Would you sell

Supersport Mike

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Probably not in reality - the 997 would be a great car and far more practical (in particular air con is becoming a necessity for me) with the benefit of being quick, economical, and fairly anonymous. On the other hand the IB is a really special car - even smells different to other cars. If you've got a good one and sell it you may never be able to buy another. I couldn't part with my IB I think but that's sentimentality more than practicality. In the end I bought a boxster as well as affording both wasn't really an issue whereas a 997 as well would have been extravagant!

I'd keep your IB. That 997 looks nice in Cobalt but that's a 997.1 so the IMS issue is present and it doesn't appear to be an "S" due to the brakes so you aren't really getting much performance either. Your IB with the wider arches looks fantastic and will only go up in value.

I'd get something cheaper to accompany the IB personally. I had a 997 Turbo and got bored of it pretty quickly.

A very nice 997.2 should be a direct swap for a G50 3.2. No IMS issue there. Standard Carerra only 10bhp down on a gen one 997S.

If yours is a genuine Supersport I would think you will have plenty o change. Maybe enough for a delicious 997.2 GTS which really is one car to do it all.

As to whether it’s a good idea or not, depends how much you use your IB. If having a more modern car means you can enjoy it more, I say go for it.

Edited by reddevil

29 minutes ago, reddevil said:

If it's about money, keep the IB.

If it's about driving, choose the one that you will drive most.

1000 posts and still can’t spell Carrera ;)

Too many 997s in the world IMO, maybe a R8 or a Gallardo?  Don’t do it for me either really, but more attractive to me than a 997 if you don’t need the rear seats.

Speak to Twinny, he swapped an air cooled garage queen for a 997 which gets regular use.

I'm a big fan of the 997, I really think they nailed the looks (which the 996 never quite sussed) and aren't as fat & soggy as the latter cars.

1 hour ago, longman said:

I got offered a 997.1 turbo and 5k last yr for mine , I was very tempted .. maintenance costs put me off somewhat

Really? I found maintenance very reasonable on my 997TT. The Mezger is pretty drama-free.

41 minutes ago, SP72 said:

Too many 997s in the world IMO, maybe a R8 or a Gallardo?  Don’t do it for me either really, but more attractive to me than a 997 if you don’t need the rear seats.

Have thought about a Gallardo converted to RWD (apparently quite easy to do) but they seem fairly dated now. 

Thinking about 997s a GTS is probably the best all rounder but a GT3 is what I'd want. 

Hmm, ok. But as he had just done all that you would be good to go for a long time, no?

Mine was fairly low mile etc so just required basic services from Porsche and I didn't notice a big bill there. To be fair, I didn't own it for years and years so can't say for sure but I spoke to my dealer before I bought and the service folks thought it was one of the least costly models to maintain. It's a great car for what it is but you had to really stretch it's legs to get the full effect whereas the IB seems fun at legal speeds. The 997TT at legal speeds is a snooze-fest. That being said, if I could have converted easily to RWD (like the 996TT) I would have kept it.

2 hours ago, ALEX P said:

Speak to Twinny, he swapped an air cooled garage queen for a 997 which gets regular use.

I'm a big fan of the 997, I really think they nailed the looks (which the 996 never quite sussed) and aren't as fat & soggy as the latter cars.

But he's a sliver haired surfer so doesn't count

997 would be too sterile, too accomplished for UK roads but would be a nicer place to be stuck in traffic

14 hours ago, ALEX P said:

The only time I miss the IB or 964 is when I’m on a bash with you lot, and then primarily because running with the Cab’s top down (which we do most of the time) gives me access to the noise they make and the eye watering fuel fume trail they leave in their wake😋. In essence the mechanical noise and smell of the beasts.

In a perfect world you’d have both. The question for me was use. Fact was we weren’t using the 964, whereas having sat down and looked at what we wanted from a car the choice became clear and that’s born out by how much more we use the 997. These things are meant to be driven. If you’re not driving it then what’s the point?

I don’t like the narrow body 997’s. If you look at the rear 3/4’s from 45deg the bumper has a funny angle to it in my eyes. Solved on the wide body cars, which I why I went for a 4S. Nige’s point about depreciation...fwiw I keep an eye on these things and my 4S Cab in Guards Red is hasn’t lost a penny in the 3 years I’ve owned it. Buy sensibly and you should see the same.

Here’s a thought.....The SSE is worth a bit more than a regular IB. Sell it, buy a decent SC or 3.2 and with the change buy a Boxster. Job done.

VT