Factory radio in an 89 coupe

w00t911

Hello everyone: New owner of a 89 RoW coupe. Originally made for German market and options include heated seats, limited slip and short shift lever, a/c, rear wipters, good year tires. gears. CoA does not list the type of radio unit and all it states is equipment for Germany. What would be some of the radios offered from the factory for the last two years of the Carrera 3.2. Thank you. 

IMG_6342.JPG

Edited by w00t911

lovely car, although mine isn't a german spec, I was looking only the other day at period correct radios...there's quite a few Bremen SQR 46's on ebay, in fact there was one that didnt work (but was around £100 which I thought was reasonable) to keep the look in the cabin. I have plenty of other jobs before getting onto my stereo. good luck!

Hi,

welcome to IB, beautiful car.

Although not a original fitment, Becker made Radios for Porsche 911 generations 964 thru 996,worth consideration if you require more modern features.

regards Angus

2 hours ago, Wingnonut said:

Breman and Toronto are the same unit for different markets as I understand it. SQR 45 46 and 48 are just different years. 

Thanks for the clarification.

Thank you for all the valuable input. Its very helpful. Unfortunately my CoA does not mention which unit came with the car and I would like to swap out the existing Pioneer to a period correct Blaupunkt. Probably you may not know the answer for this but would a Bremen unit work for a car (would it pick up the AM/FM stations) thats in N America ?? Or should I be looking for a Toronto SQR 46 ?  I am absolutely loving the car. Its not a show car but is a driver thats in great fettle. 

FullSizeRender (7).jpg

Are the differences between SQR 45, 46 & 48 something to do with the amp under the seat, I know the 46 works with the amp, I’m not sure the 45 will though.

i recall when I was looking for an original radio, there’s something other than years.

I had the original Blaupunkt in my 1989 car, but whilst I liked the look, the sound quality wasn’t good and didn’t have much power - even after I replaced all the speakers. I’m no stereo officianado, but I do like a reasonable sound. I’m sure the original was great back in the day, but not so good now. Also, if you have a electronic box under the drivers seat, that would have been the upgraded stereo option, and is the amplifier .

Alternatively, have a look at this - it might suit you better.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/classic-car-stereos/blaupunkt-classic-car-stereo/birmingham-2012/

i bought the above and am very pleased with it. The only thing I don’t like is it has a blue laminated ring around the volume bottle when on ...imho a small price to pay for some half decent sound!

• 3 months later...

I think mine's a Toronto, while it looks just right, combined with the fuse wire in the glass aerial (typical Porsche weight / drag over function) the radio reception is absolute pants unless you are near the transmitter.

I had a play with the Porsche Classic single DIN satnav the other day, that's the business but for the money I'll stick to my Tom Tom when required and listen to the flat six symphony.

3 hours ago, ChesterJLampwick said:

I think mine's a Toronto, while it looks just right, combined with the fuse wire in the glass aerial (typical Porsche weight / drag over function) the radio reception is absolute pants unless you are near the transmitter.

I had a play with the Porsche Classic single DIN satnav the other day, that's the business but for the money I'll stick to my Tom Tom when required and listen to the flat six symphony.

Hi,

A Bremen sqr46 has an ARI button on the front for the German market. (It was a traffic announcement system apparently.)

It’s got the multi plug for the amp connection on the back of it.

I’ve got a very nice one that’s still got warranty on it, as it was reconditioned by Oldtimeradio.de so still has the warranty.

If you’re interested I’ll be selling it in a couple of weeks. 

Regards

Russ