Sc Engine noise

hi,

I have just rebuilt the CIS on my SC (cracked airbox) and when I started the engine is now making this awful knocking noise.

https://youtu.be/63hwGK-h4Ls

The engine was running fine and smooth before I did the CIS.

I also changed the belt, and try running without but noise is the same.

I have checked the spark plugs and all ok, too pic down the plug holes and all piston tops seems black with no debris.

it seems louder than rocker noise.

anyone has experienced this?

Not experienced it but did you disturb the exhaust? Could be an exhaust gasket failure. Spark plugs all tight? Inlet manifold gaskets all good and done up tight?

Unless you dropped something down one of the intakes it'll be something daft.

It's very easy to jump to all kind of conclusions about there being a serious fault (I know!).

Very difficult to tell from a video clip but I initially thought it's running on 4 cyls. Just because the plugs leads are on tight doesn't mean they're good. Have you checked for a wet plug (ie one that's no firing).

Pull each injector and make sure it's spraying.

Something that was ready to give up the ghost but was working fine before disassembly can suddenly stop working when disturbed. Plug lead, plugs, injectors.

As someone said check plug lead order and injectors in right place.

Be methodical and chase the fault from the start. Good luck.

It does look like threads in the photo, how carefull were you in plugging all the orifices to prevent Ingress of foreign objects? It’s amazing how undesirables get to where they should not be while you are concentrating on the task in hand. Hopefully not too serious.

David.

a small jubilee clip screw fell into cylinder 5, I managed to remove it and engine is ok...until I have time and cash to rebuild it.

On 5/7/2018 at 10:09 PM, Leicestershire said:

Oh bugger!

Look for the positives; would be a great opportunity to ditch the CIS and build something with a bit of grunt.

If you want to keep it standard, I have a good set of 204 BHP SC pistons sat on the shelf.

how much would you be looking for your pistons...?

Ouch, keep an eye on your oil level then if you plan to keep using it.  I'd be worried about using it and causing terminal damage on other components, then making the future rebuild even more costly as you'll be replacing parts rather re-working them.

Edited by Nige
18 hours ago, JYT said:

a small jubilee clip screw fell into cylinder 5, I managed to remove it and engine is ok...until I have time and cash to rebuild it.

how much would you be looking for your pistons...?

I don't think the engine is OK. The screw has been squashed between the head or, worse, a valve which may be bent and could fail causing massive damage. You should get it fixed before using the car in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thomas my worst thought when  I was doing my air box. I hoovered all over as much and a few time between taking parts off, as there was washers from past jobs kicking around. As soon as I had a manifold off or I could put gaffer tape under the manifold I did. Then once i had a clear hole I taped it up straight away. I might off even put the Hoover down the hole at some point just to double check..