Jump to content
Impact Bumpers

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, 

I've had a search and can't really find any info on here. 

Have any of you got any experience with the Yoko Ad08r tyre for fast road/light track? 

It seems they are being made obsolete now by a new Yoko track tyre, so prices are pretty affordable. Can get a set for £460 from Demon Tweeks. 

Thinking of a set of 225 50 16 sat on my 16x8/9 wheels.. 

It's either that or I put for so Toyo T1R and just accept that on track they'll go off pretty quickly, but probably be better on the road. 

Any experiences on the Yokos welcome 

Cheers, Paul 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do the Conti's hold out on track? 

I'm not so much fussed about the Toyo t1R taking abuse and wearing quickly because they're so cheap :)

Conti's work out around the same as the Yoko track tyres

Edited by Sidewaysfun
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:42 PM, Sidewaysfun said:

I didn't realise they did r1r in 225 50 16... well that opens up the game a little :D

Hi.  At risk of resurrecting a long-gone thread (apologies if not appreciated), I am looking ahead to similar-sounding use and so wondering what you went for in the end, and how have you found them?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dyaque, I ended up going for Toyo T1R in the end. 245/45 on rear and 225/50 up front.

Been using the car purely for road use this year and have been very pleased with them. 

I couldn't warrant the extra £££ for the Conti's and personally don't buy into the Porsche N rated tyres. My car hasn't slid off into a bus stop full of nuns just yet 😁

Paul 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still interested in any opinions on the AD08R - @Sidewaysfun do you know what they were replacing them with?

For fast road/track use I found going back to the original sizes (205/225) allowed more fun on track and a more liveable car on the road. I like to feel the car move about underneath me a bit. A 245 section seems overkill for a car with ±250bhp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think I was getting my wires crossed. I was looking at the A052 which replaced the A048R. Think the AD08R is still available. 

You're probably right about the 245 being overkill Reddevil, however, I'm running widebody so would imagine 205/225 wouldn't look right? 🤷‍♂️ It may work, I'd need to look at differences, whereas it may be OK on a narrowbody. 

Aim for first track days in the 911 next year, so will see how I get on with the t1R. Should be slippy enough for me to start with. As I upgrade chassis I will start to look at better tyres, potentially the AD08R 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sidewaysfun said:

I actually think I was getting my wires crossed. I was looking at the A052 which replaced the A048R. Think the AD08R is still available. 

You're probably right about the 245 being overkill Reddevil, however, I'm running widebody so would imagine 205/225 wouldn't look right? 🤷‍♂️ It may work, I'd need to look at differences, whereas it may be OK on a narrowbody. 

Aim for first track days in the 911 next year, so will see how I get on with the t1R. Should be slippy enough for me to start with. As I upgrade chassis I will start to look at better tyres, potentially the AD08R 👍

I was running 205/50 and 225/50 on 16x8/9 on widebody - they look fine unless you are directly behind and very low when you can see they are a little narrow.  I last used Bridgestone RE002s which are very cheap and offer a stiffer sidewall than the Toyos and a bigger outer tread block that holds up better to heat than most.  Used on track once and they are no R compound, but not too bad.  They are not sticky, but are OK.  I would prefer to T1Rs - very soft sidewall - and probably come out around SO2s, being better in the dry and slightly worse in the wet.

IMG_1021.thumb.JPG.d530189d8055f53956d3bc2da688ab38.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info to know Richard, cheers 👍 it'll certainly open up choices when I've gone through the Toyos 👌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2018 at 7:53 AM, Sidewaysfun said:

Hi Dyaque, I ended up going for Toyo T1R in the end. 245/45 on rear and 225/50 up front.

Been using the car purely for road use this year and have been very pleased with them. 

I couldn't warrant the extra £££ for the Conti's and personally don't buy into the Porsche N rated tyres. My car hasn't slid off into a bus stop full of nuns just yet 😁

Paul 

Thanks, Paul. Looking at replacements (on a possible 1st IB car purchase) now and T1Rs are the specialist's recommendation. Sounds from your report like they'll be perfect! Cheers for the report, and hope you keep on enjoying them. 

Jack

Edited by Dyaque

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run 205/225 Toyo R1R for wet and dry track use on a spare set of wheels , can’t fault them and prefer them to 888’s , I also have a set of Bridgestone S02’s on for daily use , have tried them on track but they’re not a patch on the Toyo’s , in fact I prefer the R1R over anything else I have had on the car , when the S02’s are old or worn I’m sticking another set of the R1R’s on ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dyaque said:

Thanks, Paul. Looking at replacements (on a possible 1st IB car purchase) now and T1Rs are the specialist's recommendation. Sounds from your report like they'll be perfect! Cheers for the report, and hope you keep on enjoying them. 

Jack

What size wheel are you running? There is a hell of a lot better choice in tyres by going down a size as suggested by Richard.

Longmans suggestion of the r1r is a very good one for a balance between road and track :)

Lots of choices I know. When I can afford it, I'll likely run 2 sets of wheels. One with some sticky road tyres and another with some sticky track tyres :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WP0ZZZ said:

This looks like the Sommos winery!

It certainly is! 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sidewaysfun said:

What size wheel are you running? There is a hell of a lot better choice in tyres by going down a size as suggested by Richard.

Longmans suggestion of the r1r is a very good one for a balance between road and track :)

Lots of choices I know. When I can afford it, I'll likely run 2 sets of wheels. One with some sticky road tyres and another with some sticky track tyres :D

16" x 6 and 7s, currently on 205/55 and 225/50.

But, like I say, this is a first IB purchase so I'm really just looking for a sensible starter option for both road and track use, as a basis from which to build experience. I'd like to get to know the basics of the car before changing them too much.

And yes, 2 sets of wheels are on the wishlist, but it's going to be some time before the budget allows that to come to fruition...

Again, reigning my excitement back again to take it slow and sensible. 😇

Well, slow with the purchases at least..! 😈

Cheers!

Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×