Impact Bumpers

On 8/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, Jon Miller said:

I also have the cup version waiting to fit.

I've finally got hold of a cup one too (two weeks delivery as TNT lost the first one).

Have you painted/are planning to paint yours @Jon Miller

I'd added about 1000 miles now to the GT3, which is nearly as much as the previous owner managed in total! I've started to tackle some of the dreaded 996 interior rattles, which basically involves dismantling the interior and adding felt padding behind panels.

Also some small trim bits are off to the leather man for retiming, they are ferociously expensive to replace at the dealer.

I'm also adding a bluetooth CD-changer emulator which will wirelessly integrate my phone+music, rather than changing the FM/CD head unit, there is space under the radio but behind the dash for it, and I can wire it into the vacant PCM fuse in the fusebox to make it totally reversible (rather than cutting into wires).

To do this, the head unit needs recoding by the OPC, I've received a variety of quotes from £313+VAT to £35!!

Finally, the DesignTek leather carbon bucket Recaro replicas are high on the want list, as the standard hardback sport seats continue to frustrate. I could add heating to these too 😎

IMG_5188.jpg

Actually only getting around to fitting my splitter this afternoon (track day on Sat). I’m just going to fit it as it is, fully expect to be replacing it on a regular basis!

Mine doesn’t have too many squeaks or rattles, only one that annoys me is from the upper dash, haven’t worked out if it’s from the screen or dash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jon Miller said:

Mine doesn’t have too many squeaks or rattles, only one that annoys me is from the upper dash, haven’t worked out if it’s from the screen or dash.

I *think* I have eliminated all the ones except from the upper dash - I've read elsewhere that this is often the screen. Not sure how to start debugging that one....

Fairly certain mine is a screen issue as it had a new fitted not long before I bought it and the noise has got steadily worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, reddevil said:

Finally, the DesignTek leather carbon bucket Recaro replicas are high on the want list, as the standard hardback sport seats continue to frustrate. I could add heating to these too 😎

What's the consensus on quality of these seats, seem fairly inexpensive.

I haven't seen them. But internets say's they're OK. 

Ideally would love to view one. 

What a seriously cool car. Funny, because I was just reading an Excellence from late 2012 in which then-editor Pete Stout says this was the best (or his favorite) GT3 also. My SC is black/black, so your speed machine looks just right. John

On 12/5/2018 at 12:08 AM, wilson59 said:

I have the 997.1 seriously love it . The black 996 looks fantastic

IMG_3932.PNG

Lovely car. I've always liked the 997.1. Unfortunately, I had a friend with one in Scotland who crashed it and passed so bad memories associated with the car for me.

Agree that the GT3 is probably the ultimate expression of Porsche's ethos.

Well I thought I'd tear into the front suspension on the GT3 whilst there is salt on the roads. It requires a front damper refurb and seeing as we have an account with Bilstein via the race team I thought I might as well drop it all out myself and have a good poke around what else might be required.

It all came apart pretty easily and here is the front end on the bench.

45318803725_ec72c98e5b_c.jpg

Most of the components look to be the items it left the factory with.

Springs, these seem to be standard H&R, starting to look a bit tired, think we'll just replace these...

45318805215_bdf93507a7_c.jpg

These top hats look fancy. Standard?

31292816877_205b269f35_c.jpg

Top mounts. 964 part number! They look in relatively reasonable nick. Should I just bother replacing these anyway? 

44414560850_fc1c653535_c.jpg
45318806275_1ac33419ee_c.jpg

On to the dampers, which is why we are here in the first place. Can't actually find any bilstein markings on them. Hard to tell in the photos but the RH one seems to have more grease/oil on the tube than the LH.

45318806905_149c7cb8da_c.jpg
31292817787_ace1dde65a_c.jpg

ARB drop links. One is new one is old. For that reason these are probably going in the bin. New porsche ones are a ridiculous £250. Really Porsche? I think I'll make some rose jointed ones that are adjustable. 

44414560160_12ee90ce72_c.jpg

ARB. This looks crusty on the ends. Off for blasting and e-coating.

46180978722_9b655b82a3_c.jpg

Although where the bushes pick up on it looks a little rough. Strange?

45318810095_7892c49968_c.jpg

Talking of the ARB bushes, these are manufacture dated 03 so I guess original to the car. They look OK but I guess they're cheap enough to renew whilst here.

45318807355_bf9ef09d02_c.jpg

On to the coffin arms, which it said in the pre-sales report where just starting to delaminate around the bushes. They look in good nick to me. Anyone disagree? Someone has been kind enough in the past to add RSS bushes for the "tuning fork".

46180977612_ef4d398717_c.jpg
46180977992_c99f3ac668_c.jpg
45318808785_fd19eb6655_c.jpg

These pieces tie in the sub frame to the front of the floorpan. Going in the e-coat pile as a bit crusty.

46180978562_ef45738dfe_c.jpg

Finally, after a little bit of track time at Donington, the front discs are starting to crack. I take it I don't need to worry about this tool much until the cracks are right across and join the holes?

45318810995_a171977731_c.jpg

Finally, hibernating on stilts with its mezger cousin!

46180979002_680c2444f7_c.jpg