Play in wheel bearing

Hi- small play in my front wheel bearing - looking at Bentleys it would look as though you can adjust the 'tightness' to the bearings - this sounds counter intuitive to me! Should I replace or adjust?

Thanks for your help....

Yes a nice easy job on your car

Just make sure you can still just about move the large washer that sits behind the nut, with a flat blade screw driver.

Then re grease, I would only replace if they become noisy 

If I remember you are allowed slight movement anyway?

Thanks Vincent. Just popped up as an an advisory on the MOT last week - just not too sure about tighten or replace.....I will have a look at the play in the washer and see what needs to be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - I took the cover off to check the play in the washer and there is none (Bentleys said small amount of play should be there). Does that still mean tighten up a little more or should I loosen to ensure some movement in the washer? Does it mean new bearings (hope not)?

Remove the split pin, tighten the nut a bit, then back it off and see where you are. You should be able to rotate the washer by hand but only just.

Chris

Oh and always a new split pin!

Split pin??

Nut??

It’s a Porsche not a silver-cross pram. 

Some good guides on Pelican on how to adjust or replace the front wheel bearings.

Once the wheel is off and the car supported all you need is a small bar to remove the grease cap, a 6mm(I think) hex key and a small flat blade screwdriver to ‘feel’ the thrust washer.

Oh yes! I remember it’s not like that is it? It’s a rotating collar with an Allen headed bolt.... sorry for the confusion!! Very unlikely your wheel bearing is shot I’d say. 

Chris (now off to wonder what car I WAS thinking about!) 

Thought I was going nuts when you mentioned a split pin as I didn't see one and what if one was missing.....never mind, rechecked the manual and I was OK! I have 'felt' the washer and it was not moving so I left as was once I tightened everything up - now I am wondering if it is too tight?