Jump to content
Impact Bumpers
Sign in to follow this  
MaxDiesel

New mid engined aircooled project...

Recommended Posts

Haven't been around for a while as I've run out of interesting projects to do on my 911.... so last Friday, 6 weeks after a late night US eBay purchase I've taken delivery of the following:

IMG_1707.thumb.JPG.41a32a014ccb5fe34dedf53f7ec3d299.JPG

It was a bit of a leap of faith to buy on photos alone - so a big relief when it arrived!

It's a '73 914 1.7- it's only done 40,000 miles from new. The last owner got it for his 20th Birthday in Aug 1974, drove it until the early 80s and then stored it ever since:

5aae8354892d1_IMG_1710_LI(2).thumb.jpg.e11823b8174cdc2734e27dd49627c2fd.jpgIMG_1708_LI.thumb.jpg.8756892242245f20b992ba9905fb291b.jpg

P1030426.thumb.JPG.d9f79cc95545c9029eb572b4ec7d8f3a.JPG

The interior is nice and original - dash top has the usual cracks...

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.2a62536897107078857cd698933f4832.JPGIMG_1687.thumb.JPG.61894b6ff0026df9aee022759de53277.JPG

Engine is original too - still has the fuel injection system:IMG_1688.thumb.JPG.c1635d2656fb212bd17bacac828b8b31.JPG

Its going to be a little while before I can get started on it as I need to build another garage to put it in... so for now its in one of these and its way too cold to do any work in there today!

IMG_1784.thumb.JPG.5ace821a048346ad054e8c7a40b3a1e2.JPG

I'm planning to do a full restoration on it - there's some small bits of rust that need sorting, but if I can get it through an MOT without too much work I'll use it this summer as is.

 

Edited by MaxDiesel
correction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look forward to hearing more about it - looks lovely 👍

Edited by Northy
I misread your post!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Is that the front or the ba...? (oh sorry) it' s very nice ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice.  I have one squirrelled away as well.  Not made much progress but I'm going Tesla powered as if I don't have enough to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what's going in it, 3.5 twin plug?:ninja:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that looks fun Max!

where did you get the tent garage thing?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, Northy said:

Look forward to hearing more about it - looks lovely 👍

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

Nice.  I have one squirrelled away as well.  Not made much progress but I'm going Tesla powered as if I don't have enough to do.

Interesting - I came across an electric 914 when I was looking for this one.... front and back boots both full of a batteries 

1 hour ago, Beaky said:

So what's going in it, 3.5 twin plug?:ninja:

 Plan is to keep it completely  stock.... but that's what I said about my 3.2..... 3.4  ;)

46 minutes ago, BenC said:

that looks fun Max!

where did you get the tent garage thing?

 

Its a Clarke instant garage from Machine Mart - they've got them on special offer at the moment. Bit of a fiddle to put together but surprisingly sturdy. Should be selling mine in ~3 months time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MaxDiesel said:

Its a Clarke instant garage from Machine Mart - they've got them on special offer at the moment. Bit of a fiddle to put together but surprisingly sturdy. Should be selling mine in ~3 months time.

thanks - I've got a pop up tent as a temp solution at the moment but if that proves to be rubbish I'll give you a call!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MaxDiesel said:

Interesting - I came across an electric 914 when I was looking for this one.... front and back boots both full of a batteries 

Yeah, they are quite common for EV conversions.   Mine was original converted to electric 10 years ago but the technology has moved so quickly that I'm redoing it all.  By using the Tesla drive unit, I don't need a gearbox -. It's essentially an inverter, motor and diff all in one unit and will fit inline and slightly behind the driveshafts.  That will leave the whole engine bay for batteries so hopefully no boot space taken up at all.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you going to fit a flat six in it? Deep American wheels at the back and fuchs for the front. Proper bucket seats and roll on my friend! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great choice. I have a 72,  also totally original save an early 911 master cylinder that I installed. Is yours a side shifting 901? Reputedly much better than the tail shifter. 

Progress is stately but it’s a great car to drive in the summer & gets far more attention than my 930. Fuel vaporisation is a problem in heavy traffic so conversion to a front mounted pump is on my list. 

Cheers 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 21/03/2018 at 1:51 PM, Fred said:

Are you going to fit a flat six in it? Deep American wheels at the back and fuchs for the front. Proper bucket seats and roll on my friend! 

Tempting.... but given the history and low mileage I'm going to have to restrain myself on this one...  

On 21/03/2018 at 6:06 PM, flatsix777 said:

Great choice. I have a 72,  also totally original save an early 911 master cylinder that I installed. Is yours a side shifting 901? Reputedly much better than the tail shifter. 

Progress is stately but it’s a great car to drive in the summer & gets far more attention than my 930. Fuel vaporisation is a problem in heavy traffic so conversion to a front mounted pump is on my list. 

Cheers 

David

Yes - side shifter and last of the chrome bumper versions.

