So what's the big deal with Fuchs?

Bankjobbob

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol sorry longman , will be paying more attention in future, and yes I'm sure it feels better only when a couple of miles looking forward to a bit of a blast now .

busybee I wasn't sure about the caps and wondered if just black might look cleaner? They came with wheels £ 720 - 5% PCGB +vat 

1 hour ago, Bankjobbob said:

got some Fuchs on it ! 

And yes it does look better, I don't think I'm imagining it, but the ride is a lot less spine crunching going from 17" to 16" 

yes ride is so more better on 16'' wheels looks great as well 😀

16 minutes ago, Bankjobbob said:

Lol sorry longman , will be paying more attention in future, and yes I'm sure it feels better only when a couple of miles looking forward to a bit of a blast now .

busybee I wasn't sure about the caps and wondered if just black might look cleaner? They came with wheels £ 720 - 5% PCGB +vat 

Really like the coloured centres Bob. That’s a good price. Look mint 👍

35 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Chaps, would you say Bob needs spacers on the back wheels to push the wheels out a bit? Fill the arches more? 

defo on rears poor chap first we tell him to change the wheels now were telling him to move them out 🤣 mine narrow body i put 7mm shim on rears but think he needs 15mm + bolt on hub ones for wide body 

6 minutes ago, peter32 said:

defo on rears poor chap first we tell him to change the wheels now were telling him to move them out 🤣 mine narrow body i put 7mm shim on rears but think he needs 15mm + bolt on hub ones for wide body 

I'm of the same thinking, but the car is not a factory turbo body so is on spacers already , the rear arches are fiberglass, i had intended to put it back to standard but the look has grown on me and I have steel turbo rear quarters going on the car this winter. It's my understanding that the turbo extra width is just in the hubs ? So trying to find these . Just how close to the inside tin can the tyre be ? 

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2018 at 4:39 AM, runnersp said:

Mine had 15s on it when I bought it and I like how they look, I had some 16s but sold them on.

4528903864_5671914eda_b.jpg

15's look best to me as well. Especially in bare silver.

I couldn't get used to the look of my car on 15's, they just looked a bit diddy and gappy. But admit it felt lighter on its feet/ more nimble on them than the 16's. When I had the all black cookies and car was lower it looked good, probably a photo still on here somewhere.

24 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

I couldn't get used to the look of my car on 15's, they just looked a bit diddy and gappy. But admit it felt lighter on its feet/ more nimble on them than the 16's. When I had the all black cookies and car was lower it looked good, probably a photo still on here somewhere.

The overall diameter of the tyre should be the same with 15 & 16 inch wheels.

56 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

The overall diameter of the tyre should be the same with 15 & 16 inch wheels.

not sure, I had Toyo R1 R's on mine and it definitely bottomed out more with the 15's on, and gaps between the arches were noticeable.

The Toyo R1 is available in 205/55r15 and 225/50r15. These have a lower profile / smaller overall diameter than stock sizes tires on 15” Fuchs (at least for SC and 3.2). That would explain the gap and the bottoming out. 

The tyre size is proportional. 185/70 R15’s will have the same overall diameter as 195/65 R15’s etc. It’s if you choose a much wider tyre or a much narrower profile that you’ll end up with gaps etc 

I believe Porsche never offered a 15x9 wheel on a 911 from the factory (thinking impact bumper cars here). Even the -76 930 had the same 7x15 front and 8x15 rear Fuchs that were an option on the narrow body cars. For these the sizes are noted above. So there is no ”official” correct tyre size for a 9x15 Fuchs on an impact bumper 911.

Having said that, a 235/55r15, 245/50r15 or 255/50r15 would have roughly the same overall diameter as the 195/65r15 or 215/60 stock sizes. But good luck finding such a tyre. 

It is really tough trying to find a matching set of tyres for those wheel sizes. If you wouldn’t mind a track-day tyre, Toyo does the R888 in 235/50r15 that would work at the rear. You could pair that with the same tyre at 215/50r15 or 205/50r15 up front. 

Edited by Teme