915 Shifter Very Vague

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Busybee said:

I’d expect fresh oil to help regardless of brand. Yes, the magnetic drain plugs are a great idea. You’ll see if there’s any metallic wear in the future. Wonder why your mechanics are insisting on liqui moly. 

Yes, agreed. Fresh oil always trumps old. I think my shop is insisting on Liqui Moly because that’s what they carry :)

1 hour ago, R2D2 said:

Chaps, don't use one of those syringe things to change gearbox oil, waste of time IMO - just use a section of hose and funnel and let gravity do the work.

I got one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Precise-Hand-Oil-Extractor-Manual-Pump-Fluid-Fuel-Transfer-Suction-Siphon-Tub-HD/302828642028?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D53529%26meid%3D60c9f0e21cb145b5b2fe07f27b076700%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D302828642028&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226. No idea if it'll work.

Tell me, how do you drain the box and refill without a lift? I had my SC done at a local garage on a 4 post lift. Without putting it up on 4 axle stands and getting it pretty level, I'm worried I won't get enough or too much oil in the gearbox. From the floor, there just isn't enough space is there? 

BB, hose and funnel is the only way IMO.

I just put the front wheels on a couple of blocks and then jacked up the rear, you don't need to go really high, just enough to remove the rear wheel and get access to the fill side of the box. The good thing about the hose is that you can jam one end in the fill hole and then sit back with a cuppa T whilst topping up the funnel now again.

Edited by R2D2

8 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

BB, hose and funnel is the only way IMO.

I just put to the front wheel on a couple of blocks and then jacked up the rear, you don't need to go really high, just enough to remove the rear wheel and get access to the fill side of the box. The good thing about the hose is that you can jam one end in the fill hole and then sit back with a cuppa T whilst topping up the funnel now again.

Thanks. Makes sense. Read that it’s good to get the gearbox oil good and warm before draining it. Chucking it down this afternoon in Mid Wales. See if I can get on it tomorrow. I’m looking forward to seeing the old oil. Bet it’s right mankey lol

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, tested the car today after bushings and transmission oil were changed. Significant improvement no doubt, not exactly a modern car haha but pretty good for what it is.

I bet it would be ace with a Wevo ;)

• 7 months later...

I've got a Wevo version. I fitted it at the same time as a Wevo shifter. Night and day different but can't say how much was down to which bit though..... What I can say is that is was less than 199.99 and that was in dollars! Wevo won't ship to the UK, instead they send you to Twin Spark racing, but Pelican will deliver here 😉

Chris.

23 hours ago, Chris T said:

I've got a Wevo version. I fitted it at the same time as a Wevo shifter. Night and day different but can't say how much was down to which bit though..... What I can say is that is was less than 199.99 and that was in dollars! Wevo won't ship to the UK, instead they send you to Twin Spark racing, but Pelican will deliver here 😉

Chris.

Thanks Chris. Great to have some feedback on the Wevo. Can’t stand the pelican website. Just find it difficult to navigate. Twins park seem to have them for similar money. I’m half tempted to get the whole thing. It’s all reversible right for originality? What’s the difference with the Rennline shifter I wonder. 

5 minutes ago, Rustybum said:

I’ve got the Wevo gear lever assembly and the coupling.

It is all reversible Haith.

Best thing I've done to my car!

Regards

Russ

Thanks Russ. Another +1 for a Wevo. Can’t help thinking no matter how much tweaking etc I do with the standard mechanism, there’s a worked out more precise option staring me in the face and for not mega money. 

30 minutes ago, Busybee said:

Thanks Russ. Another +1 for a Wevo. Can’t help thinking no matter how much tweaking etc I do with the standard mechanism, there’s a worked out more precise option staring me in the face and for not mega money. 

I should mention I changed the rear engine support bushes for Wevo ones too.

I went to their place in America on a road trip and he recommended using theirs plus standard ones on the gearbox support beam.

Keeps everything straight.

Regards

Russ

Definitely worth doing the engine and transmission mounting bushes if you haven’t already? 

I did this plus the shift rod and lever bushes, added a Wevo PSJ coupling and changed the oil. Also extended the standard gear lever fifty mm. 

Will likely fit a Wevo shifter at some point but as it is it’s thought pretty good by someone who’s driven more of them than I ever will.

Thanks @mean in green and @Rustybum. Spent an hour adjusting my standard coupler this afternoon and it’s shifting better already. Seems to be better shifting first and second and not quite as good in the higher gears. The reverse was true before adjustment. Need to find the middle sweet spot right. Or buy a Wevo 😂

Hi..if i would do replacement..I would mark with marker pen the position on the shaft meaning sliding distance.Then once you have the new one or repaired one in.Put the shifter on the tower in the middle.Then slide the shaft (with grooves) to the original position or at least what you could remember .After the coupler should turned if you are in RHD 911 with your left hand (sitting on drivers seat)towards right about1/2cm.Secure the 13 head bolt and nut and see....On LHD 911 i would use right hand(sitting on drivers seat)and turn the coupler towards pass.side 1/2 cm ....mirror image...The coupler and shifter in center cannot be aligned it has to be off ..reason is the back up gear over the spring motion...very simple.....

Ivan

Thanks Ivan. I replaced the coupler bushes some time back. Marked it an put back in but the coupler seems really sensitive to tiny differences. I set up using this video 

First time I set it up, first and second gear were stiff. I adjusted again today and first and second are better but fourth and fifth are a little tight. 

if you do consider a Wevo, think about getting it shipped to a friend in the USA who can either bring it back for you or at least re-package and send on as a 'gift'. You may save a bit in import taxes if you are lucky.

22 hours ago, Chris T said:

if you do consider a Wevo, think about getting it shipped to a friend in the USA who can either bring it back for you or at least re-package and send on as a 'gift'. You may save a bit in import taxes if you are lucky.

Same for the Rennshift/J West shifter. 

I sacrificed a bit of luggage space last week to bring one home. US customs were so impressed they opened up my case for a better look and to admire the build quality but being the nice chaps they are, they just left me a note to let me know they'd been having a sniff around!