My teenage boys already think its a lot 'cooler' than my 911....  they're now are asking when they'll be insured on it :o

I'm looking to order the Euro indicator lenses and UK headlights soon. I've found sources for the indicator lenses, but I'm struggling to work out the part number for the correct Hella headlight insert - any chance you know the part number for the headlight units on yours ?

Cheers

Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice purchase, looks fairly tidy!

17 minutes ago, MaxDiesel said:

Tempting.... but given the history and low mileage I'm going to have to restrain myself on this one...  

All the more reason to remove the original engine and store it for the next owner and fit something a bit more tasty! Go-on you know you want to ;)

Edited by jevvy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very very nice, those seats look great :ani_clapping:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MaxDiesel said:

 

I'm looking to order the Euro indicator lenses and UK headlights soon. I've found sources for the indicator lenses, but I'm struggling to work out the part number for the correct Hella headlight insert - any chance you know the part number for the headlight units on yours

 

Hi Matt, 

My headlights are Hella sealed beam units fitted by the PO, but I don’t know the part number. Let me know if you are stuck and I can have a look. 

I too fitted Euro indicator/side light lenses at the front and used a couple of bulb holders with a little modification to the reflector - easy and effective. For the rear I have kept the US lenses but use green bulbs -  it works well. 

I run original steels like yours, but have 195’s on the back and, from memory, 155’s on the front as I had a clearance problem with the bigger tyres. 

I run an oil pressure relief valve from Tangerine Racing to lift pressure at idle when really hot, which is a bit of an issue with Type 4 motors. I’ve had to replace the ignition barrel but otherwise I have left alone . 

Cheers

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 5:14 PM, flatsix777 said:

Hi Matt, 

My headlights are Hella sealed beam units fitted by the PO, but I don’t know the part number. Let me know if you are stuck and I can have a look. 

I too fitted Euro indicator/side light lenses at the front and used a couple of bulb holders with a little modification to the reflector - easy and effective. For the rear I have kept the US lenses but use green bulbs -  it works well. 

I run original steels like yours, but have 195’s on the back and, from memory, 155’s on the front as I had a clearance problem with the bigger tyres. 

I run an oil pressure relief valve from Tangerine Racing to lift pressure at idle when really hot, which is a bit of an issue with Type 4 motors. I’ve had to replace the ignition barrel but otherwise I have left alone . 

Cheers

David

Thanks David - I think I've sussed out the headlights now. I've found a specialist in Germany (www.914er-teile.dewho sells the front Hella Euro indicator lenses complete with an additional holder/reflector.

I like the sound of green bulbs and retaining the US spec red lenses - I'd never heard that before - I've found some green bulbs on eBay to give a go. The original lenses are in perfect condition so I'm in no hurry to replace them.

I'm going to do a compression check on the engine today - it'll be interesting to see what I get from a 45 year old engine that's only done 40k miles...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Max

I've also got a 1973 1.7 which is pretty close to bog standard except for the seats. I think it's my 10th 914 and only a year younger than my first which was back in 1974. Have acquired a reasonably thorough knowledge over the years so if there is anything I can help you with please drop me a note. I'd be delighted to help in any way I can.  The 914 is a great exercise in the "conservation of momentum" ........ getting it moving and don't slow down for anything - the road holding is so good that you don't need to :-)

Pics were taken late last year just before the winter got underway.  

Very best of luck.

john c

DSC_0014.JPG

2017-07-30 02.57.59.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 11:17 PM, David Gander said:

Probably in rude good health Max, fingers crossed for you......!

regards,

David

Compression check done - not quite what was hoping for.... Cylinders 1, 3 and 4 were all between 135 and 155 psi, so all in spec. Cylinder 2 was zero :o This seemed odd as the spark plug is the same colour as the others.

I had closer look down the plug hole and could see the inlet valve was remaining ~2mm open when it should be closed. Also had a quick look with a borescope and no marks on the piston head - so its not been hitting, the bores are in surprisingly good condition.

I ran some oil down onto the back of the valve head with the hope it would get to the stem. Ran the engine to warm and then did another compression check - this time I got ~30psi on cylinder 2. Then ran the engine briefly with the compression gauge on no 2 - this time I got 135psi...

Looks like I've got a sticky inlet valve - maybe dried fuel gunge on the stem from sitting for best part of 30 years? I don't really want to tear the engine apart - so I'm hoping it will free of with some proper use. Planning to check the tappets this weekend - any other suggestions welcome!

Tried the green indicator bulbs in the US rear lenses - they definitely come through more amber than red, maybe a little dim - but hopefully fine for the MOT. Thanks for tip.

