Wheel arch liners

GimmeShelter

Right, here goes (what have I let myself in for?):

I'm planning on getting some more sets of wheel arch liners cut.  The plan is to use the same people who made the last set (not SVP), but with a couple of slight differences:

- Narrow-body: having struggled/faffed with the previous, narrow-body wheel arch sets, I have made some minor changes to the shape, to make them fit a little bit more snugly.  In particular, I have changed the angle of the front end of the rear wheel arch liner (where it folds forward to run along the underside of the car for a few inches forward of the rear wheel arch);

- Wide-body: I have made some templates for liners for a wide-body car.  I made them to fit one particular car (a turbo), which they seemed to fit quite nicely, then tested them on a second (wide-body, non-turbo), which revealed that the two are not identical - there were slight 'profile' differences up inside the wheel arches.  Also, they depend on which rear bumper is fitted: I've broadly copied the profile of the back end of the narrow-bodied liners, which means they (give or take) fit a big rear bumper like a 964 but they have to be cut down to fit anything smaller - particularly backdated cars (I checked them on a car with a glass fibre pre-74 bumper and you'd have to cut inches off).

So with those caveats and the usual health warning that there are no guarantees and you may have to cut/drill/curse to make them fit (there will be a disclaimer), I'm now gauging interest regarding how many sets to order.  At present, I already have interest for 5 sets of narrow-body and 7 sets of wide-body wheel arch liners, so I think it's definitely going ahead.  I don't have a price yet (they were about £75 a set last time) and of course it depends on quantity, but a delivery date estimate is the second half of May.

If you're interested, please say whether it's for narrow-body or wide-body.  Thanks

7 hours ago, GimmeShelter said:

Should have said - Alex P and David G, I'm counting you in the 7 wide-body sets above

Absolutely, I have been really slow on this so thank you very much for sorting this. Much appreciated. :signs85:

There are a number of other members with wide body cars who were interested in this thread:

Very appreciative of the effort involved, I had intended to do this myself but time, and other commitments stalled it, so no problem with tweaking and adapting etc. Living up here, there is a huge amount of sh@t put on the roads over winter, and I know to my cost having driven the Turbo over one winter some years ago.....never again! These will help a lot.

Regards,

David.

33 minutes ago, stwannabe said:

My car is nit a wide body but does have st steel rear arches and complete fibreglass st wings on the front, would your liners fit or could they be trimmed to fit? ST flares are narrower than wide body / turbo arches. Thanks 

Yes, they can be trimmed to fit ST arches.  It's a bit of a faff, but it can be done.  I did have a look at a car that's had ST arches fitted, and they didn't look that much narrower than turbo.

15 hours ago, David Gander said:

I’ve put my hand up previously but just to make sure, please put me down for a wide-body set.

David.

Hi, David, yes, you're on the list.

To keep everyone in the picture: now that we have these numbers (13 sets of each type, as it happens), I am chasing the maker for a price.

Price update:

I've just received a price from the maker: it's a manufactured price of £72.18 per narrow-body set.  They don't want to quote a price for the wide-body sets until they see the templates, but obviously it's going to be more, so - who knows - maybe £85 or £90?  Then if we add a bit for postage (from me to you) my guess is that the narrow-body sets will work out at £80 and the wide-body sets at, say, £100.  (As before, any surplus will be donated to charity.)

Since the total purchase price will come to £2k or so, I don't really want to finance this myself, so I hope it's OK if I ask for cash (or bank transfers will be OK) once I've dropped the templates off with the makers and have got an idea of the wide-body price.  I plan to drop the templates off next week (maybe Tuesday, but I have to fit it round other things).