Impact Bumpers

915 Shifter Very Vague

Did a search and didn’t see anything on this topic. Recently purchased an early 3.2 w/ 915 gearbox. The shifter feels incredibly vague and sloppy to me. Is there a common culprit for this?

I was planning to do a Wevo Classic and their coupler but want to make sure I am fixing the real issue. Could this indicate a larger issue with the gearbox? It’s vague to the point I’m not sure what gear I’m in and I have been driving manual cars for a couple decades now.

I wasn’t expecting an S2000 shifter or anything but this seems a bit ridiculous. The car is going to my mechanic for a full once over but I’d like to have a better idea of what to look at. Thanks in advance. 

That’s what they are like, there is no springing to hold the lever in the 3/4 plane.  

Adding the Wevo or Rennshift adds the spring but make sure your box is sound first or you’ll just mask off ‘real’ issues. 

Research ‘shift coupler’ too before that. 

Edited by Jonny Hart

No spring loading but a well serviced shifter with good bushes should have no vagueness and nothing that would be described as sloppy.

If all you gears engage well then it points to a external problem with the shifter arrangement.

All the bushes are easy and inexpensive to replace. Lots of information on IB and other forums on how to replace the bushes and set the shifter correctly.    

When I first got my car, it was the first Porsche I’d owned. I thought selecting gears was like stirring porridge!

I hated it! 

I knew the gearbox needed attention as it was crunching slightly coming down from second into first, so I had the gearbox rebuilt. 

I then tackled the gear lever assembly.

Upon dismantling I found all the nylon/plastic bushes were worn. (The one under the lever, the selector tube/rod one and the coupling bushes)

I’d read that replacing them firmed things up but still didn’t “fix” the problem of not lining up the gears shifting down which is what I wanted after splashing out a load of money on my rebuild. (I didn’t want to crunch my newly rebuilt gears)

So I bought the Wevo selector, new tube guide bush and precision coupler (wevo).

It was a doddle to fit.

I also, controversially, used Swepco oil in the box. (Read up on it, lots of great and not so great reviews)

To say I’m “happy” with the results is a complete understatement!

Because the Wevo has a lock out for Fifth/reverse gear and spring loading for the other four gears I find it transformed the experience of gear selection! No mashing gears, no crunching and complete confidence when changing down.

Much more modern feeling.

Its still not like a “new” car but it’s made my driving experience so much more pleasurable and stress free!😁

Hope this helps

Regards

Russ

Another happy Wevo shifter and coupler user here. I fitted both together and the difference (once adjusted) is night and day.

Chris 

Following. I have two 915 boxes (possibly 3) that all feel like they need some TLC. Where's the best threads on here for bush (snigger) replacement and proper alignment/setup of a 915 box guys? 

Is a Wevo really that good? #Want! lol 

The two white ones i that photo need replacing yes, they go on the base of the gearstick and on the shift rod. The dark ones are in the shift coupler and are not used in the Wevo coupler. However, if you buy a Wevo shifter both white bushes are supplied.

Buying Wevo stuff is tricky. Twin Spark Racing are official EU importers but are not cheap! Wevo will not ship to a UK address. So, buy from Pelican who WILL ship internationally or better still, get them posted to a mate in the USA and carry them home in your luggage as I did.....

Chris.

4 hours ago, Jonny Hart said:

That’s what they are like, there is no springing to hold the lever in the 3/4 plane.  

Adding the Wevo or Rennshift adds the spring but make sure your box is sound first or you’ll just mask off ‘real’ issues. 

Research ‘shift coupler’ too before that. 

Interesting, and that is what I am trying to assess now, certainly don't want to mask any real issue. I was planning on adding the coupler as well. I have run through the gears and there is no crunching or difficulty getting into and out of all gears, including reverse, so I don't have any overt signs of "real" issues but that is TBD till a pro checks it out. Thanks for your insight.

4 hours ago, Leicestershire said:

No spring loading but a well serviced shifter with good bushes should have no vagueness and nothing that would be described as sloppy.

If all you gears engage well then it points to a external problem with the shifter arrangement.

All the bushes are easy and inexpensive to replace. Lots of information on IB and other forums on how to replace the bushes and set the shifter correctly.    

The PO handed me a stack of paperwork to assure me the car was well serviced (and it seems so generally) but I am very picky about touch points and this shifter indeed feels quite sloppy to me. Potentially just the bushes are gone then. It engages all gears well thus far but I literally received the car, drove it around the block once, and parked it up. I will drive it more this week to assess. I will search for threads on the bushes, appreciate your help.

4 hours ago, Rustybum said:

When I first got my car, it was the first Porsche I’d owned. I thought selecting gears was like stirring porridge!

I hated it! 

I knew the gearbox needed attention as it was crunching slightly coming down from second into first, so I had the gearbox rebuilt. 

I then tackled the gear lever assembly.

Upon dismantling I found all the nylon/plastic bushes were worn. (The one under the lever, the selector tube/rod one and the coupling bushes)

I’d read that replacing them firmed things up but still didn’t “fix” the problem of not lining up the gears shifting down which is what I wanted after splashing out a load of money on my rebuild. (I didn’t want to crunch my newly rebuilt gears)

So I bought the Wevo selector, new tube guide bush and precision coupler (wevo).

It was a doddle to fit.

I also, controversially, used Swepco oil in the box. (Read up on it, lots of great and not so great reviews)

To say I’m “happy” with the results is a complete understatement!

Because the Wevo has a lock out for Fifth/reverse gear and spring loading for the other four gears I find it transformed the experience of gear selection! No mashing gears, no crunching and complete confidence when changing down.

Much more modern feeling.

