I can risk driving it. Roll on the 19th.

On 2/6/2019 at 4:04 PM, Phill said:

Being fed up with being fumigated by the catch tank vent i decide to put the vent through the inner wing.

Hole drilled.

IMG_20190206_130830.thumb.jpg.ab14cb4cf94784144941af43c198b38a.jpg

Pipework added.

IMG_20190206_144336.thumb.jpg.081b5525338341aed5c7c9b18e7cc365.jpg

Filter outside to stop any unwanted ingress.

IMG_20190206_144307.thumb.jpg.469c65ef2cc19b00fcf22e14b3cdb276.jpg

Are you sure this is the best place to vent an oil breather - above the brakes & tyres?

These small conical filters don’t respond well to oily fumes and possibly less to the road spray inside the wheel well.

I ran a blue ASH on the top of my tank for 12 months when removed it was difficult to blow air through.

The only true push on breather filter I could find was the Piper X. These seem to be filled with metallic foil.

22 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

Are you sure this is the best place to vent an oil breather - above the brakes & tyres?

These small conical filters don’t respond well to oily fumes and possibly less to the road spray inside the wheel well.

I ran a blue ASH on the top of my tank for 12 months when removed it was difficult to blow air through.

The only true push on breather filter I could find was the Piper X. These seem to be filled with metallic foil.

Good point. I have arch liners to go on which should help. I may get some kind of charcoal filter instead so i can claim to be environmentally friendly but it will do for now. It's a five minute job to change, i'll keep an eye on it. I'll look at the Piper one too. However, I am convinced no actual oil will come out of it. Time will tell.