Impact Bumpers
ALEX P

Alex's overdue front suspension refresh

That's great of FLM to do that, 

Rally spec sounds good for the disgraceful  state of our roads,  but I'm no expert.

If it’s for road driving Alex, I’d stay away from the more extreme, harder inserts. I’d just go for street sports. Your back will thank you for it. If more track, go for whatever mate. 

By the way, whats on the back? You really want to match them up? 

Hi Alex, I agree with the above, Rally will be too harsh. Street sport ones will feel harsher than their value suggests anyway as the car is lighter on the front than stock. It has been said here before that these cars go better when there is some compliance in the suspension.

Chris.

5 hours ago, Busybee said:

By the way, whats on the back? You really want to match them up? 

No you don't.  Different spring weights and massively different fr/back corner weights for a start.

Alex - given how light your car is and assuming its similar to my old car, then you want soft on the front unless you really want to focus on the track.  Its one of the things in hindsight I should have changed on my old car, ie., soften the front torsion bars by a mm and revalve the front shocks softer given how I used it.  On a smooth road (like a racetrack) it was epic and could turn-in and carry corner speed brilliantly and with the confidence that comes from low weight transfer, but for rougher roads you really did have to grit your teeth and hope for the best.  There were times when daylight was repeatedly observed under all 4 corners - which was hilarious to watch, but not comfortable to drive.  $0.02

1 hour ago, Richard Bernau said:

No you don't.  Different spring weights and massively different fr/back corner weights for a start.

Alex - given how light your car is and assuming its similar to my old car, then you want soft on the front unless you really want to focus on the track.  Its one of the things in hindsight I should have changed on my old car, ie., soften the front torsion bars by a mm and revalve the front shocks softer given how I used it.  On a smooth road (like a racetrack) it was epic and could turn-in and carry corner speed brilliantly and with the confidence that comes from low weight transfer, but for rougher roads you really did have to grit your teeth and hope for the best.  There were times when daylight was repeatedly observed under all 4 corners - which was hilarious to watch, but not comfortable to drive.  $0.02

Richard, they make these in sets. Doesn't that take account of the fact that the big lump lives at the back and mostly fresh air at the front? 

Well, FWIW when it was on the scales at CofG the weight distribution was 39% front, 61% rear.

Fenn Lane refunded the money. I have now ordered the slightly softer sport inserts because I'm getting old (34-050507). As soon as they come through I can rejoin he back of the CofG queue & get the job finished.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

24 minutes ago, ALEX P said:

Well, FWIW when it was on the scales at CofG the weight distribution was 39% front, 61% rear.

Fenn Lane refunded the money. I have now ordered the slightly softer sport inserts because I'm getting old (34-050507). As soon as they come through I can rejoin he back of the CofG queue & get the job finished.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

softer is good mate , the clubsport/rally ones I had were a ball ache on anything bar a pool table smooth road