The heavens opened! Flooded DME on 3.6

Is that pic of your ECU Nader? 

If so then yours has burnt our in exactly the same location as the OP's!?, ie around resistor R315

Leccy whizz Jonny will be able to decode the colour-band coding value on that resistor. 

Edited by GaryH

Hey thanks Jev ! And Nader thats really great work .

Maybe Jonny could sugest best replacement option that would be further icing 😉

Nader if i could borrow your old unit that would be great will send pm . I can happily order resistors , probably lots for buttons . Can change yours two if my soldering goes ok ..  

I did speak to a bit of a electrical wizz today and as note of caution said its possible other damge may have occurred , whilst the car may fire up and appear fine the Dme might not be giving out all correct signals at diferent rwvs ie fuel mixture and you dont want it running lean etc . So i think my plan will be to try and source best replacement  resitor and see if it works then I think I will send it off for testing to Bluestreak  

Testing the DME is around £30-40  , a repair quoted around 3- £350 

I was looking to fix mine up and keep as spare, you’re welcome to have it and even use (if it works) till you get yours patched up.

Edited by Mondrian

• johndglynn changed the title to The heavens opened! Flooded DME on 3.6
  • 4 weeks later...

Update time , unfortunately the plan ddidnt  quite come together but I did give it a good go. 

Thanks to Nader’s loan of DME I managed to solder in a new resistor  but it didn’t fix the problem so I resoldered the old one back in , worth a try and I now have an upgraded soldering iron :) in my tool cab. 

After speaking to Bluestreak electronics they seemed to think they could fix and replace damaged items .  3 days later they said it was damaged beyond repair :( 

It transpired however after I asked if they swapped out obvious blown resistor they couldn’t identify the resistor and don’t have a wiring diagram ! So with a week already lost I spoke to Frazier parts . A good bloke there , owner I think said they use someone and they have never had a DME they couldn’t repair , after asking if they had the schematic and confirming so . I sent to them still skeptical . 

Recieved a call Friday saying they managed to fix , damage to ignition and fuel circuits apparently . They had to supply a standard chip to effect repair then rechecked with my custom one and all good . 

Recieved Dme today and fitted , fired up just fine  :) 

Big thumbs up to Fraser parts , good service  They were a couple of days later than they hoped which meant missing the equinox cruise this year :( but just good to get it running again . 

I would have liked to look inside but it has security tape on and says warranty void(12months ), also painted and clean !

CEE7511B-0ED5-44B3-8F18-49E1E17E67FD.jpeg

E894AAFD-A733-434F-80CA-E48AAEB82ABD.jpeg

I am sure the bill was a bit of a pain but cheaper than alternatives! I have too many balls in the air and no 964 in need of one so best wait till a time when I can take advantage of the 12 month warranty. I will give you a buzz in a week or two as I'll be in the neighbourhood so can collect.

5 hours ago, Stryke25 said:

Sorry to hear about the flood. Hope you get everything fixed soon. 

All fixed thanks   , a sound thrashing soon confirmed that 😄,  

6 hours ago, BenC said:

Great to hear you have it sorted Henry.

Sounds like decent service from Frazier as well

Cheers Ben ,  Yes Frazer were very good ,  £414 with the Vat for reference  , not cheap mind but not so bad, finding another and potential remap as well could have been a lot more , just nice to be back on the road.

Thanks Nader