23 hours ago, buchanan3L2 said:

Hi Max

I've also got a 1973 1.7 which is pretty close to bog standard except for the seats. I think it's my 10th 914 and only a year younger than my first which was back in 1974. Have acquired a reasonably thorough knowledge over the years so if there is anything I can help you with please drop me a note. I'd be delighted to help in any way I can.  The 914 is a great exercise in the "conservation of momentum" ........ getting it moving and don't slow down for anything - the road holding is so good that you don't need to :-)

Pics were taken late last year just before the winter got underway.  

Very best of luck.

john c

Hi John - that's a stunning car - I'm hoping I can get mine looking as tidy as yours one day. Thanks for the offer help....

So some more questions for the 914 owners:

- Front side marker lights - I was expecting these to be indicator side repeaters, however they come on with the side lights on mine - is this right ? Do I need to re-wire these as indicators for the MOT ?

- In the rear lights assemblies there's a small bulb in the very outside corner, any ideas what this is ?

- Any tips on adjusting the handbrake - my handbrake lever comes all the way up but does nothing... I've checked the cables - all good and they are moving the levers on the rear calipers a bit, is the adjustment all on the cable ?

- I've got some kind of buzzer in the dash that goes off when the ignition is on but engine not running - sounds awful, is this original ?

Cheers 

Matt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The buzzer is original.  Combination of keys in ignition and door open and maybe seat belts as well plus butt detector on passenger seat.   There's the World's biggest relay under the pax seat to control it all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MaxDiesel said:

- Front side marker lights - I was expecting these to be indicator side repeaters, however they come on with the side lights on mine - is this right ? Do I need to re-wire these as indicators for the MOT ?

- In the rear lights assemblies there's a small bulb in the very outside corner, any ideas what this is ?

 

Easy answers first:

Those side marker lights are US spec markers and come on as you say with the side lights ....... I've rewired mine to be indicator repeaters. Easy enough job but it does cause the indicators to flask slightly more quickly.  If you used a very low powered LED bulb in the repeater that would probably be better.  My understanding is that the change in not necessary for MOT and tester will just take note of an amber light showing continuously to the side of the vehicle which is not illegal.

The wee bulb at the rear is again the US spec rear marker light and is on when the side lights are on.  IF you have US spec lenses the indicator section is red and when you indicate at night the wee bulb stays alight (and shows red) and the indicator is also red.  This is I believe not legal in the UK and indicators are supposed to be amber.  Simplest solution is to remove the wee bulb and the plastic diffuser between the two bulbs and change to Euro lenses.  Rear Euro lenses are expensive (near £300 for the pair from Mittelmotor in Germany)  However, another solution some UK owners with US spec 914s have discovered is to change the indicator bulb to a green one (and remove the wee bulb and the plastic lens/diffuser between it and the indicator bulb). Apparently, a green bulb shows amber through a red lens.  (I've no personal experience, so can't confirm)

58 minutes ago, MaxDiesel said:

- Any tips on adjusting the handbrake - my handbrake lever comes all the way up but does nothing... I've checked the cables - all good and they are moving the levers on the rear calipers a bit, is the adjustment all on the cable ?

No, there is adjustment in the calliper as well and they have to be properly set up and adjusted.  I strongly recommend you get a copy of either the works Workshop Manual or the Haynes Manual which details the procedure.  There is also adjustment on the cables beside the seat.

 

1 hour ago, MaxDiesel said:

- I've got some kind of buzzer in the dash that goes off when the ignition is on but engine not running - sounds awful, is this original ?

Yes, I have it as well ...... it's annoying, but it does remind you the ignition is on!  Again I suggest you get a manual with a US spec wiring diagram and you can trace it back and disconnect if you wish.  I obtained a coloured wiring diagram from a garage in the states which is much easier to read than those in the workshop manuals.  I'll post up a link when I can find it.  Hope this helps ..... the adventure has just started.!!!!!

BTW Have you made contact with Kevin Clark (PCGB 914 register secretary) - He is an absolute walking encyclopaedia on everything 914.   Suggest you do.   Also have a look at the 914 UK facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/457980697677634/

and the BEST worldwide on line information is "914 World"  There is a huge list of topics on there, mostly US but also very international as well

Good Luck

john c   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mat, 

I have also left the amber side marker lamps at the front working & my MoT man was happy. Same with the green bulbs - as you have found it’s amber but didn’t even raise a comment. I simply discarded the small rear side repeater bulbs. 

I found the buzzer really irritating so just disconnected but left all in place as original.

As John says, with the handbrake, adjust at the rear calipers. They are an unusual design where you have to actually adjust pad clearance. It all seizes up giving excessive travel and a poor handbrake. I got new pistons and seals and rebuilt all of them with, as I said, a 911 master cylinder mod. Bleeding was a mission to get an acceptable pedal. I think you’ll need to do the same with so little recent use. 

Doing the valve clearance is quite a fiddle as space is tight but not difficult. It might be a sticking valve (most likely) but I wonder if it could also be a gummed up rocker shaft. I read lots about issues with the rockers caused by marginal lubrication etc. Might be worth pulling the shafts and fettling. 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×