How original do you keep your IB?

Busybee

18 minutes ago, Dr Rock said:

Have you told him about the archliners....?

I didn’t but if they’re not on his certificate of authenticity, they’re not going on 

Or it’s restored to the full factory COA for around a hundred grand at Rennsport I guess. 

The American market seems very keen on originality. See it all the time on Facebook 

Makes no difference Dr., probably kept in a vast heated garage with all the other investments! The driving experience is pretty low on the list of priorities! He maybe enter it in some concours event where the exact factory spec. is everything.....this wins cups! I agree with B.B.......drive the bl@@dy things, and if modifying makes it better to drive and more fun, then do it!

David.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:16 PM, Leicestershire said:

That looks fresh and shiny.

Does your omega spring clear the headers?

Well observed, but headers loop below the spring (I've checked!)

Today old Long hood Porsches are worth more stock so it makes little sense to make mods that are not reversible.

Perhaps in the near future unmolested impact bumpers may see the same demand and popularity.

20 years ago we started to modify our blue 69T (74 RSR look now) we did any and every mod possible for performance.

Looking back I can't believe all the mods and fun I've had with this car while always keeping it street legal, registered and insured.

No regrets, but now that its done and I've raced and tracked it for 2 decades I feel its getting close to time to sell.

--------------------------------------------------

While the black 86 Euro was my work car for 20 years, it recently received a factory stock restoration.

It's kinda cool to see it today looking just as nice as the day it was new.

Plan is to keep the 86 a long time.

aq1.jpg

22406449_1464287260274611_2823491228033672706_n.jpg

My car has fiberglass turbo rear wheel arches ! I got the car as a none runner , been sat in a garage 20y. After a pretty full mechanical  rebuild. I always intended to put the body back to stock after enjoying it for a couple of years and having a break from the spending, But I've decided I love the fat ass , and will be putting steel turbo quarters on this winter. It's nice that the car is worth money but that's not why I love driving it

IMG_1268.JPG

Visually I'm slowly getting the car back to 74 which it is, from 84 which it's not. Mechanically I'm keeping it in era but modding away merrily just to pump up all areas of performance to make it a joy to drive while not loosing your licence. All mods are reversible and anything that comes off gets stored away carefully for the originality nuts, you never know what the future has in store.

To see stock standard gems is a buzz, can't deny that, but well executed mods are just as good. I love it when sadder examples get turned into replicas of something otherwise unobtainable.

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.ea88373f554107aea814e8d65d1a9a57.JPGIMG_0665.thumb.JPG.e70d91eed301e3300e4a9b7ced3747b0.JPG280142616_IMG_0059(1).thumb.JPG.051b8f40e61c3df84ea85793ddacbcfb.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is almost all original and it's driving me nuts. I'm so drawn between leaving the paint original or restoring and doing a respray. Except for numerous rock chips on the front an mirrors and the lower quarter panels behind the rear wheels being almost bare metal, the paint looks gorgeous. Those few areas that I have mad any modifications, I've kept the original parts so it can be returned to 100% original. 

On 5/1/2018 at 8:38 PM, Busybee said:

Wonder how much a Rennsport restored 88 CS in Grand Prix White kept completely to original factory spec is worth. 

Restored takes some money off. I have several original Club Sports on my books that I value circa £200k for insurance.

You would have to be mental to underseal a Club Sport that was originally supplied without it.

9 minutes ago, johndglynn said:

Restored takes some money off. I have several original Club Sports on my books that I value circa £200k for insurance.

You would have to be mental to underseal a Club Sport that was originally supplied without it.

I'm surprised. Wouldn't have thought undersealing it would detract. It really is in mint condition following the restoration. Serious investment I guess at that valuation and keen to keep it at its maximum price. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:09 AM, Bugs 77 said:

Visually I'm slowly getting the car back to 74 which it is, from 84 which it's not. Mechanically I'm keeping it in era but modding away merrily just to pump up all areas of performance to make it a joy to drive while not loosing your licence. All mods are reversible and anything that comes off gets stored away carefully for the originality nuts, you never know what the future has in store.

To see stock standard gems is a buzz, can't deny that, but well executed mods are just as good. I love it when sadder examples get turned into replicas of something otherwise unobtainable.

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.ea88373f554107aea814e8d65d1a9a57.JPGIMG_0665.thumb.JPG.e70d91eed301e3300e4a9b7ced3747b0.JPG280142616_IMG_0059(1).thumb.JPG.051b8f40e61c3df84ea85793ddacbcfb.JPG

Bugsy - I want your car.