Castle Combe 1st May

MarkJ

Mark, it was a great day when I did it. Be careful however, the instructor giving the briefing told us that "some tracks have gravel traps or vast tarmac run-offs. Here we have wet grass to slow you down and then armco which will definitely stop you" Very reassuring! 

Enjoy. Chris.

Thanks Chris, yes its similar to Cadwell, Goodwood and even parts of Brands hatch in that respect.  The sweeping curves remind me of Goodwood though and it has a couple of fun chicanes so should be a hoot  :)

1 hour ago, SilverWT said:

Tempted to book, but the noise limit is tight at 100. I struggle at Brands when it is 101!

Mark

I think they're pretty strict on noise at Coombe. 

100 on SSI's is wildly optimistic IMO. 

Edited by GaryH

They mention some guys on site who deal with noise problems, but not sure in what way, ie stick in silencers/noise killers or whatever.

I can cap off one pipe and I might lay a thick sound deadening blanket loosely over the top of the engine just for the noise test.  My car measured 101 at Oulton with both pipes open and that's with race headers. Really p*sses me off this noise malarkey at a race track. My friggin motorbike (on stock pipes)  is louder going down a street than my car.:rolleyes:

I've got a Merlin Motorsport bolt-on,  can-type silencer, like this...

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/merlin-mild-steel-racing-muffler-m-ex-muff-4

Never actually used it so don't know how effective it is. Might knock a couple of dB off?

I can bring it to the Bicester Scramble this Sunday if you wanted to try it Mark. 

m_ex_muff_4.jpg

Edited by GaryH

Edit: a trawl through old IB posts reminds me that the guy at Merlin reckoned it would knock a couple of dB off.

IIRC it mates to a 60mm diameter pipe. 

Edited by GaryH

I'm off to Combe on Saturday afternoon for a few laps, but wary I might not get past the 98dB limit. Best to test with engine warm I guess? Bundles of steel wool shoved up the tips? 

When I was there it was a 100db day and the noise tester said "we'll call that a Porsche 100db" and passed me, after he'd also said "Ah here comes a proper car.." Next was Snetterton 105db where it measured 104.9db. Read into that what you will but I'd take some baffles and some advice given to me by Mark (Silver WT) was to depress the clutch and be on the low side of the revs they request if you can get away with it. 

Chris.

yeah It is a 100db day and Merlin Motorsports are the guys based at the track who offer noise solutions.

The day is run by Classic Car trackdays so would hope they are sensible about it.

I was at Combe today and they passed my 3.2 at 99.5dB which they rounded up to 100. I am sure it was 102 at Oulton. Anyway I made sure it was nice and hot with a run on the road first, and kept my foot on the clutch.

Car has no air box and a Turbo Thomas 2-in-2-out with manifold. Otherwise standard.

Beware the new surface if you have been to Combe before!

On 23/04/2018 at 1:17 PM, MarkJ said:

did anyone else sign up? or just me on my tod flying the IB flag?

Sorry Mark, not going to chance it due to noise.

On 18/04/2018 at 4:41 PM, GaryH said:

I can bring it to the Bicester Scramble this Sunday if you wanted to try it Mark. 

Thanks for the offer Gary, but was not going to get to Bicester and it will not fit my large diameter twin outlet.

As compensation, I have booked myself on a Brands GP day, 101dB which I have scraped through before. I will start another thread on it.

Mark

38 minutes ago, SilverWT said:

As compensation, I have booked myself on a Brands GP day, 101dB which I have scraped through before.

Brands are pretty Porsche-friendly (only used to have one noise tester at the back ;)

Just now, GaryH said:

Brands are pretty Porsche-friendly (only used to have one noise tester at the back ;)

that was in the good old days, they are proper tossy about noise there in the last year or so :rolleyes: By chance we had one of their noise testers in the office doing some odd-job work a few weeks ago and I gave him plenty of stick about being a dick over noise and that they need to be a bit more flexible for rear engine cars with short pipes. Hopefully he took it onboard  ;-)

5 hours ago, GaryH said:

I remember they let Teo's blue car through! 

Yes, but on the Indy circuit where the day time noise limit is usually 105dB. The evening Indy noise limit is 102dB.

had a great day, weather gods smiled on me with a perfect sunny day :)  Great mix of elcectic classic cars present and nice people. Got plenty of high speed laps in and managed one spin!  ...just pure over hooning :D

Castle combe is a quick track with a couple of technical corners, one scary balls-out double corner and a couple of chicanes. Think my car was the quickest over a lap on the day and car got lots of compliments, so all good. No issues with noise at all and there were a couple of cars louder than ours on track.

Will stick a vid up when I get around to editing one.