Its still not like a “new” car but it’s made my driving experience so much more pleasurable and stress free!😁

Hope this helps

Regards

Russ

You hit the nail on the head when you said it was like "stirring porridge," exactly how it felt lol. I have been spoiled a bit driving nice gearboxes so this was a bit of a shock. There is no crunching though that I can discern (yet) so the box itself seems ok, it's just the shifter that flops around like a fish out of water. Thanks so much for your experiences, that is exactly where I am headed (Wevo + coupler) so that is good to hear. I will confirm there are no underlying issues with the box first though. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, SP72 said:

Take a look here for Rennshift too -: http://www.jwesteng.com/shop/17-911-65-to-86

I really like how the shifter cleaned up the action on my G50

Is there any big difference between this option and the Wevo? From an aesthetic standpoint I prefer the Wevo classic, as this is a bit blingy for my taste. But is there some advantage to this unit? 

Truthfully, I don’t know what the differences are between RennShift and Wevo products, I just know it worked for my G50, and it was chunk cheaper than Wevo.

Bling should be covered up nicely with the boot they offer and brushed or black gearstick.

There are previous posts on here re which should be easily searchable - it’s been done before.

What’s the difference between the weltmeister and superpro poly bushes for the gearbox coupling? Assuming the superpro is stiffer? Better feel with a poly bush? 

5 hours ago, SP72 said:

Truthfully, I don’t know what the differences are between RennShift and Wevo products, I just know it worked for my G50, and it was chunk cheaper than Wevo.

Bling should be covered up nicely with the boot they offer and brushed or black gearstick.

There are previous posts on here re which should be easily searchable - it’s been done before.

Here in the US the price difference is marginal so ill dig deeper to see if there is any real advantage to either. I want to run sans boot so appearance matters. I seem to recall reading on Pelican some preferred the RennShift due to a mechanical reason but I can't remember now.

1 hour ago, Busybee said:

What’s the difference between the weltmeister and superpro poly bushes for the gearbox coupling? Assuming the superpro is stiffer? Better feel with a poly bush? 

Are those bushings in addition to this piece or does it come with them?

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ShifterProducts/WevoShifterProducts_PSJAll.htm

5 minutes ago, 786 said:

Here in the US the price difference is marginal so ill dig deeper to see if there is any real advantage to either. I want to run sans boot so appearance matters. I seem to recall reading on Pelican some preferred the RennShift due to a mechanical reason but I can't remember now.

Are those bushings in addition to this piece or does it come with them?

https://www.wevo.com/Products/ShifterProducts/WevoShifterProducts_PSJAll.htm

The poly or weltmeister bushes are used on the original coupling only. Not on the wevo or rennshift 

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/807

Edited by Busybee

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

The poly or weltmeister bushes are used on the original coupling only. Not on the wevo or rennshift 

https://type911shop.co.uk/epages/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/de867ca1-377e-432e-84fd-bdccf2206766/Products/807

Thanks, so to be clear if you are getting an aftermarket coupler you do not need these bushes correct?

Ok, searched several Wevo vs. RennShift threads and the results seem to be both units are great but more people run Wevo. Only real difference I could find is RennShift comes with a new shift housing (the blingy item) so is a complete package whereas the Wevo reuses your existing housing. My friend texted me to look at Hargett as well but I don't think that will work as it seems to negate the parking brake? Must be race use only.

Yes, not required for an aftermarket coupler like wevo. 

Before you spend all that money on a wevo or rennshift, is it worth trying to change the bushes on the existing setup? About 20 dollars for you https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/37-Shifting_Improvements/37-Shifting_Improvements.htm

1 minute ago, Busybee said:

Yes, not required for an aftermarket coupler like wevo. 

Before you spend all that money on a wevo or rennshift, is it worth trying to change the bushes on the existing setup? About 20 dollars for you https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/37-Shifting_Improvements/37-Shifting_Improvements.htm

Hey thank you so much for that link. Funny enough, the PO of my car gave me that "101 projects for your 911" book with the car. $20 is a far cry from $600 so certainly worth trying. 

Would be curious if anyone could chime in on how a new bushed OEM setup feels vs a Wevo.

No problem. I have two cars with 915 gearboxes and both need work on the shift linkage. One is very much stock and is staying that way so a refurbishment of the existing setup is in order. The other might one day get a wevo or rennshift if the rebush and adjustment doesn’t work well. 

First things first, going to pop new bushes in and see. 

Ok, good to hear. If you are about to do this soon please post in here and let me know your impressions. 

By the way guys, reading that article I linked earlier, is it very hard to change the coupler bushes? They recommend a press etc or a machine shop. Is it better to change the coupler out complete? 

Just now, Busybee said:

By the way guys, reading that article I linked earlier, is it very hard to change the coupler bushes? They recommend a press etc or a machine shop. Is it better to change the coupler out complete? 

Everything I am reading says it's not worth the hassle and better to just replace the coupler.

8 minutes ago, 786 said:

Everything I am reading says it's not worth the hassle and better to just replace the coupler.

It’s a easy job to change the coupler bushes.

Option 1 - preferred by knuckle heads is to bray the f**k out of the pin using random large objects until the alloy casting fails.

Option 2 - gently push the pin out in a vice using an appropriately sized socket and bolt.

4 minutes ago, Leicestershire said:

It’s a easy job to change the coupler bushes.

Option 1 - preferred by knuckle heads is to bray the f**k out of the pin using random large objects until the alloy casting fails.

Option 2 - gently push the pin out in a vice using an appropriately sized socket and bolt.

Thanks. I figured it was doable. Oversized socket one side and bolt narrower than the pin your pushing on the other side right? 

Poly bush or Weltmeister? I’m looking to get these ordered this week.