77 turbo rebuild Q&A's

phil9300

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, R2D2 said:

Hi Phil, i've seen that before, it appears to be some sort of interference fit so any rust means it starts flopping around. I doubt these pivot/stems are any different from the whale/tea tray tail ones used on SC/3.2's. I have one from my whale tail (currently off the car) which i want to keep but would be happy to measure it though so you can double check. Alternatively the PET numbers should tell whether they are interchangeable. Welding cadmium plated items (which these probably are) is very dangerous BTW!

Kind Regards,

Nathan

thanks for the information about it Nathan, the SC version looks the same on the porsche parts list and is still available, so i have one comming and i will let you know if it fits and works.

i am still in need of versions of period radios fitted to our cars, if anyone has a picture of one feel free to post it.

cheers

Phil

HI Phil, for period radio try ChromeLondon.com 

I have a 77 C3 (Ice Green with cork & tartan) which had a Blaupunkt Frankfurt but Mike Seer will tell you the right model for a 930 & he can also provide period models with 21 century innards, dab, bluetooth etc.

Regards

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 8:07 AM, JSM1965 said:

HI Phil, for period radio try ChromeLondon.com 

I have a 77 C3 (Ice Green with cork & tartan) which had a Blaupunkt Frankfurt but Mike Seer will tell you the right model for a 930 & he can also provide period models with 21 century innards, dab, bluetooth etc.

Regards

perfect, thanks for that, will post some pictures when i get all installed

cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:21 AM, R2D2 said:

Hi Phil, i've seen that before, it appears to be some sort of interference fit so any rust means it starts flopping around. I doubt these pivot/stems are any different from the whale/tea tray tail ones used on SC/3.2's. I have one from my whale tail (currently off the car) which i want to keep but would be happy to measure it though so you can double check. Alternatively the PET numbers should tell whether they are interchangeable. Welding cadmium plated items (which these probably are) is very dangerous BTW!

Kind Regards,

Nathan

ordered a wiper pivot for an SC with whale tail which did look the same on the parts diagram but is longer and fatter than my old turbo, but as can be seen on the pictures the actual part with the ball joint on is identical as it has the same number stamped on it, but no way of getting it to fit on my spoiler

so i got my original held gently in a vice and used a ball pein hammer to gently pein over the shaft so it took up the wear in the lever, all now back together and works perfectly.

is nice to work on old cars where things were made so there is a chance they can be repaired, unlike todays motors which have most things made out of composite material which is made to throw away when worn out.

still looking at options for radio but will try and get the car on the road for summer

cheers

Phil

wiper.jpg

wiper2.jpg

The correct number you wanted was 911 628 915 00, think its NLA though!

I take you bought 911 628 256 01 ?

18 hours ago, Type911 said:

The correct number you wanted was 911 628 915 00, think its NLA though!

I take you bought 911 628 256 01 ?

yes, was told by local OPC the 00 version went NLA in 2014 , the bigger one pictured is the 01 version, was worth a punt on trying it but am happy now its all working fine. 

when i get the old girl finished i will need to put all of this type of stuff on Ebay.

now just need to decide on the head unit.

cheers

Phil

• 2 months later...

Going back to the Windscreen issue

i have just had National windscreens turn up to replace the screen on my 83 turbo

three times before they arrived I told them  what screen it has ( green with green top tint and HEATED!)

So tbh it was no surprise that they turned up with a non heated screen but with built in antenna (single wire)

Upon speaking to the office they told me a correct screen was £1024 ! And that my insurance company capped the price of a screen at £500.

Funny I said.......it's £275 on Design 911s site!....... that fell on deaf ears.

i spoke with the ins co and they told me that I can buy a screen and have it fitted independently then as long as the total isn't over £500 and I pay the £90 screen excess that they will then refund me on receipt of the invoices........can I be bothered or do I just fit a screen without the elements in it. After all it will never see ice ha ha 

The correct screen with your spec is 93054101102 its NLA from Porsche though!

Design 911 list that one but not sure if it will be a top tint as the part number is for a tinted & heated 91154101121/2 and its £450.00, the one at £275.00 isnt tinted?

• 4 months later...

been a little busy with other stuff but the old girl is now pretty much finished, wheels refurbed with new pirelli P7 tyres and a working period radio from chrome london

but what is the consensus on ride height, factory setting? or slightly lower/higher?

MOT next spring, fingers crossed and then out on the open road where she belongs, i hope.

cheers

Phil

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg