The impossible hunt for a 1975 RHD 3.0 Turbo

macii

Hi guys, 

I was wondering if anyone knows where one could find a 1975 RHD 3.0 Turbo? I am a very serious buyer who is looking in the 350-300k range (dependant on the condition etc).

Just absolutely love this car head over heels and would be extremely grateful for any help with my search! Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Cameron

A friend of mine did a full nuts and bolts acid dipped chassis resto by Tech9 and subsequently had them sell it due to his poor health. Maybe a good idea to contact phil @ Tech9 to see if he can buy it back for you but I think it was a 76 in Gold.

You could also try messaging John: 

https://www.impactbumpers.com/forum/index.php?/staff/

I seem to recall the official number of 1975 UK 930s being thirty six, later revised to around seventy (assuming you're based in the UK). Apparently Porsche themselves are unable to say which of the two numbers is correct.

Happy hunting (I think you'll find one eventually!)

Hi Cameron

Sorry to distract but an opportunity for me (and I suspect others ;)) to learn here - what was it about this year specifically that makes it different? That seems an awful lot of money relative to a "normal" turbo surely?

Cheers

I now realise that selling 1975MY chassis number 92 was possibly a mistake, but I couldn't afford the restoration that it deserved, so it went to a collector who specifically required a 1975 930, and who could afford to restore it properly.

I believed that keeping a 1976 930 would suffice, and in all respects other than value, it does...the price differential is approx £100k!

image.jpeg

The first 400 cars were homologation cars into the 76 (my) and had many differences to the 3lt cars that follow. There is new book out on these cars (I am still waiting for mine) that shines the light on these special cars. There were only 6 del to Australia, i know a couple have left our shores.

https://parabolicapress.com/products/porsche-turbo-3-0-book?utm_campaign=turbo_30_book_shipping_update&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_term=2018-04-20

23 hours ago, Mondrian said:

A friend of mine did a full nuts and bolts acid dipped chassis resto by Tech9 and subsequently had them sell it due to his poor health. Maybe a good idea to contact phil @ Tech9 to see if he can buy it back for you but I think it was a 76 in Gold.

I’ll email Tech9 now. They have a 77 currently for sale with the same description you just said, Gold with a recent Full N&B etc. Currently on for £249,999. If I can’t find a 75, that one does look amazing!

@Raven 930 So a garage that has sold a few 75's in the last few years sent me this:

"To find a decent/original 75 turbo for sale is extreme difficult.

To find another RHD 75 turbo is almost next to impossible. I think less then 10 are known to have survived."

I was also informed that my budget of 350k is too low, which was confirmed by a few other garages I've been talking to. I was told £500k for a full nut and bolt restored car.

Seems the Boosted life of the new turbos got rid of a fair few RHD 75s.

@Jim Rummy I'll message Steve now, thanks!

I guess with numbers of the first year being so low now, owners can just set the price, even with no precedent.

@Magnum  I believe the 75s also didn't have the boost dial on the dashboard. But the difference is just for its year and now very low numbers (RHD's I'm referring to)

The LHD 75s are much greater in numbers so would not command such a high price. But with RHD being so scarce I just can't help myself (unless the sale price really is £500k which is a hair too high)

I must admit I agree with the two posts above. It's a lot of money and unless there is a copper bottomed investment argument (I don't know enough to tell) I think one could have a slightly newer version (by 12 months) and a whole selection of other special cars?

It's not something with a "correct" answer, as it varies with individual circumstances, but does make one think what if :huh: .......

1 hour ago, macii said:

I guess with numbers of the first year being so low now, owners can just set the price, even with no precedent.

The LHD 75s are much greater in numbers so would not command such a high price. But with RHD being so scarce I just can't help myself (unless the sale price really is £500k which is a hair too high)

The LHD Euro Spec cars are just as sought after......and if you look at the 2.7 RS market, you'll frequently find that LHD cars go for more than the RHD ones, purely because there is a bigger potential market for them.

Interestingly, there were considerably fewer 911 turbo 3.0s built than there were 2.7 RSs, so it's not surprising that prices for the best ones have not only stayed high but have also continued to increase.

20 hours ago, Raven 930 said:

I now realise that selling 1975MY chassis number 92 was possibly a mistake, but I couldn't afford the restoration that it deserved, so it went to a collector who specifically required a 1975 930, and who could afford to restore it properly.

I knew I had a pic of #92 somewhere....chrome headlight and screen surrounds and door handles were an option.

image.jpeg

Edited by Raven 930

John,

As it has a 1977 registration was it in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man first then?

My thoughts are that the Guards Red 1974 Motor Show car (pre-production/first RHD) would be worth rather more than the average. Also maybe 2 GOO and the 1976 'Martini' Motor Show car if they still exist.

Guy

19 minutes ago, Guy said:

John,

As it has a 1977 registration was it in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man first then?

My thoughts are that the Guards Red 1974 Motor Show car (pre-production/first RHD) would be worth rather more than the average. Also maybe 2 GOO and the 1976 'Martini' Motor Show car if they still exist.

Guy

No....it was apparently held back by Porsche Cars and toured the dealership network for 18 months, along with a matching Carrera and an S i.e. Black with the same chrome highlights.

I agree re the 1974 and 1976 Motor Show cars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...