Door alignment

RichD1

Thought I'd start a new thread as the other one went down the targa refurb route.

Where can I get various thicknesses of spacers to adjust the gaps back and front and is there a technique and procedure to follow to get them right.

Appears that there is only one thickness of spacer unless you make your own.

Dave Nunn tells me that the gap between the door quarter light frame and the windscreen frame is too tight and it is compressing the seal excessively. You can see this when you look down on the seal line from the top and when it gets near to the bottom of the quarter light frame where the plastic bit of trim fits over this and onto the door, the seal is compressed in.  

My dilemma is that I think the front edge of the top of the door where it curves round the front wing already looks slightly gappy. Also the height of the door top at the B post line looks good and the gaps down the rear and along the cill look reasonable.

Can the quarter light frame be moved backwards and forwards or only up and down?

Having looked at it more closely I think it is only this bit of plastic trim which is causing the problem.

I've attached some pics to hopefully tell the story. What do other Targa owners think?

In the first pic you can see the seal coming down the frame but then it disappears behind the plastic trim. The gaps in the 2nd and 3rd pics measure 5mm and the bottom gap is about 3mm.  

P1030934.JPG

P1030925.JPG

P1030927.JPG

P1030928.JPG

Is there anything else I can adjust rather than adding another door hinge shim because as you say the gaps are pretty good at the moment.

Can the quarter light frame be moved back a bit? But if it did then it would open the gap at the top of the windscreen.

Is the quarter light frame able to move up and down within the door frame.

Backwards and forwards movements look impossible because the frame is bolted to the front of the door beneath the 2 blind grommets. 

The problem is made worse by the plastic trim at the joint between the quarter light frame and the door frame. Does everyone have this fitted?

P1030936.JPG

The quarter light frame has a small amount of adjustment up/down but not forward/backwards. Each adjustment has a knock on effect to your main door glass position which you will also need to adjust using the glass stops if you decide to move the frame. This in turn impacts the contact areas of the seals at the top of the door glass. The plastic section at the base of the quarter light was introduced to prevent water ingress and wind noise in this area, Early Targa don't have that piece so you could consider removing it as a starting point before adjusting everything. Door shims will lead to new problems with panel gapping that you don't seem to have right now.

Cheers

FF

Thanks for the welcomed responses.

Glad you agree that the door gaps look good. The whole door does sit slightly proud but that I assume is a slight movement of the in/out on the door hinges.

I've also noticed that the whole windscreen is pushed up when the door is closed. Will further adjustment of the quarter light position in and out help to reduce this? Plus if I could get it to sit a mm down this might solve the problem.

Quite normal for Targa windscreen frame to move at the top rail when the door is shut. You have approx 5mm in/out adjustment on the door hinges and approx 10mm up/down of the quarter light frame. Just be prepared for further 'knock on' adjustments being required when any one element is moved.

Cheers

FF

Hi 

have not done this on Targa, on a Coupe there is a small bracket attaching the bottom of the frame to door.Slacking the allen bolt allows in / out adjustment.More adjustment can be made by removing or adding M6 washers,part 8 illustration.804-20.gif.70bc1dc304b1219ad2d96b35064fff45.gif

In PET illustration the adjustment bracket is part 11

Yes, I had to replace that bracket last year when I had it apart to sort out the window motor and switch. I've probably forced it too far in now which isn't helping but its difficult without some datums to work particularly as the targa top fits poorly at the moment. 

From what everyone is saying it looks like slight adjustment to the quarter light frame might be the answer which I believe Southdown do as part of their watertightness checks.

I've now got the bit of plastic trim off between the bottom of the quarter light and the joint with the door frame and there appears to be quite a bit of black mastic under it. Pic. 1

It was also held on by a plastic push rivet which doesn't seem very Porsche like. Pic.2.  Don't see any reference to a plastic plug in the PET diagrams.

Measuring the gap with and without the plastic trim, I can a piece of 5mm without and 4mm with which corresponds with the thickness of the plastic.

Would you recommend that I clean all that existing black mastic off a reset the trim in some new stuff sparingly applied.

P1030938.JPG

P1030940.JPG

P1030942.JPG

P1030943.JPG

I stand corrected on PET year 86 for my car there is no plastic trim plug shown, but on PET diagram for 89 there is a plastic trim plug. Looks like mine my have been modified in the preceding years.

Can any Targa owners give me some advice (Pics would be good) on their door gaps and how tight the leading edge of the quarter light is to the windscreen pillar and the seal.