Air Con removal question

ebmbiker

Good evening folks,

Hope you’re all enjoying the fantastic weather and getting out and driving. Or working on your SC in full sun like I’ve been doing for the last few days. Anyway, enough preamble.

I’ve removed most of the air con parts from my U.S. ‘82 SC but there are a few items I’m not sure are part of it. Here’s a couple of them:

Are these ok to remove? 

8D058350-D040-4280-A222-4BBDCD2C55EB.jpeg

676366F6-3F7F-42AB-B686-0C388E229395.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nige said:

I'd say so, but the roller switch in the middle is your front to rear speaker fader.  So leave that if it's still functioning.

Thanks for clarifying what the roller switch is for. I couldn't figure out what the symbol had to do with air con!

10 minutes ago, Flat 6 said:

Yep, that wiring is leading into the smugglers box where I suspect your compressor is hiding...

Al

Blimey! sure is hiding then, most of them are bolted in the engine bay!

I'm not sure if this was still the case in 1982 but in the early '70s aircon was installed by the US dealership. So I think different dealerships had their own approach! On my '73T the compressor is beautifully fitted in my smugglers box and there is the same hole in the rhs footwell, although they didn't do such nice wiring. That connector looks very factory though.

So was there a compressor in there? I think I see daylight coming through from the front in that second photo?

Al.

45 minutes ago, Flat 6 said:

On my '73T the compressor is beautifully fitted in my smugglers box

How was it powered then? Up until recently AC compressors were run off belt drives from the engine.

Apologies, I don't mean the compressor, do I.  That does go in the engine bay of course.

The unit I'm referring to must be a fan and some sort of temperature controller.  It's a good deal more complicated looking that the standard front fan setup, with a small brass pipe that goes into the airflow to the car which is presumably taking a reading of temperature.

I hope to reinstate the aircon in my '73 so I'm going to have to get into this in a lot more detail come the winter and I get the car back from the (very very slow) body shop.  I have the compressor and pressure tubes in a box and I have that fan unit for the front compartment and the air distribution unit that sits nicely under the dashboard.  So I guess I'm missing a condenser, a receiver/dryer and poss an evaporator?

Sorry for thread crash - I'll revisit this another time.  Thanks Ian (is that right) for correction!

A.

Fan and evaporator is under the floor. you like a challenge Al! One of Johnnys electric air con units would be a lot easier and cheaper

I'm sure you're right Matt - in this case it's more about reinstating the car to as close to original as poss.  Otherwise I wouldn't be sticking with Sepia Brown which isn't my favourite 911 colour!

There's a bracket for something at the rear of the front left inner wheel arch - just where the crud must hit whatever goes there.  I thought that was for either the evaporator or receiver/dryer.

Thread crash continues!

A.

Everything is now removed from the car. Very therapeutic tinkering in the sunshine! First time I've worked on an old car since I was in my 20s.

Speaker fade wires where cut so I've removed the whole centre console. The fader would have been redundant when the modern radio was fitted.

Now to make some panels to cover the holes in the body where all the ducts for the AC poked through.

1 hour ago, Mondrian said:

Did you drop the engine to remove the compressor bracket?

That’s the only thing I haven’t removed. I was going to find out if the engine did need to be dropped.

I’ve removed the the 2 major plates of the bracket assembly.