930 engine cut off

OliverBloom

Hi all. I am experiencing what feels like the onset of a problem with my 3.3l 930. I had the engine cut off while driving off from stationary. The engine was still cold. I managed to get it stared after a couple of minutes. The starter has been working fine. The fuel pump fuses are OK and I quickly checked that the pumps work by alternately taking out each of the 2 fuses. I have not tested whether the yellow relay in the engine compartment is good. What might be relevant, is that I have recently noticed the car being slower to start. Similar to a weak battery, however I have checked that and even kept the car on a ctek since, so  as to eliminate it. Any thoughts?
much appreciated!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it's been quite the journey; long and expensive.

What started as cleaning corroded wires and doing all connections over at the front fuse box ended up with:

• new fuel pumps (preventative as one was noisy and probably starting to give up the ghost)
  • replacement front and back fuse boxes from ClassicRetrofit
  • new or refurb'd 'usual-suspect' relays & sensors (i.e. air flow sensor, speed relay, overboost switch)
  • doing away w all non-stock wiring work that had been done over the years
  • general electrics tidying up
  • CDI from ClassicRetrofit
  • adjustable WUR from Leask

Basically, almost all the labyrinthine fuel system components have been replaced/upgraded, while we were at it. As i said a long and expensive project.

Car now runs smoother than ever. May be the ££££ spent but it feels quicker too.. (for whatever it's worth, dyno'd at 364bhp/281whp -car has a few enhancements).

Anyone runs up to similar trouble, happy to share some of my -at times painful- experience..

Cheers all. The culprit was the CDI. Having said that, there were loads of questionable repairs from years past (like shorting some fuses & relays) and the relays were literally hanging by a thread. It would be wrong to upgrade to the ClassicRetro box and leave the corroded wiring and the rest..Also, decided to install Leask's adjustable WUR (a bit of a pain getting this from the US) to tune the car properly and (as) perfectly (as possible). 

I hope never to have to look at electrics again!

Edited by OliverBloom
some spelling corrections

Good job and thanks for using our products!  364bhp is pretty handy!

Most of the failed 6 pin CDI units we see are from Turbo Cars.  It’s the same unit as fitted to the SC but the Turbo engine bay is a much hotter environment.   It is more cramped so there is less air movement for cooling the unit.  

Just goes to illustrate that heat cycling is a major contributor to electronic component failure.

Hi Guy's

Thanks for the update

I had a rebuilt one fitted in 2015 by SCS @ £325.00 plus vat and labour @ 56,000 miles, I think it was just before Jonny started doing them, shame as I would have had one of his! but if the original lasted some 26 years not too bad

kev